Let's say it's a challenge, not a dilemma!
Faith
My sweetheart's apartment is a shambles. And I have his permission to do as I please with it!
I will start with the kitchen. I plan to leave the wall behind the cabinets as is, clean the wallpaper and glue it back where it's peeling off. I was thinking of painting the cabinets white with bright orange doors. Remaining walls white or orange? Or both? Lower cabinets will be installed where the counter now is with deep drawers for dishes, etc.
I'd like a small round white table in the breakfast nook and would also paint the chairs orange. The TV has in the meantime been replaced by a 40" flat screen, which I may raise higher on the wall.
The biggest challenge is the living room. I am allowed to remove some of the pictures, but the wall will have to continue to be a gallery of my honey's career (musician). The room is very dark, always. I will need some good lighting ideas. The picture doesn't show much, I will take more in a few weeks. But I love the molding and will attempt to employ them in the design and am thinking "greige" but keeping his red theme (new couch, of course).
I will turn the hallway into a place for family photos, etc. Haven't wrapped my head around this space yet.
It's going to be quite a project that may take time. But I'm thinking I can turn it into what he was aiming at before his hoarding instinct got out of hand. ;-) And far more! There's plenty of space and the apartment has much of its original 1920s character (even glass doorknobs).
(I do love a mid-20th century style, though for furnishings.)
So, go at it and I'll one day post before & after shots of each room!
erinsean
Your ideas seem good until you said white cupboards with orange doors....IMHO that will make the kitchen look "messier". All white would be good and if you want to keep the orange wallpaper, that would be fine. But with the red couch maybe you would want to rethink the orange wall paper. Isn't there a place in the living room end of the room to put the TV....just looks out of place there and 40" in quite a big TV. If he wil let you, par down some of this "stuff" maybe put shelves where the table is and eat on TV trays.....they can be put away when not in use. You have quite a job cut out for you...Good luck and maybe he will be a big help with your project.
March 27, 2013 at 12:20pm   
Faith
Guess I was misleading. The kitchen and living room are not attached, but down the hall from one another. I will be paring down a lot of stuff (we're getting a storage space)!! I really want to eat at a table, though. :) If it weren't a rental I'd tear down the wall behind the TV in the kitchen because there was once a dumbwaiter there which is no longer in use, so that would add a depth of about 2-3 feet. But, it cannot be. I also really want to keep at least one wall with the old paper since he loves it, but want to eliminate his green...so just white?
March 27, 2013 at 12:38pm   
Stoneshop
I agree with erinsean and think that white cabinets would look best in your space. It will be cleaner will allow the fun wallpaper to really shine. At most, I would do orange cabinets with white doors--but I prefer all white.
March 27, 2013 at 12:46pm   
I know that wallpaper! It was a vinyl coated product from 1967. If he loves it he is an old soul. :>). Does he like the music from the sixties? Musicians hear and see things the rest of us don't. Have fun.

March 27, 2013 at 12:49pm   
orangecamera
Of course I'm going to say "yes" to orange. Just be careful what orange you use. I'm not sure what you mean by "bright orange", but traffic cone orange will look out of place. Before you glue all the wallpaper back onto the wall, take a piece off and take it to a good paint store. See if you can match the orange that's on the wallpaper. Buy a sample of it, and paint some poster board. Put the painted poster board up on the cabinet doors and live with it for a week or so. If it's "too orange", try the same color but mixed at 3/4 or 1/2 strength.

I think it would look nice to do the bottom cabinets in orange, and the upper ones white. I would paint the frames and doors the same color.

I think the lime green frames and lampshade will still look good in the kitchen. The dumbwaiter could be painted the same lime green, or white, or orange.
March 27, 2013 at 12:58pm   
Faith
He is not really an old soul, he's a young soul in a 75 year old body! :) He's lived in this apt. for almost 40 years, which is why I have to be very sensitive and gentle about changes. He got this wallpaper and the paper in the bathroom (black and shiny chrome colored!) as remnants way back when. His kids call the apartment "the museum" and then turn up their noses. Oh, and he's a be-bopper!
March 27, 2013 at 12:59pm     
Faith
This is great input and very helpful and I am soooo thankful, folks! It will take a while before I can implement the ideas (not starting until summer), but I've got it all brewing in my mind.
March 27, 2013 at 1:02pm   
I would bet good money that in 2 years this will be the look everyone wants. It is not quite industrial chic, but certainly 70's finery with an aged patina!
March 27, 2013 at 1:02pm     
Faith
Ha! So, perhaps I shouldn't touch it! Except maybe clean it up a little (please!).
March 27, 2013 at 1:04pm   
leelee
Get rid of the wallpaper! That's my first thought then my second thought is "are you sure you want to tackle this?" I say invite him over to your place when you want to see him and let him have his museum. This could be a recipe for disaster in your relationship. I know you'd like to help but I'd rethink the whole idea.
March 27, 2013 at 1:24pm   
Faith
BTW, the opposite wall AND the ceiling are painted glossy green (like by the window). Nothing against green, but it's one of the sunniest rooms in an otherwise dark apartment. So I thought I'd go for one of the sunnier colors in the wallpaper.
March 27, 2013 at 1:24pm   
Faith
I know leelee, really. I may in the end leave the living room to him! He actually wants me to make changes. I'll take it reeeeeeaaaaallllll slow so he doesn't even notice what's happening.
March 27, 2013 at 1:26pm   
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
Can it be done
I bought some outdoor lights and got them home and...
Help for barstool choice
Building a rustic looking bar area with stone and wood....
Help me design my 100 year old Farm house parlour (living room)
I have a room I would like to start painting then decide...
HELP! gallery wall or large art piece?!
Hi there! moved in a while ago and am trying to recreate...