We're building a new house...

sheldongraberMarch 27, 2013
and the choice of woodwork s the BIG question! My husband really LIKES natural wood, he would CONSIDER painted (white or cream) trim, but he's pretty reluctant to do that. I am not seeing many houses with anything BUT PAINTED trim. Are we going to regret using natural wood trim???? YIKES! :( Can you help us decide? ~ellen
14thstreet
My husband and I had the same conversation. Are you planning to do hardwood floors? Do you want something to match or break up the floors from the walls? How about mixing the two? I see that a lot now, it can be beautiful. Painted base and casing, then solid wood doors. The doors really stand out when doing this, so make sure to budget for beautiful doors.

B A T H · More Info
]
Mukilteo Style · More Info
]
Stafford, OR Custom Home · More Info
]
Mukilteo Style · More Info
]
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:55PM
High Camp Home
The great thing about natural trim is that it will never go out of style. Of course, it always depends on the space, but if you choose a more natural setting, you can always decided on furniture pieces that have a pop of color that you are looking for!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:56PM
architectrunnerguy
Are there costs constraints? Stained interior trim is a lot more expensive (the reason you see painted everywhere). From a material standpoint, can't use finger jointed material and from a labor standpoint, wood filler and caulk can cover up a LOT of sins when the trim is painted. With natural wood, a small amount of filler can be used but NO caulk. Basically it's furniture building only on a wall.

So, the question is probably a matter of $$$$$.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:02PM
Judy M
When you paint trim, you can use almost any species of wood you want, if you leave them natural, I think the quality of the wood is important. High quality wood will cost more so the cost could be higher to leave it natural.

As the previous poster mentioned leaving the wood doors natural and pointed out that the quality of the door will be important.

I would consider this in your decision. If budget allows and you like the wood, go for it.

My preference is painted trim, unless the room is a library or office, I like the stained wood in those cases.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:03PM
Toni Reno Colby
I am not a designer/decorator, but I had stained wood trim throughout my previous home. It looked nice, but I felt like I had to decorate around it and it was troublesome to me. When I decided to put hardwood flooring in the kitchen, I felt like it limited my options. The house we are building now will have painted trim with crown moldings, which I prefer.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:14PM
Fenstermann LLC
What are doing for windows and exterior doors? I have some very nice solid Walnut windows/doors that your husband would love!
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:18PM
sheldongraber
I've appreciated the input from each of you. I think both my husband and I like a more traditional style, and I realize you can have either painted or natural wood trim to accomplish that look. By traditional I don't want "tired" and/or "out-dated" though, so it will be a challenge I'm sure. Hopefully we can keep it a FUN challenge! Thanks again for your input. If you have more advice, I'd love to hear from you.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:35AM
tcufrog
The nice thing about natural doors and trim is that you can always restain them or repaint them for a change. You can't do that with painted trim and doors since these days since builders usually use cheaper trim and doors that can't be stripped and stained at a later date. If you can afford it I'd go with natural for that reason.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:46AM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
If your going to go with stained trim, I have 2 suggestions. 1) pick out your cabinets and floors now- make sure your trim stain accents those choices. Nothing worse than after the expense of real trim -having it clashing with EVERYTHING else.(see tonette's comment) 2) The profile is really important. A good profile that accents the real wood but is not too busy, ( or pricey) is to have your trim carpenter take 1x4 stock, 1/8 radius the inside edge, then run a1/4" beading on the outside . Clean , and matches almost all style decor. GoodLuck!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:08AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Having all natural trim is can be done real traditional or very modern it depends on material used and layout I always love natural wood.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:45AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Stakkestad 2 interior · More Info
]

finch · More Info
]

these are examples of all natural and painted with stained
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:51AM
Ironwood Builders
Stain grade carpentry, as suggested by architecturerunnerguy and others is more expensive. So too is stain grade material (note: we call it stain grade whether you stain it or not). Paint grade allows the use of mixed materials...MDF for wall panels, pine and poplar mixed moulding profiles, finger jointed materials, etc. Expect to pay 50% more for material and labor to do stain grade over paint grade work....more if the material selected as stain grade carries a premium...say Claro walnut instead of African mahogany or American Cherry instead of red oak.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:20AM
Need design help for new house.
We're building a new house and am looking for advice...
tianajoy7
Front doors with sidelites - are they safe?
We're building a new house and the plans call for a...
kvogel1122
White or almond windows?
We're building a new house. I have to choose either...
jkn1416
Color of my kitchen cabinets
We're building a new house and I'm torn about the kitchen...
kathleen74
Is a darker island with white cabinets on the way out?
We're building a new house. I've chosen white shaker...
koodomob
First Home, style ideas
We just bought our first home (well, closing this week)...
kimbermenssen
Help find coffee table
I can't seem to figure out what coffee table would...
blackiu
Which paint roller do you prefer?
Had mixed feeling about rollers I used in the last...
dschambach
tile floor
i love this floor. i want it in my mudroom. i need...
janellecordray
Is a kitchen marble sink a good idea? Please help!
Im thinking of doing an integrated marble sink in my...
emmalee21