Carrara Bathroom: How to add some drama without competing with the stone
Elizabeth Beas
March 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm carrara obsessed and have been as long as I can remember. I am prepared for the upkeep and can't wait to take care of my beautiful marble. That said, my husband prefers dark colors, and loved the black slate we are replacing in both bathrooms. I hated the slate, but I am very open to introducing some contrast through the vanity cabinets or flooring to include his preferences in our home. Specific color and/or material recommendations would be appreciated, as well as photos.

Below is a photo of our marble slabs for the kitchen and bathroom counters. Also below is a photo of the wood floors we will have in the rest of the house. Our color scheme is gray and greige (gray beige) with blue, white, black, and tan accents. We live a block from the beach in southern California. I want to keep the hard surfaces of the house neutral and introduce color through accents. I am using polished nickel throughout the house too.

Thanks for your input Houzzers!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bodhidesigns
Hi Elizabeth, If you want drama in your new Carrara bath, don't use ANY colors. Get a fabulous light. Take a look at Possini Euro Wrapped Wire. Whatever you choose should have some hard, sharp lines. Also, use a frameless shower door and a rain shower head. I love Carrara, too, but be aware that it stains easily.
March 26, 2013 at 11:09PM   
Elizabeth Beas
Thanks bodhidesigns. I'm starting to like the black vanity idea. See photos below. It still lets the carrara shine, but gives my hubby a bit of his favorite color. We are painting our interior doors black so I think the black vanity and black door will create a nice clean, complimentary look. What do you think? And yes, I am very aware of the care concerns of carrara. But I'm not afraid!
March 28, 2013 at 1:00AM   
bodhidesigns
I think your ideas are quite beautiful, with the bright wall and without, but either way, it's not the carrara that stands out. With the dramatic black cabinet, notice the mirror on the right hand picture (with the turquoise wall), it's quite a part of the drama! Good luck with your decor.
March 28, 2013 at 4:32PM   
0825sam
What's going on with the tile in the rest of the bathroom? I think your Carrara will shine even with a dark vanity. You could consider some interesting tile work in Carrara other than the counters like floor or shower and it will definitely be the focal point. Our shower is Carrara subway in a herringbone pattern and we have a dark vanity. The shower is the only think anyone looks at.
March 28, 2013 at 4:41PM   
PRO
Springs Construction Company
I'll suggest a dark, but not black cabinet for texture. That leaves the wall color options limitless. In this bathroom I used a porcelain to mimic your beautiful stone because I'm not as brave as you are.
March 28, 2013 at 4:42PM   
PRO
Ann Alderson
Black interior doors painted black are gorgeous (go with satin finish, not gloss). I do think, however, that black cabinets would be too high a contrast with the carrara (which I also love!). If you can have the bathroom cabinets custom painted, I suggest Moderne White (SW-616), Sedate Gray (SW-6169) for the bathroom walls, and Techno Gray (SW-6170) for the bedroom walls (sherwin-williams.com). The look would be timeless and seamless and one you will never tire of (like the carrara). Good luck, and keep us posted!
March 28, 2013 at 4:56PM   
Elizabeth Beas
Thanks for the ideas everyone! Ann, I really like that color pallet suggestion. It's what I've been envisioning!
March 28, 2013 at 9:18PM     
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
Hi Elizabeth, always nice to see SoCal people on here. We find that a lot of our clients love the results of putting dark wood cabinets under light colored countertops like your own. An Espresso wood finish may be the way you'd want to go. At least for the sake of compromise :) Good Luck!
March 29, 2013 at 11:36AM