What would you do to this room?
Merci Niebres
I just moved into this flat and had the great room painted oxford white, initially going for the swedish minimal look as i'd intended on hanging a variety of paintings/photography on the walls. I figured, white would make for a nice clean palette. This is the beginning of the project (see photo). I'm not feeling it, however. Maybe repaint, or maybe all the artwork will make it feel different, warmer, more inviting. What would you do differently?
Ed
Merci, you have a nice space. I like the wood floor, the oxford whtie, the sofa. Is that a rug? At a glance it looks like a giant Coca-cola or root beer spill. :) I'd like to see as much of the beautiful wood floor as possible, but that's just me. The space looks warm and inviting as-is. :)
March 26, 2013 at 10:38pm     
Alcove Decor and Furniture
You need shelves, Mirrors, end tables, bigger coffee table, art work. silk flowers over the fire place, and your rug is great but if you want a great make over I will suggest these ideas. can you upload more pictures?
March 26, 2013 at 10:54pm   
Sharon
I think you have made a good start. Keep on with your wall art, differing sizes would be great. I think another rug would work better. A mirror too.
March 26, 2013 at 11:03pm     
March 26, 2013 at 11:23pm   
bodhidesigns
Hi Merci, your space is working. You just need one big bold simple picture/painting--very wide and not very tall (similar in size, and proportion, to the three couch cushions taken together). I would not change the coffee table; I think you're better off with those two tables where they are--they're quirky, but fun. Also, tuck the cowhide under the sofa a little (so that the leg of the chaise section is sitting ON the rug); it may be better if you turn the rug--try it an another direction, including at an angle, although this may be the best the way as it is... Try the floor lamp on the other side of the couch, and a table (about as high as the sofa arm) and large lamp where the floor lamp currently is. A table (or similar surface for setting a glass of wine, or putting your book down when you're finished reading) near each sitting space feels inviting. Look at an Eames walnut turned-wood stool on this side of the chair. Post pictures as this progresses. This will be a great room!
March 26, 2013 at 11:33pm     
MG Mack
I think the artwork will bring warmth and interest and bring a more inviting cohesive feel to the room.
March 27, 2013 at 12:49am   
carolins
This room is beautiful. You're on the right track. I agree with bodhidesigns that the floorlamp will be better on the other side of the sofa. Why? It will balance things out. You have two tall things on one side now, which makes it feel lopsided a bit. Can you see that?
I'm not sure if your photowall will work above the sofa, unless you're also going to add larger pieces to the collection.
The rug is fun (ignore Ed, haha, he just doesn't like rugs in general).

No, don't ignore Ed, it was just a joke. But he really suffers from rug-fobia ;-)

Since you obviously like clean lines with a bit of 'quirky', you could also put a picture shelve above your sofa and make an art/photo arrangement on that.

living room
CrystalTech - [ Roger Hirsch Architect ]
March 27, 2013 at 1:11am   
carolins
If you like the idea of a picture shelve, I wouldn't center it above the sofa, but put it toward the side where your floor lamp is not standing. Again, to get a balanced feel.
March 27, 2013 at 1:13am   
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Need help with a 1930's kitchen
We're buying a 1930's colonial that needs some updating....
sectional? bad idea?
I know I know ...futon. we had a big couch that fell...
Coordinating fabrics
I have chosen this fabric for my kitchen and am looking...
Convert Loft into Guest BR/Office in a 1911 home
We just bought a 100+ year old home and are both excited...