Help with Window Treatment Uncentered Behind Bed
klfisher215
We just bought a beautiful colonial in NJ. The placement of the bed (cal king) is on the only wall that can accomodate it plus two night stands....unfortunately, the wall also has one tiny, uncentered window. Help!?
How should I treat this window? We need to be able to open during day, and would prefer not to cover it completely. The other wall has a window with the same issue, but we have flexibility in furniture placement. Your suggestions are appreciated!
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I would install a lined pleated drape across the wall at the head of the bed, extending across the window. It would be a one-way draw, drawing towards the left so that when you open it you expose the window. At night you can close it entirely and the window will disappear, and the bed will have a grand position against the drapery. Also do a pair of matching drapes on the other window, split in the middle and drawing back to the sides.
March 25, 2013 at 5:57PM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes they're pretty, Ed, but they don't solve the problem of the off-centre window making the bed position look awkward. Alas.
March 25, 2013 at 6:03PM   
tennisanyone
I agree with Cynthia both times.
March 25, 2013 at 6:13PM     
Lkristine
An idea would be, add an outside mount bamboo blind over what you currently have. Then add window panels on a large centered panel rod. Then find a mirror to hang aside the opposing side of the window so that when the bamboo blinds are up, it adds a valance type look, yet there is something there to balance the lack of another window. The mirror could be whatever shape, and you could do a dark framed mirror, or white framed to match the window. Either way, this would really help balance everything for night and day. Example rough images......
March 25, 2013 at 6:17PM     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Exactly what lKristine is thinking - one bigger blind to make the window feel and look bigger.

Hunter Douglas has all sorts of custom sized blinds - drapery panels can be purchased anywhere.
March 25, 2013 at 6:22PM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Only trouble is, you'd have to have the bed quite far out from the wall to allow the roll of the bamboo blind both to clear the projection of the mirror and to roll down the wall as you release its full length... If you are looking for light control (keeping the room dark at night for sleeping), bamboo is not ideal since it allows lots of light through. You have to watch the escalating cost of the blind too--there are limitations on how wide you can go with certain blinds, and the cost will be much higher than simple lined drapes on their own.
March 25, 2013 at 6:27PM   
Have you've tried the long dresser under the photos, your chest to the right of the window in question, and the bed and two night stands slid closer to the closet? That would put one night stand under the window and the one to the left would cover the outlet. If that is tight with the chest and night stand side by side, try just one night stand and add a chair angled to the right of the other window with the second night stand and lamp under it. You also have the option of putting the two lamps on the long dresser, and adding swing arm reading lamps on the wall above the bed with paintable chases covering the cords. This would eliminate the two night stands entirely. You could substitute floating shelves or drawers on either side if you must have a place for tissues, glasses, a book or clock. Traditional Bedroom 1 Master Suite Addition/Bathroom Traditional Bedroom 2 Bedroom Pottery Barn Holman Shelf Pacco Floating Drawer
March 25, 2013 at 6:28PM     
tegroves
Angle the bed between the two windows......better ventilation too!
March 25, 2013 at 6:31PM     
Lkristine
The bamboo blind suggestion wasn't intended for light control. It was intended for a way to add cohesiveness. I meant what is currently on the window could be kept if it is enough light control, or replaced for that matter with any inside mount room darkening shade. The bamboo shade idea was intended to balance the look, no matter if it were night or day. At night it would disguise everything and during the day with it up, could play the role of more a valance.
March 25, 2013 at 6:37PM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I see, Lkristine. Thanks for the explanation.
March 25, 2013 at 6:38PM   
Lkristine
Here is a relatively inexpensive blind option as well. These come plenty wide enough suitable for the situation. http://www.wayfair.com/Top-Blinds-Arlo-Blinds-Bamboo-Roman-Shade-in-Java-Vintage-04TBN-TPBS1005.html And the clearance with an outside mount blind would be quite perfect.
March 25, 2013 at 6:46PM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Nice looking blind but it comes in a max. width of 35" x 74" length. You'd have to line up a pair of them. The bed appears to be a queen (60" wide) and you need a wider width than the bed to completely cover the window and balance the width on the other side of the bed.
March 25, 2013 at 6:50PM   
Lkristine
Yes, you are correct, they would have to be doubled, here is another option. These come wide and long enough I think! http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Bamboo-Roman-Privacy-Shade-Blinds-Different-Sizes-and-Colors-24x72-to-72x72-/170969775487?pt=US_Blinds_and_Shades&var=&hash=item27ce97bd7f
March 25, 2013 at 6:55PM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes, the width on those is right and so is the price! I hate to harp on this, but they would have to be mounted on the wall, and there's no provision for it to project far enough forward to clear a mirror as it's lowered down the wall. Maybe the answer is to have no mirror, but two 35" blinds where you'd leave the left one down all the time, and raise and lower the right one? The room would only look "right" at night when the window is covered, but perhaps this doesn't matter?
March 25, 2013 at 6:59PM   
Lkristine
A mirror like this could work with only 1 inch depth, outside mount would clear that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Zebra-WOOD-Round-Wall-Mirror-Extra-Large-XL-Golden-Classic-Traditional-/130676012203 And you could leave it the natural wood color or paint it to taste?
March 25, 2013 at 7:11PM   
tennisanyone
Right now, one person has the wall to lean on and the other person is leaning against a window., probably not safe or comfortable. I think I would get a great big headboard and cover the window or try what Cynthia said about visually creating a second window using a blind for balance. Is that white door the entrance or the closet? Can you put the bed under the pictures and reverse the room?
March 25, 2013 at 7:34PM   
revss
I wondered also if the bed could be placed in the corner between the windows?
March 25, 2013 at 7:47PM   
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I would put a headboard and behind that you could hang curtains to cover the wall from the outside of one night stand to the outside of the next nightstand and give the illusion of having a large window. Or you could do the entire wall with drapes in a rich silk like material hung from floor to ceiling. For the second window you could just do a roman shade in the same material as you hang behind the bed.
Another thing I would do is to bring that dresser opposite the bed under the pictures and I would bring in two chairs under the second window. Have a faux plant next to the door close to the dresser. I'm attaching a picture of a chair that you can have two of to go under that second window above the dresser and have a small round table or ottoman to go between the chairs.

I hope it helps.
March 25, 2013 at 8:05PM   
Modern Age Designs, LLC
Or if you don't want to move the dresser from its place you could add a settee opposite the bed under the chairs or the chairs I just attached with my previous comment. Have a rug under the bed to ground the bed with all the wood around. Take a look at my Pinterest page. I have a board for Rugs.
http://www.pinterest.com/MADesignsLLC
March 25, 2013 at 8:09PM   
klfisher215
Thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate the time you took to respond to my question, and I am excited to have so many fabulous ideas to try. Sincerely, Katie
March 26, 2013 at 3:54PM   
Modern Age Designs, LLC
You're welcome
March 26, 2013 at 6:32PM   
mizmac1
I have the exact same problem, only to add to the problem or the centered bed and off-center window, we recently installed mini-splits in major rooms in the house. These are heat-pumps and A/C that are mounted high on the wall and are more frequently seen in Europe and other countries...probably a decorator's nightmare. The one hung in the bedroom makes hanging a floor to ceiling drape difficult and I don't know how else to camouflage the unit. The bed is situated on what seems to be the only available wall. If I turn the bed and put it on the long wall, the placement of the radiator (in the corner) means that I must place the bed way to the right, causing is not to be centered between the two windows on that wall, but more under one of them.... and in the doorway. BTW, the home is in an urban area, styled at the early 1900's in the Wardman style. There 4 doors in this one room and three windows in this room! I could move my Master Bedroom altogether, but it is the only bedroom with an en suite bath, so I am reluctant to move my master. Besides, the same condition would occur if I used another large room in the home... 4 doors, 2 corner windows and the mini-split again. I could probably live with the mini-split, if I could figure out the best placement for the bed and window treatments.Any help will be appreciated.
July 15, 2013 at 10:44PM   
Stamps Design Services
If you purchase "blackout" draperies, and hang them behind head of the bed, It will look like you have a large window, rather than a small one that is off center..... The ones in the image are faux silk, from bed, bath and beyond. I also recommend getting a headboard, so you dont accidentally pull the curtains off the wall :-)
July 15, 2013 at 11:14PM     
bumbles12
Could you put the bed on he opposite side where the photos are?
July 16, 2013 at 12:59AM   
chemayne
@tegroves has suggested a rather good solution. Angle the bed between the windows. I love your chic bedding. But something is missing. I think you hesitate because you have no headboard. Yes? Have a ponder at these headboard options.
Tall Grid Tufted Headboard
Window Headboard, Chocolate
Bekkestua Headboard, Light Gray
Ledge Tufted Headboard

Move the long dresser closer to the mirrored robes
Finish off both windows with some simple but luxurious treatments in silk that won't distract from the bedding
Modern Stripe Silk Window Panel
Solid Faux Silk Taffeta Platinum Curtain Panel
July 16, 2013 at 5:00AM     
Help with Window Treatment Uncentered Behind Bed #2
This was posted in another thread, but I thought it...
Light & Fan Switch Behind Bed - Place Bed Uncentered?
The wall that I am placing the bed against is 158"....
Treatment for uncentered window
All, At some point along the way, the previous owners...
Windows Behind Bed. Want Decor. Help!
I have a Master Bedroom with the only wall available...
Need help with off center window behind bed.
We just moved in. This is the final position of the...
Curtain dilemma,
The rug is coming out and I'm thinking of putting in...
Need help for Master Bedroom
Hello! I just moved to a brand new home and trying...
Color of kitchen hardware
I am finishing off my new kitchen and have a few questions...