Powder Room update

sylviajoanMarch 27, 2013
I need some suggestions to update my bathroom, paint lighting, mirror. My hallway is a high ceiling with wainscoting offwhite and a taupe/grey colour, ranchwood from BMoore. Any suggestions welcome.
0825sam
I actually like your mirror but I can't tell what the finish is. Personally I like chrome or polished Nickel in bathrooms. Here is a light that I have over an oval mirror that would be a sleek update (it comes in chrome or
Brushed nickel). What about painting the walls a shade darker or lighter on the paint chip from your hallway. Replace the faucet and add longer contemporary pulls to your cabinet.
George Kovacs | Kai Z Floor Lamp · More Info
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:33PM
Jennifer Taylor Design
I like the idea of keeping a color in there, but I would definitely remove the wallpaper border. If you want something more interesting than paint, then wallpaper is a favorite of mine to use in a powder bath. Keep the pattern simple and tonal, though. Not a floral or stripe. I attached a pattern from Thibaut that is great and comes in lots of colorways.

You definitely need a more interesting mirror. I would not do an oval as it competes with the shape of the sink. Maybe an arch top or a rectangle shape with a pretty frame. It looks like you have a chrome faucet? If so, keep the light in the silver family and install it with the shades facing down, instead of how it is currently installed.

I would also replace the towel ring with something in the silver family and if you can move it to the other side of the mirror/sink, then do so.

The new art could be larger than what you currently have and think of something more horizontal vs vertical, so it's a little wider and may cover that electrical outlet. :)

I love designing powder baths and I encourage clients to really think out of the box. Do something more bold! You won't be sorry. Good luck!

Jennifer Taylor
Tallahassee, Florida
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:40PM
Riddle Construction and Design
Depends a lot on what you want to spend. I would remove the wall paper border and change out the light fixture. Update with new fresher color. Get rid of the polished brass towel bars.If you have a bit more money you could do a new pedestal sink and faucet.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:41PM
Sarah Bernardy Design
Your current powder room color is not a bad color, but you should definately remove the wallpaper border. I don't mind the oval mirror if you are looking for a clean and modern approach. If you want something more stylized then the possibilities are endless. It's helpful to know you and how much you want to dress the space before offering up suggestions. Some simple changes to improve any bath, change out the faucet, towel bar so that these pieces reflect the finish of your new light fixture. Not sure what your ceiling looks like, but adding crown moulding to a room like this makes a big impact. You can even consider painting the ceiling in a metallic finish, see Ralph Lauren's specialty paint finishes; some of his silver tones would work great with your white trim. Change out your painting to two framed images rather than one as this is too boxey next to the oval mirror. Have fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:54PM
DIAspoton
what a fun room to work with. if it were mine, i would get rid of the cabinet over the toilet. replace the pedastal sink with a pretty 'furniture vanity' . could be repurpose vintage piece or new. this will give you storage and a place to hide the wastebasket. keep the mirror. find a very dramatic, gorgeous high impact wallpaper in your favorite colors, possibly with some silver to play off the gray in the hall. lose the towel ring in favor of a bar . hang some luxe towels. hang one large piece of art.

or something like that! it's a fun shaped powder room. be bold and WOW your guests.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:27PM
leelee
Ditto to the remarks above about changing the faucet. You could do an interesting shaped mirror but I would choose one that's a little smaller to be more in keeping with the pedistal sink. I'm going to give you a site to look at that has amazing wall stencils. You should remove the wallpaper border and consider these stencils for a touch of drama. Bathroom lighting is one of the hardest things to me. Most is overdone and too pretentious. If you did use a smaller mirror you might have room to do two wall sconces one of each side of the new mirror (if you have space & want to do dry wall patching & rewiring). You could look for a smaller more fun/interesting picture. I do like your color and if you do go for a stencil you could use the same color in a satin finish if your walls are flat for a subtle look. Here's the site
http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/collections/allover-floral-stencils
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:38PM
Powder room update
Could hardly wait to get rid of the pink tile and fixtures...
Weaver Home Photography
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Debbie
Before / After Ikea kitchen
A special thanks to the homeowners for these before...
Crescent Builders, Inc.
Powder room woes
This is a small powder room that needs a new toilet...
rochellefry
Powder room update
Is there anyway to raise the height of a built in bathroom...
beckyao
Front yard overhaul
Have removed unwanted plants @ trees from front yard...
Wendy Bartley
Painting old dresser
I want to paint/repurpose this old dresser. It has...
meganbuch
Log Cabin Reclaimed
Finally get to build my own cabin,Core 10 roof,400...
Derrick Budd
Gutter color rule of thumb???
Hello there. We have a mid century stone ranch with...
pattees
Family Room Light Dilemma??
I want to get rid of this old fan and replace it with...
lindymeranto