Ugly red doors anyone?
aprild480
I am not quite sure what to do with this kitchen. The house is in a very rural ranching community and sits on 10 acres of land. I am wanting an eclectic modern farmhouse style that works well with 5 young kids. We are planning on painting the cabinets white, changing the backsplash and light fixtures. And of course repainting everything including those ugly red doors! I'm just not sure what color tile for the back splash and what type of light fixtures. Also paint color, I know I want white but what shade of white?? Any ideas out there? This kitchen connects to a big family room that I will also post a picture of.
Nar Fine Carpentry, Inc./Design.Build.Cabinetry
How about doors in a Charcoal grey, Cabinet in a French White with a Soft Yellow backsplash subway tile. This would soften it up. And if you had to keep the black appliances, the Charcoal doors would help them to not pop out as much. I would also suggest to either eliminate the wallpaper or update it with something with a subtle blue.
March 26, 2013 at 2:06pm     
0825sam
I actually like your cabinets with the modern farmhouse look. Or maybe a combination of wood and white. Either way, I would paint the red doors black. I think a white subway tile with some slightly contrasting grout would look nice in this context.
Here is a pic for some ideas. I love the lights in this kitchen too.

March 26, 2013 at 2:08pm     
0825sam
There are also several ideabooks for inspiration on the "modern farmhouse" look http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/query/modern-farmhouse
March 26, 2013 at 2:10pm     
Kim Ritter
If you like modern decor you could go with a black, silver and white theme -I would extend the wooden floor into the kitchen if at all possible and take out the tile. Also some brushed nickel hardware for the cabinets would pop on white cabinets. You could put some black leather stools at your island and use a glass tile backsplash incorporating those colors. Staining the island a dark cherry would also look nice
March 26, 2013 at 2:10pm   
K B
If you haven't already done so, create an ideabook on HOUZZ, go to browse rooms, kitchen, type in farmhouse or eclectic farmhouse and you will get tons of ideas (you can add "white cabinets" to farmhouse kitchen to limit the results more). Then add any pics you like to your ideabook.

Are you going to change the floor and/or countertops? If so, to what? If not could you please describe them? Looks like a speckled white/grey corian countertop from here, but not sure. Couldn't hazard a guess on the floors--vinyl maybe?

Also the cabinets don't look bad to me. Have you thought about just updating the hardware?
farmhouse sink
Kitchens
Debra Campbell Design
Eclectic Kitchen
March 26, 2013 at 2:14pm   
OnePlan
Hi ! I would white wash the lot - including the T&G in the stairs area - go for a Nordic style !! Keep the wood floor ! And the blackboard cupboards . As for colour - over here in the UK we have a very slightly taupe white which would be subtle enough for a room that size made by Dulux - called Egyptian Cotton I have a photo on my iPad I think will attach it for you ! It's of my lounge !!
March 26, 2013 at 2:15pm     
aprild480
I love the idea of grey or black doors! And the cabinets are actually in really good shape and look fine. Maybe just by putting in a subway tile back splash and painting the walls white will brighten it up enough without having to paint the cabinets. The countertops are brown and white Coriann and are pretty neutral so will go with anything. . The floor is ceramic tile and I am hoping we can change and extend the wood throughout. Thanks for all of the great ideas!
March 26, 2013 at 2:30pm   
aprild480
I was thinking of painting even the wood walls white also, but don't know how labor intensive that would be. Does anyone know what kind of prep it would require to paint them? Sanding, priming??
March 26, 2013 at 2:32pm   
OnePlan
@aprild480

It's best to sand first then knot treatment, then primer , then two coats of satinwood paint - well that's what my painter charges me for - he possibly just slaps its on !!! It looks so though !!
March 26, 2013 at 3:25pm   
OnePlan
That should say ' it looks ok though ' !! Predictive text !!!
March 26, 2013 at 3:49pm   
Sharon
I think white & teal & timber works really well together.
March 26, 2013 at 4:07pm   
brody1313
I like your cabinets.....and think you would get more bang for your buck if you would consider extending the wood floor, new countertops, possibly black granite to pull in your black appliances, new lighting, rework island bar possibly paint a contrasting color....liked the idea of black bar stools to pull in the black, new wall and door paint..........You probably have this color wood in the rest of your house and this would be new and tie into that.....good luck
March 26, 2013 at 4:22pm   
Ugly red aluminium joinery! Any suggestions?
Hey everyone. We have looked into getting our joinery...
What can be done about an ugly front door in a nyc condo?
I believe there is a legality involved in replacing...
Help with ugly and annoying closet doors
We have three closets like this in our apartment, and...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
counter height
I am having a small bath redone. It will have a "bowl"...
I need new window treatments
So I just had my entire living area painted RH Pumice...
Please HELP matching patterns!!!!
Last plea for help to match patterns in my master bedroom....
This or That: Nonstick VS Stainless Steel
Which do you prefer? Vote for your choice below...