polka_tie
June 26, 2011 in Photo Questions
Does this type of fireplace require a chimney?
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
A fireplace this big will have to be vented, but it does not require a traditional chimney like a wood burning fireplace does. It may even be able to vent through a side wall instead of the roof.

If you can work with something significantly smaller, there are some unvented gas fireplace options.

A National Fireplace Institute certified gas professional in your area will be able to help you with the particulars of your installation. Check out http://www.nficertified.org/ to find a professional near you.
June 27, 2011 at 5:44am   
Bimma Loft
you can achieve an even nicer look with a biofuel burner by ModaFire or Eco Smart Fire contact http://www.bimmaloft.com for more details- NO VENTALATION NEEDED!
August 10, 2011 at 6:55pm   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Allow me to rephrase: A GAS fireplace that big will need to be vented. The photo at the top is a gas fireplace, and it is vented.

The biofuel fireplaces suggested by @bimmaloft are an excellent solution where it is impossible to vent. They offer a practically unlimited array of custom options, using a simple stainless steel burner fueled by liquid or gelled alcohol fuel.

Ethanol (alcohol/biofuel/fanola/ozofire) fireplaces aren't governed by the International residential, mechanical or fuel gas codes yet, so it's a bit of a "free for all" until they become regulated.

There are some concerns related to alcohol-fueled fireplaces and unvented fireplaces in general. Traditionally, ethanol fireplaces are a bit of a trick to refill, and several burn injury lawsuits are in the courts specifically targeted at alcohol gel fuel product manufacturers. Because they are unvented, there are sizing guidelines that apply to biofuel/ethanol fireplaces to ensure that they do not deplete the room oxygen below a safe level. Ethanol fueled fireplaces do not have oxygen depletion sensors as required by law on unvented gas products. And some homeowners have issues with the odors related to ethanol burning, just as some have issues with unvented gas fireplaces.

It's a good idea to work with a fireplace professional familiar with all types of fireplaces to make sure you find the best solution for your application.
August 11, 2011 at 11:45am   
polka_tie
Thank you for the very thorough answer ... it is appreciated.
August 11, 2011 at 12:42pm   
Bimma Loft
No chimney is needed for denatured ethanol burning products, but if you do something as large as the one shown in the photo you would need to have an operable window in the room as fire uses oxygen to burn. you can buy a unit that has been prebuilt to safety specifications, or you can do a custom installation- but for that we only sell to a licenced contractor for the buildout who signs a specs and clearances form.
There are instruction manuels on how to operate them safely, I will some up the manual for you: Use common sense, treat it with the same caution that you would a regular fireplace. Do not add more fuel if there is any question the burner is still too hot. Do not add fuel to an already burning flame, use the tools not your hands to touch hot surfaces.
We have had one in our house for almost 4 years now and noone has ever come close to being injured by it.

They are very efficient heaters, and they cost rouphly $1 an hour or less to burn.
August 11, 2011 at 1:31pm   
Shady room
I was really hoping to paint my daughter's room a pretty...
Need help with dining room chairs!
Hi! I'm looking for help on picking our my dining room...
Help- studio floorplan help needed
Hi fellow Houzers! I need help choosing a floor plan....
what to do with these weird shaped cabinets
Hi, my family is being transferred for my job and...