Kitchen remodel with small budget
gtpeebs1
I am looking for suggestions on how to remodel our kitchen. A little background of our home. Built in 2000, we purchased our home way below our means in order to give us flexibility to pay off student loans in a short time frame so we have all of our finances in order for kids in 5 years as well as take advantage of a tax credit. We plan on moving to another state in 5 years and due to the rate/payment on our house we are planning on using it as a rental. I have a friend who can build custom cabinets for a reasonable cost ($5k). Here are my scenario's but I am bad at designing so please feel to give input.

Scenario I - Keep oak cabinets, replace counter tops with either a granite tile or laminate, paint the walls a neutral color, and install a dark wood looking tile floor, and replace all of the appliances with stainless steel. Have a master electrician friend wire in recessed lighting and get rid of the box light

Scenario 2 - Have my friend build new doors that cover the top/bottom/between gaps and paint the cabinets white with a black granite tile and dark handles. Could also try to paint the existing doors but the panel is oak plywood where my friend would build it as a raised panel. Dark wood looking floors and neutral paint. Install Stainless Steel Appliances. Have a master electrician friend wire in recessed lighting and get rid of the box light.

Any recommendations on tile color, paint color, laminate colors, etc. I am far from a designer!

TIA
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Are tile countertops popular in your area?
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:06PM
gtpeebs1
You see them more and more in newly built houses most likely due to cost, I believe! I am not sure if it would look right in this kitchen but with new cabinets it has looked great! I am a person who needs to see it once it's finished so it's hard for me to make design choices.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:09PM
gtpeebs1
I am in Denver BTW
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 3:09PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
If you are going to use granite tiles with 1/16" grout lines, get a professional to do it or there will most likely be lippage (some tiles higher than the others) and that doesn't look good with shiny granite. A beveled wood trim on the edge looks good too.
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 3:14PM
Jayme H.
Wondering what the market is like in your area-for resale..and what the value of your home is. I have owned rental property. I would only invest in new cabinets if you felt u needed to in order to sell the home. If u are going to live in your home 5 more years and are unhappy with the kitchen, I would look into having the cabinets professionally painted, replacing countertops with a mid grade product/same with flooring/appliances. The home does not appear high end from the pic...putting a higher end kitchen in a rental is not a good plan in my experience. You could do improvements to enjoy it more for the time u are in it..but investing too much is prob. not a great idea unless u feel it is recoupable...Best wishes :)
3 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:17PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Since it's going to be a rental, I would keep the cabinets as is. Painting them never lasts, & may get a little more beat up with tenants. I would add silver toned hardware to the cabinets. Wood look tile on the floor. Neutral laminate countertops. (I'm not even sure they need replaced cause they look in good condition...but if they need it, then do away with the 4" counter backsplash) And a backsplash. It REALLY needs a backsplash. Nothing fancy, just a plain ceramic subway tile in white, up to the top of the upper cabinets with some nice molding at the top on either side of the window. The light box has to go. A pendant would be nice over the sink & under cabinet lighting is a must. Choose the paint color from your countertop color. That's where I'd put my money.

And...I would take the 2 plaques down from over the window & install a simple bamboo blind that sits as high as you can get it. (Unless the plant would be in the way)
3 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:24PM
gtpeebs1
Homes in the area are going from $150-175PSF. My house is 1499SF above grade and 600 below grade. Kitchen was definitely installed as the base kitchen available. Houses range in the $225k-260k price range. We paid $222k. I am staying away from investing in new cabinets but am thinking of refinishing them in white, possibly new doors built by a friend from
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:27PM
gtpeebs1
Oasis Design-That is what I am looking for! I agree completely, it is dying for a backsplash and to get the red off of those walls! haha You wouldn't consider a oil rubbed bronze tone for the cabinets? What type of moulding do you think for the window? I am trying to envision but I don't think I have seen it. I have been shopping craigslist for appliances because I don't feel it's worth spending money on brand new.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:37PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
And don't get carried away with recessed lighting...the sink pendant, under cabinet lighting & an overhead flush mount fixture will be sufficient in that size kitchen. The wood tone tile is expensive...you may want to go with builder quality that will look just fine. And I agree to not go crazy with the appliances...mid range is fine (like Kenmore)
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:41PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I would stick with silver tone...congruent with the stainless appliances & less expensive. The moulding I'm talking about is just to cap off the subway tile where it meets the top cab over to the window...it just finishes the subway tile so you won't have a raw edge there. Looks very finished & nice. Are you hiring someone for the job or is this a DIY???
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:45PM
Allison Thompson
I think you would be amazed at what a difference new lighting, backsplash and paint would make on that kitchen. I bet that light is 50% of the problem.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:49PM
gtpeebs1
The sink has a recessed light there currently, just an FYI
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:52PM
Main Line Kitchen Design
Building custom cabinets is a bad idea. The finish on the cabinetry will not be as durable as on inexpensive well made premade cabinetry. Painted finishes painted on site will be the least durable of all. Durability is what you want for a future rental. Have your friend install premade framed cabinetry in all plywood construction. You have less than 5K in cabinetry in an inexpensive well made line like Jim Bishop Oracle, or Clique Studios sold on line. And you will have state of the art drawers, doors and buffered tracks for the same price. Or keep the cabinets as is and add crown molding, new granite countertops, and backsplash tile. These will be better investments I think.
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 3:59PM
gtpeebs1
The friend who builds custom cabinets as a side job also does other construction trades on the side. He finishes basements, kitchens, etc. He's very handy to have around. I also have another friend who is a master electrician that will be doing the lighting. So in other words, it will be mostly a DIY with minor professionals. I am average for my construction/craftsman skill.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 3:59PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
There a recessed light converters available at Home Depot & they work well, if the placement & height is right.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 4:01PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Crown moulding is a good idea if it fits the budget. Sounds like you're all set as far as help.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 4:04PM
Ryan Hart - NeighborhoodEnvy.com
As others have mentioned, there's no reason to go overboard or spend a fortune. You could make a few simple changes with a tile backsplash and a neutral paint color on the walls. Here's a photo that might give you some inspiration:
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 4:12PM
Jayme H.
Again, I wouldn't invest in custom cabinetry... I believe a pro paint job would last and hold up well, but also painted cabinetry shows more flaws than does natural or stained wood, likely would require more maintenance......so it's your call... I wouldn't bother in new doors and all that if I were going to rent it out or sell, personally..You are absolutely correct in your idea to repaint.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 6:52PM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
thats a great kitchen not a bargain install
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 9:31PM
Keep the cabinets. Your minor professional friend can trim out what you have to the ceiling and look good, but unless you can improve the quantity & significantly improve the layout/functionality, best to keep what you have. Paint, pay for a new solid surface quartz countertop, tile the backsplash. Work over the space with lighting - undercounter, over the sink and some can lights around the space - use wood look vinyl plank flooring at the high end of quality - you can't tell the difference unless you touch it, and it wears like iron for renters in future. Don't change out the appliances unless you really want them / need to change them/ they fit into budget after all that.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 9:59PM
need ideas for redoing a small 10x10 kitchen on a small budget.
I have purchased a dishwasher, stove ,in stainless...
Kitchen remodel on a limited budget
Hi. I am looking to update my kitchen, but do not...
Need Help with Recommended Breakdown for kitchen remodel budget
Long story short, we had a dishwasher leak that damaged...
Kitchen Remodeling for $5000 budget- need help
Our house was built in 1954, kitchen is big with dark...
Kitchen Remodeling Budgets
What are the most important items on your kitchen remodeling...
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
Ugly fireplace
Help! Limited budget for this ugly fireplace! Paint?...
Color and accent help with new sunroom!
This is our new/old home. A renovated 1762 farmhouse,...
Help with small kitchen
Any suggestions? Need cooktop, oven, refrigerator,...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...