A bonus room with a weird wall layout
gwinnett1983
I would like to make this a bonus room a media room for my spouse but unsure about the layout furniture and tv placement. The second picture is the view looking towards the stairs (previous owner pic)
Here are some ideas to get the creative juices going:
Obviously you need a tv, sofa and table. I like the idea in the third picture of creating a panel in front of the window which allows some light if necessary, but has a TV mounted on it.
More details as to what you intend to put in, does he watch tv, play video games... etc etc. These require different electrical and storage solutions - also what colours does he like
Addition and Renovation to a Coastal Home
Kids Rec Room
Vicente Burin Architects
March 26, 2013 at 1:33AM     
gwinnett1983
@ASVInteriors He watches tv and play some video games. Besides for the family room this room would be a place for him to relax and hang with friends. He not a fan of the yellow so he wanted something more along the blue color for the walls. As far as furniture not sure yet. If we can get an idea about the tv placement then it can help to decide what type of furniture pieces.
March 26, 2013 at 1:41AM   
mkdesignstudio
I agree with the idea of a panel for the tv without disturbing or closing the light from the window , because is an especial room keep the walls light color and add darker accesories to make the difference.
March 26, 2013 at 1:50AM     
I am looking at your photos, and why I liked the Vicente Burin Architects photo is that it allows for more space between a large screen and a sofa. (If you place a sofa against a long wall, and the TV on the other, I'm not sure how much space you have) So the orientation would be facing the window. This would entail building a false wall in front of the window on to which you could hang the TV, and storing all the equipment behind it. You would have indirect light coming in the room (from behind the panel), but not a view? Would this be acceptable? Some people love it; others would hate it.

For colours - is this a warm or cold location? If it is okay temperature wise - I would look at colours with some grey in them: BM Celestia Blue and Luxe - would these work?
March 26, 2013 at 1:52AM   
gwinnett1983
Not a fan of the false wall covering the window. I want to keep the sun light coming in and just get a curtain or room darking blinds to help shed some of the light when necessary. Do you mean the location of the room?
March 26, 2013 at 2:32AM   
Yes, I was trying to work out if it is warm in the room or cool? If you have a cool room and cool colours = a lot colder psychologically. Would the orientation of a sofa against one wall, and the TV opposite or in a corner work?
March 26, 2013 at 2:37AM   
gwinnett1983
The room is over the garage but it has a vent that allows for heat and air but usually it is warm up there. I like the idea of the tv being in the corner and not covering the window. As it is pictured in the kids rec pic. I don't want to block the window. The walls are too close together for a sofa and tv to be on opposite sides of the wall.
March 26, 2013 at 2:53AM   
That means the blues I suggested could work.

I would then place the TV in the corner by the window. (What do you think of the example in the Kids Rec Room with a TV on a swivel arm?) This would help if you got a big sofa against one of the walls?
I would get both blackout blinds plus curtains so your hubby could watch movies anytime of day without interference of the light.
I suppose something like a Lazyboy sofa might go down well.
You might want a large square ottoman so they can put feet up or seat additional people (preferably in leather for wipeability) -
A fridge for drinks.
March 26, 2013 at 4:34AM   
gwinnett1983
I loved the kids rec room design with the tv in the corner. We were just talking about maybe putting a L shaped couch maybe along the wall. The long part along the wall and the smaller part coming around where the back part is facing the stairs.
March 26, 2013 at 5:28AM   
That makes great sense (I have been loathe to recommend it as I am not sure of the width of your wall).
If this is the case, an L shaped sectional would be great. The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't come so far out that to get "into" it, your guests/hubby don't have to duck too low by the ceiling.

If you move it inwards a bit, you can add a sofa table behind it with lights (so that if no TV is on, there is a reading/task light behind).
March 26, 2013 at 5:32AM   
butlera
We have a "bonus room" similar to this in our home. The kids use it as a playroom, therefore there wasn't a lot of wall space left for a big TV. My husband came up with the idea to buy a small projector and we use the angled wall as a big screen for movies. The kids sit against the opposite wall, on bean bag chairs, to watch their movies. It's the perfect angle for optimum viewing. Your husband would probably prefer a more adult style of chair/couch, but the concept could work. The pocket projector below (Vivitek QUMI LED Pocket Digital Projector) is similar to ours.
March 26, 2013 at 5:42AM     
gwinnett1983
How does your husband hang the projecor at the wall?
March 26, 2013 at 5:47AM   
butlera
The projector is tiny. That's the great part about it. When you're done with the movie, there's no eyesore of a television. We have it set up on a little tripod, on a shelf.
March 26, 2013 at 6:05AM   
dreamhouse2015
Put in a big couch and make it a warm feeling sort of like a theater room
March 26, 2013 at 6:59AM   
soberg
Strongly recommend that walls and ceiling be painted all one color to de-emphasize odd lines.
March 26, 2013 at 7:07AM     
gwinnett1983
ok well my husband wants to make the room blue something a little more masculine. Just need to decide on the color blue to go with.
March 26, 2013 at 7:19AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hey, here are a couple of units which will hold a TV and components without bolcking the window completely.
March 26, 2013 at 7:56AM   
samj515
Putting a screen over the window and having the TV there seems to be the best option. I have a sofa in our family room that might work in your room. I got it here. http://manhattanhomedesign.com/downlowsofaset.html
Also I think maybe a bench might work on the one of the sloped sides.
March 26, 2013 at 8:06AM   
samj515
Here is a better picture.
March 26, 2013 at 8:08AM     
gwinnett1983
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design what kind of units are those? Are those connected to the wall?
March 26, 2013 at 8:24AM   
gwinnett1983
Samj515 I actually like this sofa. It is very unique and different.
March 26, 2013 at 8:27AM   
gwinnett1983
What size tv would fit good in this space, maybe hanging in the corner of the room from the ceiling?
March 26, 2013 at 9:26AM   
gwinnett1983
my husband was thinking a 55' or 60' tv
March 26, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Jayme H.
How wide is your room? It looks somewhat narrow in the pic with the bed in it...Do u have a pic of the other end of the room? A t.v that large will need some space.
March 26, 2013 at 9:30AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
The TV units you are interested in at: mippu.com, chiasso.com, and others. Italian manufacturers of modern furniture will have these sort of units. The one which mounts from a single post will take the size TV you are thinking of and it pivots to reveal storage space. If you just search the addresses I sent and Google "Modern Italian Furniture" there are similar units from other companies. If I can suggest some details: look for units which are constructed of steel or aluminum. These will hold the weight and feature a trim profile. Most have a pole, post or column at the back which is meant to hide all of the cables. You can then opt to have the cable connection and electrical box installed in the floor. This is not a big deal or big expense.
For seating, the sofa that samj515 suggested is beautiful (B&B Italia) I think is the maker. But you will also find low profile comfortable seating at the same sites I mentioned. Companies like West Elm sell Futon seating though it's not as comfortable for adults as it might be.
March 26, 2013 at 9:44AM   
gwinnett1983
The room is est. 20 X11
March 26, 2013 at 9:49AM     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Goofed on the site names above..................easiest to Google the key words.
March 26, 2013 at 10:04AM   
gwinnett1983
ok we were just checking them out now
March 26, 2013 at 10:14AM     
gwinnett1983
I can't wait to get started on this room
March 26, 2013 at 8:22PM   
gwinnett1983
any other ideas for this room. He's so ready to get started on this project.
March 28, 2013 at 5:43AM   
Mona Ives
Great advice - but I'd suggest you hire a designer if you can. This is a tricky room and hard to design "online". Even if you just have one do a floor plan for you.
March 28, 2013 at 5:45AM   
gwinnett1983
Great idea. I want it to be my husbands relax room (Man Cave) but trying to figure out how to go about it has been a headache.
March 28, 2013 at 5:53AM   
help with bonus room layout
here is a house/floor plan I fell in love with. http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=3083 its...
Small living room with weird layout...Need ideas!
So our living room is tiny- about 12 ft by 12 ft I...
Great room, but why the weird layout?
I love the red sofa and grey paint but the layout just...
Our smallish bedroom Layout and a weird media room
So my husband and I bought our first house about a...
Weird living room layout help. Radiator, doors and giant stove in the way
Would love any creative help with positioning furniture...
Need Help with this Kitchen!
Hi all! Husband & I are in the process of purchasing...
What window treatment will give me light AND privacy?
We need to replace old window treatments in our dining...
What color should I paint the hallway alcove?
I am stumped, Houzzers. Behold our upstairs hallway....
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
How to Crown foyer
My foyer drops to a flat ceiling, please tell me how...