Cabinets
jennjustella55
Our designer measured wrong and our cabinets are not trimmed out. It's driving me crazy... I am having our contractor finish them but we can't match the stain... Should I paint my cabinets? I was thinking white and paint the island a dark grey but I'm so overwhelmed! Suggestions PLEASE!!!
yvonnecmartin
Why can't you match the stain? My friendly painter took a cabinet door home and mixed stains until he found a match. So, look for someone who will do that for you. Don't settle for what the contractor tells you--go to an independent shop, even one that makes custom furniture may be able to match the stain.
March 26, 2013 at 12:35PM     
leelee
I'm assuming you're talking about the space at the top of the cabinets, right? First, I would think you could get really close to the stain color. Take a drawer to a paint store and have them try until they get it right. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction then try some white molding that would join the top of the cabinets and the ceiling at the front & sides of your cabinets. It's not ideal but I wouldn't give up on matching the stain without several tries. I think painting the cabinets would be the very last option. Other than the cabinet goof your kitchen looks really good.
March 26, 2013 at 12:56PM   
Showcase Kitchens
To be on the safe side, why don't you just make them a different color entirely? Yes, it's an unconventional look, but can be very attractive.
March 26, 2013 at 1:06PM     
0825sam
I was wondering the same as Showcase - there are photos on houzz of cabinets with a black molding. However, since you already have the white crown molding in the room, I don't know that it could work.
I know that the ideal is to have the cabinets to the ceiling, but there are a lot of kitchens on houzz where there is a small space and it still looks nice. You don't have that giant space you sometimes see that is calling to either be filled in or have "stuff" on top of it.
March 26, 2013 at 1:21PM   
jennjustella55
Love the idea to make the cabinets on top a different color all together, it would work on one side of the kitchen but I'm not sure how it would work on the side with the fridge.....
March 26, 2013 at 1:28PM   
Coates Design Architects Seattle
agreed - a good painter should be able to match any stain. don't compromise.
March 26, 2013 at 1:29PM   
trudela
I agree with the people who suggested choosing a different trim. Pretend that it was intentional... You might be very happy with the result.
March 26, 2013 at 1:31PM   
leelee
Still, who's going to pay for this little project of re-doing the cabinets? It really should be the designer's place to get the stain matched. The designer that measured wrong probably won't pay to have the cabinets re-finished which will cost quite a bit.
March 26, 2013 at 1:41PM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Not to nit pick, but I would have put a cup pull on the trash can pullout.
March 26, 2013 at 2:44PM     
Need help with my living room!
love these new curtains but need some help figuring...
Help on ideas for my entryway.
This is a very old farmhouse that has been remodeled....
Is there a standard window installation? Room for curtains?
I stopped by my new house build last night. I'm wondering...
What is "Texas Style?"
We saw a bit of controversy over an ideabook about...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...