Ideas for backsplash wanted!
ceylonaMarch 27, 2013
This is a computer generated picture of the kitchen in our new home build. The colors are as accurate as I could get them: Walls are Benjamin Moore's Texas Leather, white trim, Dover cabinets from Kemper with amaretto glaze (basically off white). Still have to choose a granite, but leaning toward Giallo Ornamental. Last decision to make is what to do behind the range in the arched nook. I've been eyeballing lots of lovely glass tiles, but realized there's so much involved, like size, shape, what color, or mosaic? I'm lost and overwhelmed! Would love to hear: If this was your space, what would you do with it?
K B
Can never go wrong with a subway tile. Love the look of a herringbone pattern also. Just pick out a color that flatters your other finishes. I know others love it, but I'm not a fan of mosaic tile in the kitchen or accent stripes. I like classic looks that you will not grow tired of IMHO.
2009 Showcase Home on Park Alley
Kitchen 1
KitchenLab
Kitchen 2
Cat Mountain Residence
Kitchen - Residence Camrose I
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:24PM
mishbooth
Subway tile is a good way to go. They can be glass or traditional. Hint of color would be nice. Not a fan of white on white on white kitchens. the granite you are leaning toward has some grey and brown in it. Pull from those colors. The granite has movement so stick to a monotone backspash. Don't want busy granite and busy backsplash. For the nook behind the stove - I like KB's idea and would do a herringbone pattern if using subway tile.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:39PM
ceylona
I do like subway tiles in a lot of kitchens. Especially glass with a hint of color. But if I pull some neutrals from the granite it's still going to feel, well overly neutral in there. To me that space begs for a punch of some sort to make it stand out. I can add a hint of the blue I tend to accessorize with, but what if I want to have an orange phase someday? I'm afraid I have color commitment issues coupled with boring neutral issues. I'm thinking my answer lies in shimmer, or contrast. And somehow it cannot compete with the granite.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:22PM
Dezign Studio Inc
you could go with a slab of same back splash as the counter top, then change accessories with the colors you like. see if you like any of these,
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:22PM
mishbooth
I have the same color committment issues. So I keep the items that are not easily changed neutral and have color with my accessories. Right now I am in a lime green mood. But by fall I will want orange. I change out decorative bowls, pillows, vases etc. when my mood changes.
But if you really want to add a colorful backsplash, the stove nook is a great place to do it. And if you usually go to blue as an accent color go for it. Just pick out a blue (maybe a grey blue) that can work with other colors like orange or yellow or green. So you can still play around with other colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:31PM
collettec
I do think the niche is a great place for something different in terms of color and pattern as a focal point. Two possible considerations - great tile patterns or artwork or a mural:

1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:51PM
collettec
Or a mural - something like this:

1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:53PM
ceylona
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm in love with the floral looking blue tiles, and the multitude of shades would expand the decorating color palette. Keep the suggestions coming!
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:09PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like the subway-its classic and elegant and white kitchens make women happy!
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:15PM
ceylona
OK, what are your thoughts on metallic or iridescent subway shaped tiles in neutral colors or with a hint of blue? Hard to find the full size tiles in iridescents, but here are some ideas I liked...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:51PM
Irish Kate
I wouldn't make a feature of this area as it would be hard to change if you grew tired of it . A cream/white subway tile would be lovely and a lovely red/lime green kettle on the range could be the accent colour.
    Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:57PM
Any ideas for a new backsplash around an existing tile panel?
I have an old craftsman home and the previous owner...
amdg1966
Kitchen almost Done...backsplash Ideas?
We recently renovated our galley kitchen. We have a...
jesslynne
Backsplash/Decorating with no upper cabinets - Ideas?
We are looking for backsplash and decorating ideas...
llkhome
Want ideas on what backsplash would look good?
We would like to put a backsplash in our kitchen. ...
kelvin145
Kitchen Backsplash project need ideas
Want to do subway tiles in the kitchen but having a...
lisahoneybee
Wallpaper Remove or Paint
Please share with me why you would not paint wallpaper...
Purposeful Interiors, LLC
My new studio apt
I am downsizing into studio in a retirement home.i...
Marge Raines Johnson
Pouring Concrete over Somewhat Smooth Stone Basement Floor
We purchased a 100 year old home in Maine with concrete...
dsleep2
Kitchen
Painting cabinets
slowe
best floor for shower floor? Hate cleaning grout so no tile.
currently have a fiberglass pan 47 X 46. ugly! We...
tonimccrary