9ft or 10 ft ceilings in our new/ old Greek revival home design.
wurtemburg
Husband and I cannot decide On 9 ft or 10 ft ceilings. Building a 4,000 sq ft modern Greek revival farmhouse.
The 10' ceilings would be glorious! But they would probably also cost more in building costs and air conditioning and heating costs, so it's a struggle. Perhaps you could have a combination of the two if you asked your architect for a compromise position.
March 26, 2013 at 6:13PM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
With ceiling heights and the luxury of having options higher then 8 feet, I think in 2 foot increments ( lumber dimensions ) If you're thinking 9, then why not 10. Next is 12. Do you want them that high? Also, are you planning 7 or 8 foot doors? Tall windows?
March 26, 2013 at 6:17PM   
bluenan
Go with the 10'. Like Carolyn said combine the heights, lower to 9' for baths. You can never add on, but you can lower for certain areas.
March 26, 2013 at 6:28PM   
Yarbro has a good point about the door height. I would definitely go with 8' doors with either a 9' or a 10' ceiling. To me that's the norm these days and the short 6' 8" doors just look squatty.
March 26, 2013 at 6:49PM   
wurtemburg
We are planning for 8 foot doors and tall windows.... I guess depends on our choice of millwork and moldings to make final choice. Was thinking of white vertical beams w wainscoting on ceiling at least in Kitchen...we have all windows and glass doors 4 grid..having trouble finding pictures of windows and doors like this too.
March 26, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Check out photos of doors on houzz and you might find just the right ones.
March 26, 2013 at 7:19PM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
If doors are 8 feet with wide trim and crown mold @ the ceiling. It leaves a sliver of wall between trim on head of door and crown mold if ceiling height is 9'
March 26, 2013 at 7:20PM   
Then one either eliminates the crown moulding or chooses a 10' ceiling in the area where crown is desired.
March 26, 2013 at 7:24PM   
Ironwood Builders
Or a 7' door? Stock door sizes are 6'8" and 7'0" high. 8' doors are special order and non-stock, ergo no easy add-ons or returns. 7'0" is appropriate for both 9' and 10' ceilings. Our local yards stock both 92 5/8" pre-cut studs for 8' ceilings and 104 5/8" pre-cut studs for 9' ceilings. For 10' ceilings we are cutting every stud. Drywall also comes in 54" widths for 9' ceilings and drywall labor and materials go up for 10' wall heights.
March 26, 2013 at 8:59PM   
brody1313
I have 10" ceilings downstairs entirely....9' upstairs, wish I had gone 10' there....8' doors.....you will love it!
March 26, 2013 at 9:09PM   
The 8' doors look fabulous! Ten foot ceilings look fabulous! Both are worth the extra cost if you can afford them.
March 27, 2013 at 7:21AM   
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
Rohnert Park Garage Doors
Getting a great looking garage door is just a phone...
Help with living room
Large open wall in living room, would like to use it....
What else?
What else does this space need? I don't have a ton...
What do I need to do with this space?
Just got the Farm House table, bench, and hutch for...