Kitchen Remodeling Help!
asmaa_baker
March 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving into this apartment in Africa the kitchen needs complete remodeling I don't want to put too much money into it
It has two doors one that opens towards a sunroom and one that opens towards a hall keep in mind that there is a door between the sunroom and the hall a window that opens towards the inside of the house ( useless in my opinion) i need a refrigerator a stove with an oven and a microwave and a small table if possible any ideas
This a 12x12 kitchen
Cabinets are concrete I don't know whether to get rid of them or just add wood doors and add wood cabinets on top walls
Please Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
I appreciate you are in Africa and building standards are somewhat different.

First of all, it needs a good disinfection and clean. My initial thought is tear down and start again - it is a pretty badly beaten up room!
I will leave it to expert builders to give you a diagnosis on the concrete (whether to keep or discard) but the cabinets are useless and need to be re-done. You may have to install all new cupboards and counter. What facilities do you have near you? Do you have a homeware store (like an IKEA) or is everything built by carpenters? This will help us to help you.
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 2:28AM
charleee
I have to agree with ASV, the only thing I would keep is the wall tile, and that's iffy. You seem to have a L shaped kitchen, search Houzz photos using L shaped kitchen as your search term, you'll no doubt find something you like. [houzz=
]
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 3:41AM
carolins
Okay, so we're all agreed... the cabinets have to go and the counter top is everything but hygienic.
If you like the look, a cheap and certainly unique solution could be to just source different cabinets from your local stores, markets, etc. and assemble a new kitchen from that.

2 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 3:49AM
soberg
To be frugal, I would consider facing and topping the counter with a laminate, glued and/or screwed down. Thus you will have a clean, solid work surface. Remove and store cabinet doors, clean thoroughly inside cabinets, and then run up some little curtains to cover the storage. Or use open baskets on shelves.
2 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 4:07AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
Build or purchase an open type cabinet. Doors are expensive. Fill the open areas with some baskets with lids. A concrete counter top. They can even incorporate a sink. Clean, new and not expensive. Kitchen Ventana Lidded Basket Small
2 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 5:00AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Good idea Kelly - definitely less expensive.
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 5:28AM
asmaa_baker
Thanks for the advice you have been very helpful. I will let you know what happened
2 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 11:13AM
PRO
OnePlan
there's a company called 'African supplies Ltd' that I did some designing for a while back - they bring in cabinets from UK to Africa . My email details are on my profile if you want send me a mail - I can mail you back their contact details !
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 1:21PM