Ugliest house in the world. Officially!
evbrewer
So my husband just bought the ugliest house I have ever seen. Horrific curb appeal. Three styles are used here : midcentury modern, swiss chalet, and concrete jungle. Do any of you fantastic designers have any help or advice to offer me? I'm thinking about painting the redwood siding like a blue gray ... HELP!!
claudiann
New door and paint and it will look great. There are so many great examples of paint treatments in the photo section on this site. Good luck.
March 27, 2013 at 12:12PM     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
No I've seen way worse! This just has a disconnect with the top and bottom half of the house. You should do a phone consultation with Scicora out of MN. He is on Houzz. You should look at their b & a's. They are amazing and inspiring !

You just need a better paint color, that blends with all that concrete... there is a disconnect with the top and bottom so it seems top heavy. You also need a nicer front door with a non cheap looking storm door. Better windows. Do dark brown window surrounds. Never light on this house.
March 27, 2013 at 12:12PM     
bluenan
Take the faux dutch colonial storm door off immediately!
March 27, 2013 at 12:13PM     
evbrewer
The storm doors and storm windows really are horrible. Suggestions for paint on the garage door? Or a new one?
March 27, 2013 at 12:25PM   
Use the same paint to the ground. Paint the trim on the two lower windows the same color as the house. Trim out the upstairs windows in white. Get a great garage door that reflects the contemporary feel of your home and definitely change the front door.
Ira Lippke
Garage Doors
Contemporary Hinkley Dwell 15 1/2" High Indoor/Outdoor Wall Light
March 27, 2013 at 12:27PM     
evbrewer
Great photos! Thank you! So just paint the siding and concrete the same color? Love the garage door!
March 27, 2013 at 12:30PM     
maureenroth
judyg, I was just thinking the same thing. Don't fight the architecture, go with it. Paint the whole thing grey. Maybe dark charcoal window trim? And can you move the center downspout so it doesn't bisect the house? I would put a much more modern door, perhaps one with horizontal window panes. Also, change the garage door to something more contemporary. Maybe dark grey metal and glass.
March 27, 2013 at 12:30PM   
melianne
How about building a arbor roof on the right side of the house? You could also countinue the stone on the ciment wall. Changing the door to something more moderne in black and painting the siding in a charcoal grey would look nice.Garage door painted black. maybe some big pots with some cedar plants on each side of the garage door. The planters could be a red or other favorite contasting color to add a little contrast . Hope this helps.
March 27, 2013 at 12:33PM     
BRATETIC CONSTRUCTION, INC.
You can't go wrong adding a porch with a gable roof and some column detail. It would help draw you into the front door as well as add a dimensional element to the home.
March 27, 2013 at 12:33PM   
evbrewer
I agree it needs some sort of dimension to the front. Very flat. Love the charcoal and black front door idea!
March 27, 2013 at 12:35PM   
maureenroth, a much better suggestion…to paint all the trim dark. ev, if you concentrate on that garage door, front door and a new light, your home is going to be fab! And, yes, bring the paint color all the way down to the ground. I like the simple, easy landscaping in the pix I posted.
March 27, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Is there room to plant behind the stone wall? That will give you some dimension.
March 27, 2013 at 12:37PM     
evbrewer
Think I should get rid of that Swiss chalet planter that wraps around the house? Skim coat concrete it perhaps?
March 27, 2013 at 12:38PM     
Here is a great front door for you should you want the garage door to be the focal point. Solid, and the long contemporary handle relates to the garage door panels.

And again, simple landscaping.
March 27, 2013 at 12:39PM     
Sun Architecture
Some great suggestions! This elevation is very flat. Replacing the front door will help. Maybe consider having a small porch for the front door? A better transition between the materials.
March 27, 2013 at 12:40PM   
maureenroth
I would also plant some tall very vertical grasses or bamboo-type plant behind the stone wall. Yes, and skim coat the stone wall to make it more contemporary. I actually think this could be a great looking house.
March 27, 2013 at 12:40PM     
Don't forget to paint your deck railings.
March 27, 2013 at 12:42PM   
maureenroth
Have been trying to upload photos from one of my ideabooks, unsuccessfully. If you go to my ideabooks under "for Cate", I have some examples of plantings and doors you could look at.
March 27, 2013 at 12:51PM   
maureenroth
Show us after pictures - I'd love to see how this turns out.
March 27, 2013 at 12:53PM     
evbrewer
Oh I love that front door and the tall grass idea will be stellar. Glad you think a skim coat would work - I really don't want to demo that wall myself. You all are amazing. I will be sure to post the after pictures.
March 27, 2013 at 12:57PM     
Susan Jacobs
Vertical plants that rise above that stone wall will add so much! What ever you paint, use a color that does not blend to closely with the wall. You need some dimension between the concrete and stone. I personally do not want to see it so monochromatic...
March 27, 2013 at 1:03PM     
March 27, 2013 at 2:33PM     
evbrewer
Absolutely going with the tall grass idea. Some big oversized metal house numbers. And sadly I can't open that last link ...
March 28, 2013 at 5:28AM     
rinqreation
The house itself 'just' needs some paint and a modern front door. The planter however needs a complete new finish. Or split it in two with a bench inbetween (like the picture, but built in solid).

Concrete and Ipe Bench
Edgewood
Elsie Street
OH Custom 4
March 28, 2013 at 5:50AM     
soberg
Your house has great bones, do not be dismayed. It just needs some relatively inexpensive work and it can be quite attractive. You have numerous benefits to play up: Strong horizontal lines, overall clean and coherent architecture, good textures, stone.
March 28, 2013 at 6:03AM     
handymam
I don't think your house is ugly, it's just dressed funny!

Changes as suggested in paint will unify the parts. New doors, new light fixture and relocation or removal of downspout. I would however keep the stone, it is a classic and very much in vogue right now. You can soften the edge by planting something that spills over as well as some plants with height. I don't think that grasses really go with the style of the house though. I would go with things that stay green all year as well as some color in the front, but not too many colors. Remember there are different shades of green, and plants chosen will have to reflect your zone and which direction your house faces. Good luck! Don't forget to show us your after pic!
March 28, 2013 at 6:13AM     
rinqreation
Just having fun, not saying you should like this, but it's different. Handymam's got humor, it is dressed funny!
March 28, 2013 at 6:25AM     
Susan Jacobs
Just dressed funny. I like that :)
March 28, 2013 at 10:49AM     
evbrewer
Handmam I love your suggestions and the mock up of the house is so neat!!! Talented people on this site!
April 3, 2013 at 3:16PM     
evbrewer
After a few months and a few color swaps, my house is no longer the ugliest on the block! Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!
October 22, 2013 at 2:53PM     
evbrewer
Another angle!
October 22, 2013 at 2:54PM     
deborahjarman
Wow! What a difference. Kudos!
October 22, 2013 at 3:15PM     
Laurie
Looks much better. When you are ready for a new front door consider one of these. You can get them at Lowe's. http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/plf/index.aspx
October 22, 2013 at 3:17PM     
handymam
What an incredible difference! Love what you have done! I wouldn't even change the door, I think it looks fine as is! Great colors!
October 23, 2013 at 4:42AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Cute.
October 23, 2013 at 4:56AM     
foreverfarm11
nice job!
October 23, 2013 at 5:10AM     
New Dimension Construction Inc.
Wow, what an amazing transformation! Great job bringing out the best in your home.
October 23, 2013 at 5:11AM     
evbrewer
Best $375 I've ever spent!
October 23, 2013 at 5:15AM     
evbrewer
Best $375 I've ever spent!
October 23, 2013 at 5:15AM     
Susan Jacobs
Beautifully done! The "ugliest house in the world" has become a swan!!
October 23, 2013 at 9:05AM     
handymam
Really? All that for $375? I like it even more now!
October 23, 2013 at 9:35AM     
reba120
Wow is right. It looks cool now, in a good way!
November 5, 2013 at 2:58PM     
chookchook2
You can justify an awful lot now because hubby bought that. Bring it up whenever you're in trouble for doing something.
November 5, 2013 at 3:09PM     
chookchook2
Great facade,that is now. Someone told me today that blue-grey is the new black.
November 5, 2013 at 3:11PM     
happyasaclam
I applaud your courage in purchasing a home "needing that much work"! The paint made the drainpipe almost disappear, the windows, front door and garage door look brand new. The new light over the door fits the overall design to a tee! And you have a pretty dog!
November 5, 2013 at 3:12PM     
chookchook2
Perhaps charcoal is the new black, but I would not want to re-ash that argument.
November 5, 2013 at 3:14PM     
happyasaclam
LOL!!!!!, chookchook!
November 5, 2013 at 3:52PM     
evbrewer
Haha he bought the house and I did all the work ... I certainly bring that up! Thank you all. I am plenty pleased and the pup loves is too!
November 5, 2013 at 4:26PM     
pcmom1
Just stumbled on this. My first thought was that you had a diamond in the rough!

I would switch out your plantings in the planter for something more modern. Check our Mexican Feather Grass.

November 5, 2013 at 4:39PM     
happyasaclam
Love the Mexican Feather Grass! Just saved it to my ideabook. Thanks, pcmom1!
November 5, 2013 at 5:00PM     
marieskier
I like what you did! It is gorgeous! And I am so glad you left the stone as is. The stone is real rock. Good stuff going on there! Enjoy your house.
November 5, 2013 at 5:34PM     
incubus_of_habit
Wow! That's a rather amazing transformation given the budget. Well done!
November 5, 2013 at 5:43PM     
saratogaswizzlestick
Stunning! I am so glad you did not paint the stone. What a transformation you have made with some elbow grease and a great eye for color. Your new neighbors must be thrilled.
November 5, 2013 at 5:43PM     
m3459
Cannot believe that is the same house......stunningly inspirational for all loyal Houzzers. Will you share your paint colors?
November 5, 2013 at 7:01PM     
evbrewer
Absolutely. The front door is Benjamin Moore "tequila lime" and the house is Behr "sled." The garage doors are Behr "jet black." Thank you all!
November 6, 2013 at 4:31AM     
hazeldazel
Three words: Fab.U.Lous! great transformation for only $375!
November 7, 2013 at 11:33AM     
RosemaryR
Looks absolutely fabulous, great transformation, you must be so proud. And, your dog is saying, "this is MY house"!
November 7, 2013 at 11:46AM     
craljh
ooooolala
November 7, 2013 at 11:46AM     
evbrewer
Forgot to mention ... I also painted the underside of the eaves a high gloss silver. It really reflects the light and has a very neat effect when inside the house and looking out. Thank you all!
November 7, 2013 at 12:52PM     
starbella
Great job!
February 15, 2014 at 1:09PM   
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
excellent job unifying the exterior...
February 15, 2014 at 1:15PM   
thiamom
I'm really impressed! Good job
February 15, 2014 at 1:28PM   
Ugliest kitchen in the world is gone!!
Recently moved to a new house..site unseen except pictures,...
Ugliest kitchen in the world is gone!!
Recently moved to a new house with a horrible kitchen....
World's ugliest light fixture needs replacing!
We need to replace this fixture with one that is as...
World's Ugliest Bedroom!
We have been living for TWO YEARS in this horrible...
HELP! we have the worlds ugliest, most dated kitchen and a tiny budget
we bought a home we adore, but it needs some updating-...
Updating color scheme
We're changing our color scheme. Out with the red/golden...
Small master bathroom 8x6
Need some clean ideas on a 8x6 master bathroom in a...
Advice on hiring an architect/designer by the hour
I am having trouble hiring an architect/designer. ...
Mixture of different styles
I´m planning to get rid of some furniture and buy...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...