Small kitchen design help
M L
We are starting the process of remodeling our kitchen. Our house is a 1960's ranch with a L shaped, 12 ft x 12 ft kitchen. We'd like to rip out the soffit and put cabinets up to the ceiling to maximize storage space. So far, we like the look of shaker style in a dark finish (espresso maybe). A big concern of mine is if the dark cabinets are going to overwhelm the room and make it too dark. There is one window over the sink and a fixture above the table.

I'm going to try to attach photos but this is my first post- hopefully it will work!
Dark cabinets can be beautiful (especially with simple shaker doors--my favorite). I'd recommend doing a very light countertop and backsplash, light wall paint and lots of can lighting in the ceiling. Then you shouldn't have any trouble with it looking too dark, and you'll have plenty of lovely contrast.
March 25, 2013 at 11:53am   
carolins
Some ideas for your inspiration:

The Woodshop of Avon
Madison St
Linda's condo kitchen

And an ideabook about dark coloured kitchen cabinets:
Ideabook: Are You Ready for a Dark and Sophisticated Kitchen?

You can also do the lower cabinets in a dark colour and the upper cabinets in a light colour.
Contemporary Kitchen
March 25, 2013 at 12:01pm     
K B
First, if you haven't already done so create an ideabook on HOUZZ, then go to browse rooms, kitchen, type in --"dark wood cabinets" small kitchen--. Not only will this give you loads of ideas to add to your ideabook, but you will see that dark cabinets when combined with other finishes will not make your kitchen too dark. As feeny recommended using a light countertop, flooring, backsplash, paint, etc. will help keep the space light. Also if you can add task lighting (undercabinet lighting) that will help as well. And you can always put in a light fixture that gives off more light and add a dimmer switch, so it's only bright when you need it to be.
The Woodshop of Avon
Kitchens
SW 45th
Contemporary Kitchen
March 25, 2013 at 12:02pm   
M L
Thanks for the quick responses. I did start an idea book; there is so much to look at here! I'd really love a "fun" backsplash. Something like the attached picture. I'd also like to do some frosted glass in the upper cabinets, hoping that would reflect some of the light around.
March 25, 2013 at 12:20pm   
I would be a bit hesitant to put espresso cabinets with that beautiful backsplash tile, just because I think the effect could look too dark for the room as a whole. But a rich, medium-toned wood cabinet could handle that backsplash nicely.

March 25, 2013 at 12:34pm   
carolins
If you do upper cabinets with glass doors, you could have lights inside the cabinets too.
What will be the flooring in your kitchen?
March 25, 2013 at 12:45pm   
M L
Flooring will be simple 12x12 tiles in a light color or vinyl/laminate to LOOK like tiles. We've got beautiful hardwood floors in our bedrooms and I just don't want them in the kitchen as well.
March 25, 2013 at 1:14pm   
carolins
Have any of our comments helped you towards deciding whether you'd dare to go with the dark cabinets? Or not?
March 25, 2013 at 1:24pm   
M L
Yes, thank you for all the ideas. It gives me a much better idea of what it will all look like when it is all put together.
March 25, 2013 at 2:20pm   
carolins
Keep us posted please, would love to see what you'll be going for. And if you have any more questions or doubts, just throw in another comment :-)
March 25, 2013 at 2:55pm   
need help with a design plan for my small kitchen
My kitchen is 10w x 12long, I need a floorplan for...
New help with designning small kitchen
I have one wall that is 8 feet with a window in center...
Help on small kitchen design?
Any ideas on what I should do for my small kitchen....
Need help with small open kitchen design
Hello, To say the least i am struggling with my new...
kitchen backsplash
I have compared and looked for months and have finally...
Help! Awkward living room
I have no idea what to do with this room. We ideally...
How do you submit photos onto Houzz
Just wondering how you add photos on Houzz.
What color to paint my living room?
I am hoping to have a resort, beach type feel in this...
Steam Shower feedback, please
I need some advice on a custom-built steam shower versus...