What kind of granite and backsplash ideas for white painted cabinets?
hanks
We have white painted cabinets. Will have a lighter hardwood laminate floor. I don't want dark granite, and have my mind set on light blue or light green subway tile backsplash. This is for a shore home, so I like the idea of light and airy...just don't want it to be too much white..any recommendations for granite counter colors (we have a pretty big island in our plans) and for backsplash?
0825sam
What about a grey quartz with blue glass subway tile
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 7:21PM
2 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 7:22PM
hanks
Funny, I have this exact image saved to my idea book. I love it! My husband doesn't like the quartz...he thinks it's not "rich" looking. I just love the modern clean feel of this combination. Thanks!
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 7:43PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Have you looked at Bianco granites ? The Bianco colors tend to be primarily white and can vary greatly in price based on their rarity. A google search of Bianco granite will give you all the variations in color. A beautiful quartz that is gorgeous and more like carrera marble is Quarzite Bianco (white with grey veining). Light neutral counters with water- inspired color backsplash is like the sand and the sea. Always a great combination!
4 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 8:07PM
hanks
I do like Bianco Romano and Bianco suave for granite. Going to try to look at the gray/brown quartz as well.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 2:41PM
hanks
Any thoughts on those options I just mentioned with this combination?
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 2:42PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
I think the movement/patterned aspect of the granite looks best with solid color glass tile, like pictured. It just adds that organic element.
2 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 4:05PM
sixteen fourteen
We have a quartzite called "White Fantasy" (terrible name). It looks like marble but is harder.
2 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 4:11PM
Marble Expo
There is a granite called Juparana Delicatus, the back ground of it is off white / cream it also has some very cool crystal sections and silver sparcle in some batches of it! Also a light green like Costa esmeralda always looks great with white cabinets with a carrera white back splash and island or verde calacata!
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 4:18PM
hanks
@designers choice interiors. Based on that opinion, do you think my granite options (Bianco romano and Bianco suave) are good options then with light blue glass subway tile backsplash, white modern cabs and a lighter wood laminate floor. Thanks in advance as I want to make the best choice and appreciate others opinions! Anyone can respond to this...
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 4:45PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
I worry that the Bianco Romano may have too much purple or red mixed in with the neutral. Bianco Cashmere White (Cashmire White, Cashmere White, Kashmere white) could be another alternative.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 8:52PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Another could be River White (Valley White, White Springs), the sweeping pattern of this could be really nice with your light blue tile.
2 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 8:58PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Is Jasper Blue 3 x 6 subway tile what you are going with on the tile? If so, it is a grayish blue and you will want to take a sample of it when you go to look at slabs. You are looking for some version of that color in the gray tones you are seeing. Take someone who is good at seeing the subtleties of color, if you're not that discerning. You will know when you spot the right slab.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 9:04PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Definitely check out the Bianco Romano slabs though. Sometimes you luck out with primarily white, cream and gray. It may be necessary to visit more than one granite source to find your perfect slab. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Bianco Suave - I'm wondering if that is Bianco Taupe (which could work if there is enough white and some gray tones minus any purple or pink undertones). The names for granites can vary. I would stay away from any that have too much black speckling, yellow splotches or green undertones. Hope this helps! Keep me posted on your progress.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 9:18PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Did a little searching on the internet to help you visualize the idea of a light countertop with blue tile backsplash, as I'm not as big a fan of the gray/taupe. The first one (close up photo) looks like Bianco Romano to me. The others look like either Carrera Marble (not a good choice because it too porous for a kitchen) and Zodiac Misty Carrera which is a quartz (could be another option for you). Bianco Quartzite, which I mentioned earlier, is another Carrera alternative (horizontal veining aspects). I'll see if I can find a pic of Bianco Quartzite next.
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 7:16AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Notice that the grout in the Bianco Romano pic is a taupe/gray tone vs. white. It added a slight green cast. Grout color can greatly affect the outcome of your glass tile because of it's transparency and is sometimes chosen to connect better with the color elements in granite or other tile you are working with. This white has a very clean and contemporary look and I love the idea of the woven wood roman window shade in the bottom pics. It would add texture and would connect with your maple hardwood floor. This is the idea though for a more airy, shore inspired look.
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 7:26AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Bianco Quartzite
2 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 7:34AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
If I were taking you, as a client, I would ask to see all truly white granite, quartz and quartzite with gray veining. Armed with your accent tile, the information I've given you and your personal preference for pattern, you'll rule out several options right away. Get it down to 2-3 options at one supplier, then head to another supplier asking to see those same 2-3. Have your favorites tagged at both locations, and if possible ask if they can give you a small sample. Take pictures of the slab and note the vein pattern. When you get home, compare to the pics here and try to visualize it in your kitchen. I know you'll make the right choice for you!
3 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 7:41AM
hanks
This is a Kashmir white slab I found. It's hard to come by these days due to an issue with India who supplies it.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 4:57AM
hanks
This is Bianco Romano. It's taken indoors as opposed to the Kashmir white one which is taken indoors. Both seem to have many garnet speckles...I am worried that the subway tile won't work well. Any thoughts?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 5:01AM
hanks
The subway tile I am holding is a more green than what I want. I just haven't been able to take the samples with me.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 5:02AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Do the specks read really red in both? Or, is one slab reading less red and more dark mahogany? In the photo, the tile looks great with the Bianco Romano. I can see the greyish blue tone in both slabs. Although, as we know, computer images don't always pick up on the nuances of color. I made sure to point out this characteristic and hoped you would find a slab that would not get too red. They look very close to the above photo, showing a close-up and taupe grout.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 5:21AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
I think the tile looks beautiful with the granite. It looks very taupe and sandy, with mottled neutral tones. I would hate to have it be that you were unhappy with result because you dislike the garnet aspects in it, though. You will definately need that sample of your more blue tile. Were you able to look at any of the quartzite slabs or river white granite?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 5:33AM
hanks
Ok, I have since found a slab I love!! It's river white. It has great movement and I think it's perfect for the shore. The only bad thing is that I forgot my tile...there are two different slabs. The first one I love and the second one I love except the top left corner of garnet. What Do you think? I so appreciate your help and opinion. The bottom is the tile I love and possibly a blend of tile that I may try to use as a design element somewhere in the backsplash. (ignore the granite sample I that photo as its Kashmir white)
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 8:39AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Love, love, love!!!!! Good work.......love the tile, too! Beautiful, can't wait to see the end result!
2 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 10:21AM
Stoneshop
Beautiful! River White is such a wonderful stone. If you do not like that top left corner, ask your fabrication shop if they can avoid that area for you. Also, after template, see if you can view the layout of your kitchen on the slab just to be sure that that corner will not end up in your space.

I'm sure that everything will look great! Please post photos once it's finished!
2 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 11:47AM
hanks
Glad you guys like where I am heading. Thank you for the insights and advice! I do wonder about how to incorporate the blend smaller glass tile with the subway tile without a designer's eye. I want mostly blue subway tile with blend being a subtle accent/design feature. I do have two places I could imagine incorporating the blend...

1. in a frame (per se...with bull nose) in between microwave and oven

2. or in a section where I have a shorter glass door cabinets with a wine glass holder feature underneath. Any thoughts on this? My layout is attached.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:26PM
hanks
Another image.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:34PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Not knowing the orientation of the kitchen, it's difficult to know whether or not the range area would be visible enough to make it a feature. Due to the short space between the microwave and range and that being a shorter wall, I am more inclined to recommend that you do something under the glass cabinet. I'll see if I can't come up with something for you. Because the subway tile is running on a horizontal plain, I'm thinking it could be nice to run the accent tile on the vertical in that area. I'll try to send something through to you this evening.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:54PM
hanks
Another image.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 3:55PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Sorry so blurry, this would be the idea of a framed section. You could probably use the narrow blue tiles from the linear accent tile to create the border of the frame, if you like this idea. In this instance, I would definitely run the accent tile vertically.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 10:11PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Another idea would be to run a 3-4" band of accent tile, with the lower edge two tiles above the counter top, all along the backsplash. Accent tile would then run horizontally. Then in the area of the raised cabinet, add a second band. with the top edge of the band two subway tiles below the cabinet bottom (band width the same as below). Hopefully this all makes sense. Let me know what you think.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 10:19PM
hanks
Thanks so much! I do think it looks nice but I prefer the accent tiles not run vertically. Your second idea sounds awesome! I am wondering what this tile is called? I can't find the exact one online anywhere...without the make/name. Tks.
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 6:18PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
My thought when I first saw it, was that it was a Walker Zanger tile. Could be from the skyline collection? Where did you get the sample from?
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 6:32PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Remember, if you are looking online at images of grouted tile, the tile color could appear differently. Even white grout distorts color slightly in these transparent tiles.
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 6:34PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Hi Hanks! Just wondering how you made out - did you find your tile? Hope your project is moving along.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 8:05AM
hanks
Had a little snag with our cabinetry and appliances. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 12:23PM
hanks
Hi all. We've made a lot of progress lately. Cabs, appliances, new floors, and granite all in as of today.

Now up, backsplash and bar stools. I did choose James Young pendants and one arrived today and I think they will work. It's clear bubbly glass--very beachy.

Here's where I am...

I am rethinking the blue subway bc this light ocean green is jumping out at me in the granite? Was thinking on a lift gray green instead of light blue.

Also, any thoughts on barstools?

Hardware?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated and welcomed. Thanks!
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:46PM
hanks
Few more...
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
Stoneshop
It's looking great, hanks! Thanks for the pictures.

Something like this would look wonderful for your backsplash:
]
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 6:19AM
hanks
Barstools we chose. Good for beach--two in each color. Microfiber good for kids spills. Thoughts?
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 10:51AM
hanks
Thanks @Stoneshop. I love those tiles!
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 10:52AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
So nice to see your progress! Thanks for the update and love the barstools!! Gray is on trend right now but just loving the neutral backsplash stone shop recommended - timeless. Color in your accents is going to be fun and add so much interest! Great job, Tracey
2 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 7:06AM
0825sam
I love your kitchen, so I feel compelled to be the Debbie downer on the bar stools! I am sorry but I think you can do better. The microfiber reminds me of something that is more suited to a very casual family room and not really beachy.
I like some of the modern choices in this ideabook and you can find much less expensive versions at places like west elm or crate and barrel. Restoration hardware has been having a lot of sales on their bar stools as well.

1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 7:17AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Comfort, affordability and functionality - all qualities the stools you selected probably represent. The microfiber suede fabric is very practical and the colors are beachy. The mix of colors you chose, do give the overall look some personality. If budget were no object, it might be nice to take this same idea to another level and find a comfortable parson-style stool of longterm quality, that can be custom upholstered in sunbrella fabric or a 100% poly linen. I find many of the modern and minimal designs out there just don't measure up on the comfort scale, especially when this will be a highly frequented dining area. Perhaps, purchase the one you are liking and plan to upgrade, as it very likely these won't hold up over time. Typically, you need to spend $200+ for something more durable. Here's a few examples of a great counter stool that can be custom upholstered and the finish can be customized, as well. Fairfied Chair and Sam Moore ($400+)
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 8:30AM
Granite Surfaces
wild sea would be perfect for a beach house
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 8:50AM
hanks
Thanks for all the suggestions, even the constructive ones! I appreciate it and love some of the more modern stools! Cost was definitely a factor, but not the deciding factor. Our kids are very small, so we definitely want backs and we want something that's easy to clean and comfortable. These had all those characteristics. I am picking them up tomorrow, so hope I love them in the room. (This whole kitchen was not really a planned renovation, so I'd rather keep the expense on this aspect low as possible, especially with the recent storm and "here today, gone tomorrow" frame of mind down here. $400 a stool would be too stressful. I would have the kids eating on the floor, lol...:)
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 6:40PM
hanks
Wild sea granite has the right name. Reminds me of the ocean!
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 6:41PM
hanks
Some pics of the most recent renovations. Thanks for all the insight. Also included a pic of our hardware.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 12:48PM
hanks
Few more.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 12:48PM
pstaples1975
I am doing a kitchen renovation and love how yours is coming along. I actually love the bar stools you picked out. I think I'm going to do the same for my bar. It looks very comfortable and I have two small children as well - so good call!!
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 1:12PM
hanks
This is Ann sacks arabesque. Was thinking about getting this fort kitchen backsplash in the color azure. This may be the color or slightly different--either way, azure is a blue similar to this. Thoughts? Will this date? Is it the right choice?
1 Like   September 25, 2013 at 6:27PM
pupu4u
thanks for sending me the link to this thread, now I am definitely thinking more blue-greens for my paint and I wish I had found the arabesque tile you posted earlier. I absolutely love it!! Would have used that over subway tile in an instant. The arabesque shape seems pretty timeless to me, it has that Moroccan feel
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 9:58PM
Need help on hardwood floor decision
Hi Everyone! We have an open floor plan and there is...
I need help with my kitchen!
Hello. I am a new homeowner and need help with ideas...
Need help on my bedroom windows
Hi guys! I recently took off cellular shades and floor...
Please help with clock height over server.
Is this clock at a good height above this server?