Need help choosing a kitchen backsplash tile
zilloakley
My husband and I are having a home built. We will have medium oak cabinets in the kitchen, stainless appliances, and butter rum granite laminate countertops. I am thinking of putting an off-white glass tile backsplash, that has a hint of sparkle on some of the tiles, with a greige subway tile backsplash above the stovetop. Any ideas??
I find that the greige and the wood don't work - one has too much yellow and gold undertones - while the greige clashes. Greige works best with silver or grey woods. For oak cabinets, I prefer the smaller glass tile.
March 27, 2013 at 9:53am     
fabia
Try to stay in line with the tones of the oak and the counter top. Earth tones work well.
March 27, 2013 at 11:20am     
Coastal Home Design Studio
I agree with both, but, if you are going light I would do a tie in using glass i.e. "Flash Beaming Linear Mosaic"
http://www.emser.com/index.php?id1=collectionDetails&index=198&productID=1692&name=FLASH(TM)_Beaming_Linear_Mosaic&id0=glass&scrollMenuglass=0&scrollMenuglass=0
March 27, 2013 at 11:28am     
bowdavis
Pick out the dark from your countertop and paint the backsplash that color for a WOW factor. Then if you like it, you can put up a tile in the dark color.
March 27, 2013 at 11:33am     
zilloakley
After reading these comments, I'm wondering if my stainless appliances will look ok with the oak cabinets and butter rum granite countertops? Would I be better off to get black appliances? Or white?
March 27, 2013 at 11:35am   
bowdavis
In my opinion the collage of tiles and wood look great if you take out the glass tile.
March 27, 2013 at 11:39am     
Please don't worry about stainless steel. It is popular because it works with everything except gold, and personally I think it has a richer feel than black or white appliances (unless you are going ultramodern!)
March 27, 2013 at 11:40am     
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I would like to see some warmth added to your back splash to tie in the counter and cabinets. Out of the two tiles selected, I like the glass better. Stainless appliances would be fine since you're bringing that tone into your back splash, and you can also bring it in with hardware. Black would be ok too, since your countertop color will tie it in, but it will be more of a contrast.
March 27, 2013 at 11:41am     
0825sam
I think you are fine with stainless - I consider them a neutral.
I agree with the above comments, I think you need something warmer for the backsplash. Both of the tiles you chose look too cool in tone.
Here is a kitchen with your counters with a warmer potentially natural stone backsplash. I think the key is to find something that is not busy, but has the same tones as you counter and cabinets.

March 27, 2013 at 11:44am     
teddy3
I think the above kitchen with a warmer natural stone backsplash would go better with your counter.
March 27, 2013 at 12:25pm     
SEMERJIAN BUILDERS
I think Glass tiles for a Kitchen backslpash Oak cabinetry may be too modern/transitional for the setting. In a few years, it may look dated. Check out some of my backsplash ideas at www.semerjianbuilders.com where I have several Kitchen and bathroom ideas which showcase some nice options. Good Luck !
March 27, 2013 at 2:24pm     
quantumnerd
I found a nice subway tile with darker grout that would look nice. Here is a picture.
March 28, 2013 at 3:19am     
quantumnerd
I'll post your counter top by it to. I would go with a subway tile that has that color of the base color of your granite, and then a darker brown grout that is the color of the darker colors in your granite. I thought it looked pretty. :)
March 28, 2013 at 3:20am     
zilloakley
Thank you so much quantumnerd. I really do like that subway tile with the darker grout. Where can it be seen?
March 28, 2013 at 5:07am     
soberg
Try grout selector tool (http://www.tileshop.com/grout/groutselector.aspx) to see effect of different grout colors with various tiles. Amazing how big a difference from one to another.
March 28, 2013 at 5:46am     
My Tile Backsplash
zilloakley,

Take a look at this product: http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/bellaglasscb36.aspx. This is called the cinnamon blend. The style is similar to your mosaic, but has the colors of both your granite tops and cabinet colors as well.
March 29, 2013 at 6:49am     
quantumnerd
Hi sorry I didn't know you had replied. :) I found the backsplash at this link: http://urbanvegan.net/2012/10/vegan-mofo-new-kitchen-tour-part-1-and.html#!/2012/10/vegan-mofo-new-kitchen-tour-part-1-and.html
March 30, 2013 at 12:04am     
mountie
The color choices for the tiles do not fit well with either your cabinets or counters. You need to choose tiles that are more "earthen" in tone (browns, greens, tans, beiges). Stay away from gray, white, silver, yellow. If you want a sleeker look, you can find modern tiles in these color combinations.
March 31, 2013 at 5:31am     
goodbyegirl
I have medium cabinets and a similar tile. I like the look of glass but all glass is too much for me. I also like black appliances. Too much work with fingerprints on stainless steel. Putting together all the elements of a kitchen is daunting! You will find what you love.
March 31, 2013 at 6:08am     
goodbyegirl
I meant a similar granite. Here is another photo.
March 31, 2013 at 6:11am     
gardenarian
I would consider using a stainless panel for your backsplash, esp. if you do a lot of cooking. I do and the tile is hard to keep clean.
March 31, 2013 at 9:43am     
pamelafisk
I don't understand why everyone is so timid with color. Neutral coors translate to a nuetral life. I have each room in our condo painted wonderful vivid colors and we get so many compliments! I would add a wonderful vivid burgundy tile to the backsplash and perhaps another style for over the stove, also in a vivid burgundy color. lt will warm up what feels like such a cold space to me. For whatever it's worth! (We painted our kitchen a vivid blue and are planning an entire redo of the kitchen when my husband retires and can do it all himself, but we will retain the blue.) The photo illustrates how I've brought ocean coral printed design into a bedroom that features many shades of coral.
March 31, 2013 at 10:05am     
calidesign
I agree with most of the others. With the oak cabinets and warm granite, use a light cream (warm) subway tile, and darker tan grout. The glass tiles are not the same style, and clash too much. You want your kitchen to look classic and not be dated in a couple of years.
March 31, 2013 at 11:16am     
leelee
I tried to google "granite laminate countertops" but still wasn't sure exactly what you mean by that term. Can you clarify?
March 31, 2013 at 11:27am   
quantumnerd
@Pamelafisk, color is great but where a backsplash is concerned, when you get tired of the burgandy tiles in a couple of years, ripping that out and putting up a new color is pricey and work. But if you accessorize with bright colors like burgandy then when your tired of it in a few months you can change it out. I love colors too, and neutrals don't have to mean boring or boring life.
March 31, 2013 at 3:21pm   
quantumnerd
@Pamelafisk these rooms are anything but boring! (your room is a nice coral though don't get me wrong) :)
March 31, 2013 at 3:32pm   
Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
...
zilloakley — I don't see any ideabooks on your profile yet...I recommend you collect dozens of photos of cabinet/backsplash/countertop color combos you like. This may help you better discover and define your own tastes in colors and/or style. And if you plan to stay in the house for a long time, put in what YOU like, not what is in style or would give the best resale value. If it's glass tiles, or beach pebbles, or marbles, who cares?!? Don't get too anxious to make a decision...a lot of the fun can be in the hunt. Gather enough samples, and eventually you'll find a combination of materials and colors that will click and you'll know "that's it!"
March 31, 2013 at 3:52pm     
kalforan
Hi, I love the counter top and the back splash but I find the two together are busy, You can get that glass in a mocha or black and that would pop your oak, just an idea, good luck with whatever you choose.
March 31, 2013 at 10:14pm     
bevballew
Re back splashes you have chosen do not go with the top. You need more of a brown tone backsplash with minimal color deviations. Try and pick up one of the colors in the granite and get that color as a backsplash. What you have chosen does not work. Sorry!
March 31, 2013 at 10:45pm     
leelee
Totally agree with bevballew, your granite is warm in tones but the backsplash tiles are a cold gray. They don't play well together. Your cabinets are oak which can have yellow sometimes orangy tones so that may make your granite look pink! I say completely re-think your granite color then keep your gray backsplash.
April 1, 2013 at 6:32am   
Interiors International, Inc.
Those two do not work well together at all. A warmer mix of colors would be better.
April 1, 2013 at 6:39am   
zilloakley
The cabinets and countertops are alreadly finished in the new home. I cannot change them, nor do I want to change them. I appreciate all the positive suggestions. Thanks for your help everyone. I have chosen a backsplash that works beautifully now, so I don't need any further suggestions, but I don't know how to end this thread. Lol!
April 1, 2013 at 10:55am   
bevballew
I know. You get connected to these threads. At least you are telling us you are all set. Do share your finished room. I have three threads that just ended and miss,them! It becomes a bit addictive!
April 1, 2013 at 11:02am   
quantumnerd
Great! Enjoy your new kitchen!
April 2, 2013 at 1:43am   
bella417
I am looking for greige glass subway tile. just like yours. can you please tell me where you purchased it?
August 18, 2013 at 10:18pm   
Need help choosing coloured tile grout for my kitchen backsplash
I have just installed glass tiles for my kitchen backsplash....
help on choosing the kitchen backsplash tile
I need to decide on the kitchen backsplash tile. i...
Help in choosing backsplash tiles for my kitchen
Overwhelmed by all the backsplash tiles, so I would...
Need help on choosing a grout color for my glass tile backsplash
Would like a suggestion on a grout color for this...
Can this long living room become a dining room?
In a few months we'll be renovating our kitchen and...
Installing American lighting in Australia and England
Hi everyone. This isn't really a design dilemma,...
You know you live in California when...
You have an avocado tree in your backyard and four...
Living room
I also need help with ideas for thw living room! From...
Trying to decide best color for future new area rug for Den
My contemporary home has a backyard view of a mid size...