Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajwoods158

Help! What would you do to the exterior of this house?

ajwoods158
11 years ago
The old school exterior paint/stain makes me cringe every time I look at it!

Comments (22)

• ajwoods158
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is another angle.
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    11 years ago
    Well, paint it then! Friendly colours to me would be tones of yellow, blue, green. I could live with gray, greige, beige, steel blue, deep country green.
    I think you need a feature on the side of the garage - build some windows, a trellis or two, some globe cedars or flowering bushes. Something that says, "How do?"
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Paint and a pergola!
  • cocinera
    11 years ago
    Really. I think it's lovely. Please investigate thoroughly before painting. The house I grew up in had stained siding. My parents decided they didn't like it and painted over it. Big mistake! The stain oozed through the paint, forever after causing it to bubble and peel.
  • cocinera
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I just looked again, and I still think it's lovely. It goes perfectly with the roof and the greenery.
  • tegroves
    11 years ago
    Be careful here..it's lovely as is.
  • tegroves
    11 years ago
    If you do anything...use a natural sealer with no color..to protect the natural beauty.
  • ajwoods158
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow. You guys are definitely making me second guess myself! :) I think what really gets to me is the fact that everything is the same color. Would you suggest changing the trim and doors, at least?
  • ajwoods158
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Joe O'Connor, this is the eastern-facing side of the house.
  • tegroves
    11 years ago
    I was just looking thru some houzz photos for you....have you thought about a high end solid wood door? Many styles available..I'm seeing one with panes...would look excellent. Put your money there rather than the paint ...you have a beautiful, classic home here.
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    11 years ago
    Sorry cocinera, but I see black lines and that means mould. I would powerwash the mould out of there, let it dry, prime and then paint. But I am from Canada with rain, trees and lakes. Moss grows on roofs. You get the picture? We even spell mould differently.
    Is it just a dry peeling paint that we are seeing in this picture? Are you loving the weathered effect? In Canada/Ontario we see that on unpainted barns. It's awesome and some people panel walls with barn board for a rustic effect.
    Please show the look people are striving to achieve.
  • ajwoods158
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't think that it is mold. A fresh coat of stain (same original color) was applied only a few months ago.
  • ajwoods158
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @tegroves could you please post a picture of the door you have in mind?
  • Dee Gould
    11 years ago
    Love this look..beautiful..i think a lovely fire engine red door and leave it at that...the red door would be a pop of colour yet not take away from the over all look of the weathered look of this great beauty...update landscape in direction of cottage garden but again dont distract from look of the house...good luck
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Nope, I think you want to apply a fresh coat of gray stain and call it good. You could paint the front door - red has been suggested, bright sunshine yellow would work, as would most brights. To complement this unique tone, I would want a periwinkle or lavender door. I love the plantings and would not add pergolas without an architect designing them - you have a gem.
  • decorina2
    11 years ago
    I think the existing look is attractive and would be complemented by a large red leafed sculptural Japanese maple to the right of the window and an architectural trellis (that is, not a wimpy one!) to support vines with a strong color flower. Good luck and enjoy your project!
  • decorina2
    11 years ago
    Oops...the trellis placed on the garage wall.
  • decorina2
    11 years ago
    A charcol gray door would staqnd out and be a nice accent as well.
  • Rare Bird
    11 years ago
    Think u cold move some of the shrubs away slightly from the front to the sides and add a few small trees and colourful shrubs dwarf phormiums give color all year in variagated green and purple pink shades
  • Maria Metler
    11 years ago
    What about a lower clad in some kind of rusted, corrugated metal offsetting the exsisting stain. to take caution when painting over stain! Not quite sure the size of your landscape beds but add height next to your garage with forsythia or some easy colorful plant and add color to what you have in the main bed by mixing in some ninebark, or other solorful decidous shrubs and some annuals for pop! have fun. you have a blank slate!
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    AJ I think that for many of us, seeing the weatherworn look of your home for the first time it has charm. I would do what you want to do. Many people like the weathered stain look, but if you don't, then it is yours to alter. I imagine that the big plain wall on the left is the garage? It's too bad that it can't have a detail. Maybe a built-in bird house condo under the ridge peak? Or an architect might suggest a nice something to break up the monotony of that wall.