Black Interior Doors with 8' Ceilings
Elizabeth Beas
I'm in the middle of remodeling and I'm thinking about painting all the doors black. My husband loves dark colors and I prefer light and bright, but I do love the contrast of crisp white trim, a light neutral wall, and a black door. I also love the idea of not having to clean my doors obsessively! I have two large dogs who wreak havoc on white doors.

I've already agreed to painting the front and side exterior doors black, on the exterior. I am now thinking about painting one side of all doors along the hall (4 total) black, but leaving the other side white.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone seen this in a home with 8' ceilings? Keep in mind we only have indirect natural light through the living room and kitchen, but our light fixtures do a great job of filling the space with light. Also, our hardwood is fairly dark (see photo).

2) What do you think about painting only one side of the door? If you have a good argument for painting both sides black, please share! The ceiling height is what concerns me.

3) If you think the floorplan can accommodate all black interior doors, with the floors we've chosen (which will be throughout except in the bathrooms), what are your thoughts on black doors in a bathroom done with white carrara floors, vanity top, and showers/baths? We haven't ordered our vanities yet so if you have a color recommendation please share it too.

Thanks Houzzers!
Elizabeth Beas
The floor image didn't post... Here it is!
March 26, 2013 at 10:13pm   
Architectural Interiors LLC
I love black interior doors and white trim, but your house is too small with too many doors in the hallway. Not enough open space or windows to pull it off. Stick to light colors and try a high gloss black entry door.
March 26, 2013 at 10:28pm   
Elizabeth Beas
Thanks Architectural Interiors LLC. I totally get what you're saying. But these are the picture that made me think it might work in my house. Our hall is wider and our floors are lighter than the first one. The second one has doors much closer together than ours and appears to only have one opening with virtually no natural light. I would do a very pale gray like benjamin moore gray mirage. The pocket doors on the plan to the kitchen and the living room aren't going in so those opening will be the full width. Does this make it seem like it could work?
March 27, 2013 at 9:57am   
traciday
I have 8' ceilings and all of my doors/trim are painted black. It's fantastic, very dramatic. It's the thing people most love in my house. And in the end it's just paint; if you don't love it later, repaint.
March 27, 2013 at 10:06am   
Elizabeth Beas
Wow, I'm not doing great with the photo uploads, lol. The first one is the one with the floors that are darker than mine. I also found a hall that's actually heavier in doors than mine and more narrow and was able to put my actual floor selection over there's. That is the second picture. Also, my doors are 2 panel with an upper arch as in the third picture. The closet doors in 2 bedrooms are levered bifolds. The fourth picture shows one of those in black, but our closets have 2 and are full height.
March 27, 2013 at 10:50am   
Elizabeth Beas
Thanks Traci! Do you have a hallway with no direct natural light too?
March 27, 2013 at 11:00am   
Mary Dancey Interiors
What size trim do you have? I think that with very substantial interesting trim you could pull this off quite nicely.
March 27, 2013 at 11:02am   
Mary Dancey Interiors
Like this door and it's trim. www.houzz.com/photos/75289/Entry-contemporary-entry-boston
March 27, 2013 at 11:04am   
traciday
Yes, not much direct natural light in my entire house. I also have 1x4 black trim around everything. Go for it!
March 27, 2013 at 12:36pm   
Elizabeth Beas
We're doing 4" door casings and 4" base molding, and I plan to have the trim crisp white. I think this could work! Thanks Mary and Traci!
March 27, 2013 at 8:33pm   
trebinje
Definitely do it. Changing doors from white to black can totally transform your home. We did it recently and we couldn't be happier, it's stunning! After many trial color selections, we finally chose Sherwin Williams 'Caviar', which is a rich black with warm, brown undertones. The trims are a soft white and the walls are a warm neutral tan.

Re: painting both sides black, or combo black & white ... we also struggled with this decision, but finally painted all the doors viewable from the public areas black on both sides.
March 27, 2013 at 8:55pm   
Elizabeth Beas
trebinje are you happy with the outcome of painting both sides? I'd love to see pictures!
March 28, 2013 at 12:52am   
trebinje
Yes, we're happy with the decision to have painted both sides black.

See the Before & After pics below, note that we also changed out the brass knobs & hinges with oil-rubbed bronze. The double doors lead to the master suite, with a utility room and coat closet to the left. All doors in the public areas of the home are now black.
March 28, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Elizabeth Beas
That's beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the photo. I think I'm officially sold =).
March 28, 2013 at 9:20pm   
Bulkhead or no bulkhead
Hello We just recently installed a kitchen in an open...
I need help with ideas for red brick ranch design
My house is just okay. I feel like I don't have many...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
generic ceiling paint question
Hello All, My wife and I just purchased a single family...