Need advice on metal roof color
adams4fsu
March 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a lake house in Florida and want to replace the current brown shingle roof with a metal roof. The siding is dark red (which we like) and want color options for the roof. We're thinking about dark green or brown. The little bit of trim on the house is brown as well as the gutters. What do you think of green?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
Personally I would suggest a simple Ribbed Mill Finish panel. Darker colors will fade over time in this Florida Sun no matter what they tell you and tend to look dirty after the birds start visiting. Mill Finish will also give you endless color options over the years for the house. (Mill Finish Looks like Raw Aluminum)
March 26, 2013 at 3:48am     
soberg
For Florida, I strongly recommend you prioritize comfort and sustainability, and select a "cool roof", i.e. one with a solar reflective index (SRI) of 0.30 or greater. This will save you money on AC (when and if you run it) and keep you much cooler when you don't. Cool metal roofs come in many great colors, e.g. Copper Brown from http://www.berridge.com/berridge_cool_roof_colors.htm
March 26, 2013 at 3:55am   
DIAspoton
i'd do some chg for energy efficiency. for appearance, a simple light gray or raw aluminum look as cusano suggested. the house seems quite dark for florida.a light roof will look better and be neutral if you choose to paintt the siding in the future.
planting thick drifts of low maintenance native grasses would work wonders towards curb appeal.
March 26, 2013 at 4:15am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Isn't Florida well known for its tin roofing? Have you considered that as an option? I seem to remember those were the traditional types of roofing and there was a reason (reflected sunlight ??- but I can't imagine how tin doesn't get hot?) -
March 26, 2013 at 4:47am