awful looking end to my house
hallega
March 26, 2013 in Before & After
This is the end of my house, it has a kitchen/diner on the ground floor and a bedroom with an en suite upstairs. I absolutely HATE it! We have great views but I'm not sure what sort of doors to put where the windows are. It faces North West and has horrible brick elevations and wooden windows and tiles ALL brown Yuck! Bet you can tell by now how much I really like this house! It's timber frame upstairs, brick below, what can I do to cheer this poor house up.....help...please.
cattfamily2012
It would break up the brown color if you added shutters and window boxes. Otherwise French doors are nice with wood trim. Could you put a trellis with flowering vines between the future doors? It could set in a pot.
March 26, 2013 at 9:33AM   
hallega
I like the idea of shutters, I actually bought one to see what it looked like, it helped a bit. I really would like to get rid of the roof, it makes it look like a bungalow. As it faces more North than anything it's rather a cold end and I've had plants die on me due to the wind chill, we're 500ft above sea level. Thanks for the ideas, it's much appreciated.
March 26, 2013 at 9:40AM   
HI -- This house and area would be a great spot for a sunroom exstention ,but because it faces NW , that might not work . Also, I think the clipped roof peak is also adding to your dislike. Perhaps adding a set of french doors and a veranda/deck , depends on what rooms are there. The only other thing would be is to paint over all the brown . Maybe a creamy light tan or a caramel or a mossy green. Also planting a few whispy trees would look nice . Maybe some weeping birch trees , then they won't block any views and they grow fairly fast . Start with the color change first and see if you will like it more. Looks like you have a beautiful property !
March 26, 2013 at 10:10AM     
hallega
Well thank you for the compliment and yes I shouldn't be so ungrateful but after 26 years of saying that I hate the brickwork it's time to actually do something about it. My husband has been adamant that he likes brickwork..but it's SO boring. Your right about the clipped roof, it really doesn't do it any favours does it. I did threaten to paint the bricks but he would have gone ape...I like the idea of the birch trees, they are rather pretty, and I do think your right about the colour change. PS It's not so beautiful in the freezing conditions at the moment we are experiencing...I'm frozen!
March 26, 2013 at 11:33AM   
HI -- hallega -- Where are you ?? -- it looks like your in Britain -- we have the startings of spring here in Calgary Alberta Canada -- but the wind still has a chill , - so still cold . But the weeds are nice bright fresh spring green against the dirt on my south facing front soon to be landscaped yard !. --- So true - husbands don't like painting brick and wood for some unexplained reason !!
March 26, 2013 at 12:38PM   
Could you add some kind of pediment on the clipped roof?

March 26, 2013 at 12:47PM   
Triangle Brick Company
Please think twice before painting brick...The Brick Industry Association states that, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”
March 26, 2013 at 1:22PM   
kitasei
Rather than paint the brick, clad it in vines. Just avoid one that will strangle you.
March 26, 2013 at 1:49PM   
Window treatment help
Trying to decide on window treatments. Do I need to...
new post and ballusters dimensions for outdoor wrought iron railing
What should be the diameter dimensions for the newel...
Dream House ?
I Need Help Creating My Dream House , I Want It To...
Help with updating living room furniture and decor
This is our living room, with 16-year-old Natuzzi leather...
Length / height of console table for large couch
Does anyone know any rules of thumb about how long...