Fireplace surround! Will ledge stone work?
Shannon Pavey
I love the look of ledge stone fireplace surrounds but not sure if it'll look right on my surround. I think a smaller ledge stone would look best scale wise but.. What do the Houzzers think? Thank you!
Ironwood Builders
Shannon, We can make just about anything work..we just need the right amount of money and a design! I guess what I'm trying to say is...we are only limited by imagination and the budget. I recommend talking to a local design professional and getting detailed drawings of what you would like to do. Stacked stone is totally on the table...But find a local pro! You can research local design professionals here on Houzz by hitting the "find local pros" tab on the header above and following the prompts.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 10:46PM
Shannon Pavey
Thanks Ironwood Builders! I actually work for a fabulous designer but want to identify if there is a design issue with the current surround before I bother the pros. Well, I guess I'm still bothering the pros... on Houzz! You're so right though, anything can be done... just takes time, money and a pro! :)
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 10:56PM
lastplace
Wow, a whole lot happening here. I think the problem here is that you have 4 square boxes (tv, fireplace, bookshelves, picture) and they appear to be floating on the wall. You need to ground the fireplace! One solution would be to change the mantel to something heavier and much darker. If budget is an issue, choose a color that works with your room and paint the mantel. The mantel appears to be the same material as the walls so it would be very easy to do. With this quick and cheap fix you will be very surprised on how it will change the look. Another thought, would you consider putting the tv above the fireplace to cover the arch completely? I think the arch does not work well with the whole look.
2 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 5:28AM
Ironwood Builders
Shannon, jumping into design, is there another place where the TV can go? Seems like the chair in your photo has a different focal point? I agree with the thought that there are four individual elements on the wall and four is a difficult number. Beyond that, the height of the TV and placing it above a heat source are contentious issues here on Houzz. I personally don't care...I don't own one, choosing to be here on Houzz in my free time. In any event, stripping down the facade and eliminating the column effect and the niche will simplify things. Your asymmetrical design needs to be played up, since I don't think that can be changed. Your style is contemporary? So your stacked stone idea can go from floor the mantle with a good heavy reclaimed timber mantle and new heavy doors in a similar material to cover the firewood storage. It doesn't need to be for storage, that's just what is intimated by the doors and their rusticity. Inset the doors a few inches. Above the mantle, no large rectilinear elements. Decorative objects that vary, some with height to move the eye up, some intimate to invite a closer look. Conceivably a series of related artwork hung as a triptych. Smaller and lower...and not centered. You'll need to play with it? It was late last night when I was posting...it can take some time for inspiration to hit...and a night's sleep helps!
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 6:10AM
Shannon Pavey
The space behind the TV was a niche until my husband framed it out so we could hang the TV there. It now looks the same as the side with the arch and picture, drywall, textured and painted.

I like the idea of changing the mantel. My style is contemporary so I'd love to do ledge stone from floor to ceiling. I also like the idea of adding storage to where I currently have a bookcase for equipment (firewood storage area). Custom cabinetry with a decorative glass might look good. Need the equipment to work through the doors, glass is a must.

If I change the mantel to large timber, should it still reach all the way across or just over the fireplace? It's hard to visualize how to change this huge focal point in my house.

Thank you for your input!
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 6:24AM
Shannon Pavey
Ironwood Builders, the chair is not my favorite but will have to stay for now. I hope to get a more colorful accent piece in the future. It faces the kitchen and nook area which are open to this family room. I also had the brilliant idea to paint stripes but was quickly shot down. It's okay though, my husband wasn't thrilled with the idea anyway. See here... http://houzz.com/discussions/406350
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 6:31AM
Ironwood Builders
One of the reasons I try not to get into design/color discussions...those folks can get vicious!

So..about the stone...yes, it can go all the way to the ceiling. I rarely push for the maximum because it pushes the maximum budget too. Balance is everything! The mantle should go the whole distance... We are accentuating the asymmetry and that helps. The doors to the storage cabinet can be solid. You just need an infrared repeater to run your equipment. They can hook you up at Radio Shack. I need to reread your post. I'm on my iPad and my memory fails.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 10:23PM
Ironwood Builders
Shannon...I was merely observing the direction of the chair in my comment. I'm not here to judge matters of taste. Your chair is comfortable I'm sure. I will, on the other hand, be a total a$$ about building codes and best practice construction. I am a nuts and bolts commenter for the most part. Only reason I jumped in to this one is because it wasn't getting much attention. I'll continue to look for your posts and comment as you require. I really think if you love some design element, it's my job to figure out a way to make it work, not step on it.

Run my ideas past your coworkers and boss. See if they then offer up ideas that either support or refute my thoughts. As I said, I'm not a designer.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 10:32PM
Shannon Pavey
I really appreciate your input Ironwood Builders... I hope the tone of my response didn't seem too forward. When I was working as a designer in the new home industry, I learned to not only appreciate the finishes of the home but the craftsmanship and skill behind each install. You may not be a "designer" but as a builder, your opinion is still valid. Thank you for your input!
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 10:45PM
Ironwood Builders
Shannon! Seems we're both being as polite as can be! You have not been "forward" at all! I was trying to make sure you understood me and didn't take offense at my comments! I'll keep in touch! And Folsom? NorCal Folsom?
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 11:25PM
Shannon Pavey
Yes! NorCal Folsom! Everyone always asks, "Folsom like... Folsom Prison?". I'm thinking, here we go again. I don't even notice it, inmates never escape. It's a great city to live in. Great weather and close to Lake Tahoe.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 11:34PM
nancy22032
That giant TV overwhelms the fireplace, storage and picture completely. The look is so unbalanced - you have
a four-square arrangement with a top corner square dominating. If the TV is so important, why not turn the area into an entertainment center eliminating the FP etc.? I really don't mean to sound harsh but how can a stone facade
correct this imbalance? If the fireplace is important, then don't make it compete with the TV. A TV
no larger than the fireplace itself would not create such a visual problem but I know how men are about their TVs. I'm afraid I am not much help .
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 1:08AM
Ironwood Builders
Shannon, we never finished the discussion about the possibility of shifting the TV to a different area and creating two focal points in the room. What are your thoughts on this? That spurred my initial comment about your chair and I'm wondering if we could go back to it? We focused on the fireplace and mantle, seems like you have a plan there. I do think the TV is overpowering the fireplace...and will no matter how much stone we put in it. I have no TV, so apparently I'm not too manly! But I do know that lowering the TV will make viewing easier.
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 2:32AM
Ironwood Builders
And now the code geek steps in! Is your fireplace a wood burner? If it is and you do any work with permits, the new air quality rules make you change the fireplace to gas only...even if the work is purely decorative.

I spent some time working the American River, pulling out in Folsom Resevoir...long time ago. Love the foothills. Not as much as wine country, but great area!
1 Like   March 28, 2013 at 2:43AM
Shannon Pavey
Nancy22032, I see what you're saying... the TV is huge and overpowers the space. My thought is that adding a more powerful visual element would help disguise our monster TV. It's a tough fix. The fireplace definitely can't go all together. We use it when it gets very cold in the winter.

Ironwood Builders, I'd like to say our room is flexible enough to move the furniture around and create a second focal point. The dimensions of the room won't allow me to move it around, our sofa would be facing away from the kitchen and practically sitting against the island. Definitely not an option but I appreciate the thought... I came up with two mock images of what I've been imagining. Let me know if you think it helps this wall at all or if I should just leave it as is. Oh and the fireplace is gas/log but we don't burn wood in it. Big no-no in our area, gets too dry and it's a fire hazard.

Thank you!
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 6:48AM
Realstone Systems
I think a ledge stone would look great and a wonderful idea to bring it up to the ceiling! And if you're going all the way up, you could center the TV on the mantel. There are options to go with a thin stacked stone if you are worried about proportions as well.
2 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 7:28AM
Shannon Pavey
Thanks Realstone Systems! Would you recommend doing a medium color tone, something that will hide dirt? The existing tile around the fireplace tends to get dirty after we've used it. Is it possible to clean ledge stone?
1 Like   March 28, 2013 at 7:47AM
Realstone Systems
You don't necessarily have to choose your color tone for hiding dirt. You can simply clean it with soap and water as well as seal it so it doesn't get dirty as often. For your room though I think a medium tone would really make your fireplace pop. We have a bunch of different colors and profiles including a thin stone if you wanted to go that route.
1 Like   March 28, 2013 at 7:58AM
Shannon Pavey
I really like the thin stone and the colors you recommended are so warm. Thanks for your input Realstone Systems!
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 9:46AM
The Victorian Fireplace
I love the idea of the stacked stone, it gives the wall the textural element it's crying for. Great call on the code issues too Ironwood. Pretty pictures are nice, but if the rules aren't followed, it's just plain bad advice!
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 10:14AM
Realstone Systems
My pleasure :) Happy to help!
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 10:34AM
Ritchieos
Center fireplace if possible. Keep length of mantle ang go all the way up with you stone and add no cabinets, open shelves maybe, inset niche with downlighting on interesting non sports related art pieces, find another spot for the tv thats the fireplaces domain over there... Cant put it above, too high for as close as the seating seems, i got nerve damage from looking up at my tv and pinching nerve in neck has apparently been the mystery of my numb fingers.... Who woulda thunk... Im no builder, no designer,,, just calling it as if i walked into the room.
0 Likes   April 1, 2013 at 10:58PM
What is the best product to paint old kitchen tiles pure white?
I am trying to remodel/stage my kitchen which currently...
Need help Exterior and Interior Retreat Studio
Little over a hour north of Atlanta this modern studio...
Dining Room
So undecided on what color to paint my dining room,...
Vinyl windows, white or beige/tan?
I'm trying to decide between white or beige windows?...
Open concept and grandmas buffet
I love my Grandmother's buffet and had plenty of room...