Need help with exterior finishing and colors

lovebalancedlifeMarch 25, 2013
The house is in Toronto Canada and I would like it have an Eclectic look . could you please suggest wall finishing and colors. Thank you
rinqreation
What materials (and their color) will be used? (roof, stone, doors, windows) And what are your favorite looks and how does your neighbourhood (houses,style, color) look?
    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:14AM
Ironwood Builders
Hmmm, a third wall element? The horizontal banding of the stone and brick make a pretty strong base...but I think, even though they are related to the fence, they add visual clutter...and make it seem like the fence is dictating the facade and not vice versa. Eclectic style...to me just means mixed up but works together. I rarely come across this reference for exteriors. From a cost perspective we are usually trying to K.I.S.S. the facade. My recommendation is to run the brick all the way up to the top of the fence line and create a water table. Above that I think a board and batten or board on batten siding would look pretty good. I'd need to hear more from you about "eclectic" before making further recommendations.
    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:23AM
rinqreation
Just for the visual, you could enlarge the entry/porch.
    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:39AM
lovebalancedlife
Vary nice, I love the widening up of the Porch, what a great idea thank you. What I call Eclectic is something in between Traditional and Contemporary. I would like the house to have a unique look but not so different in a way that only I think it is nice . The one of the "norms" for less expensive exterior in the new building in Toronto is to use stone to cover the first 1/4 of the house and than plain stucco. I am not too found of this style. Sidings are not used at all here.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:16AM
rinqreation
In the Netherlands houses are mostly made of brick. Or concrete and brick. Not much siding either.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:42AM
Ironwood Builders
Dare to be different? The siding can be James Hardy products...so cementitious anyway. I like rinq's idea of widening the porch but would match the roof pitch of the dormers. As an alternative? Go all stucco and look at British Architect CFA Voysey for exterior detailing. He was a contemporary of Baille-Scott in the early British Arts and Crafts movement.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:03PM
aimran
i like the widening of the porch suggested by rinqreation.. as it accounts for the asymmetry at ground level created by the single window on the left of the door. also like Ironwood Builders's suggestion..

plus i don't get why you have another size of the first floor openable windows in the ground level too.. is it so necessary to add that window? why not just add long panel glass on either side of door if you really need that much openings/glazing.. is it a bathroom ventilator?

hmm, another alteration to widening porch suggestion would be to widen it on the odd window side but not too high up.. i-e on the right side of the door.. therefore centering the door.. n resolving the odd window issue too as a result.. IF that isn't a bathroom ventilator
    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:19PM
lovebalancedlife
Thank you for your comment. The opening s of the windows is dictated by what is there at the present time. This house is a renovation of an existing house with an addition of an attic as a second floor. As much as I love the idea of widening the porch I will not be able to use this idea as I have two windows on each side of the existing porch which will Bering natural light into the basement level. I situated very large window wells and a large windows (4x5 and 3x5) with some landscape inside the Window Wells to allow the basement level to feel more like an above ground level rather than a dark basement.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:24AM
lovebalancedlife
Thank you Ironwood builder. i did look at the work of both architects. In Toronto have areas with houses build to resemble their work. I love the idea of a curve entrance. I will put pen ( pencil) to paper and see where it takes me . Thank you
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:34AM
Trinitas architecture
I think you should look carefully at the balance of the facade elements. The two right angle dormers make a strong statement linking the face and fenestration to the roof on two thirds of the length. I think more balance (not symmetry) could be achieved by firmly establishing a link between the front door element / porch and the foundation portion of the facade as the 3rd third of the length. The problem I have is the rhythm established by the windows to the left of the entrance that belong to neither but compete with both. I feel they should either participate with either the dormers or the foundation or completely get out of the way and be random. These "links" could be achieved by incorporating the stoney foundation materials up into the porch and door surround / columns, and conversely the window arrangements to the left could align themselves with those of the dormers.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:37AM
lovebalancedlife
Sorry correction I could use the idea of widening the porch but without extending to landing area. The small window is not as small as it is in the drawing this is an interpretation of my Engineer. In reality the window is as tall as the other windows and a little wider.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:39AM
rinqreation
It doesn't need to be solid stone :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:38AM
lovebalancedlife
with this Porch element I feel I might not need the stone at all and go with plain Stucco as Ironwood Builder suggested or have the stone carry to include the porch area but in this case choose a very subtle/gentle looking stone, and d not as ruff looking as in this drawing. . The colors I seem to gravitate toward are dark gray, light gray / wood Ceder or pine color) . I ma also thinking that to complement the feel of this face I need to change the look of the windows. Possibly kind of french door look ( two windows open and even in size ) with maybe a havey Grill at the top.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:53AM
Exterior cladding colours?? Help with colours and finish
I need help with design & colours for our new home -Thinking...
ecva24
Need Help Picking an Exterior paint color
Hey Friends, I need some advice from any of you out...
Cullen Ben Daniel
Help! Need Exterior Paint Color to Match White Roof in Florida
Goal #1 to reduce our solar heat gain thru color,...
1pinkharley
Need help with exterior color combinations!
We just finished redoing the inside of this little...
angjoe
Need help finalizing exterior finishings
Any ideas and comments are appreciated we are tying...
gtdream
Need help with a paint color for my front door
I'm looking for a black cherry paint color for my front...
maddymaddy
Best paint color with honey oak
We just purchased a new home with all honey oak trim...
kfrugoli
1st house .. no idea where to start. Living room/dining room help!
Hi guys! I purchased my first townhouse and am closing...
c_perrella
Ugliest fireplace in existence
I think I have the ugliest fireplace in existence....
Nanette Reid