bringing more light & look to my basement apartment
dwimms
hi I have been trying to bring more light & a better look to my basement apartment & no luck ..
any ideas
hard to see with these photos. Where is the natural source of light? Ironically your pink bathroom has the best light.
Going to basics for adding light: add more artificial lights - if you can add recessed lighting all the better (and those panels look as if they would be easy to run lighting through if there is enough gap). If not, bring in more table lights or uplighters.
The next thing is bring in more mirrors - as many as you can (either as a gallery of unusually framed mirrors) or as a large mirror
Next take your colour palette from deep purple to lighter tones: a white with a hint of lavender; a pale grey; a blush pink (which is subtle as it gives a psychological warmth to a room).
Your corridor needs either a wallpaper or mirrors to widen it visually and bring in more light.
With better pictures we can talk about furnishings etc...
March 28, 2013 at 12:49AM     
dwimms
so it won't be to much going down the entire wall with frame all different of course . i attached 2 pics of mirror frames & don't know where to place them
March 28, 2013 at 1:10AM   
Hi dwimms
Just for fun now, hang these two mirrors horizontally on your hallway (with the purple wall). Look at the effect. Does it widen the hallway? Do the colours work together. Maybe we can lighten the tone of the purple on the wall.
Here is an example of widening and bringing light into a dark corridor

March 28, 2013 at 1:15AM     
dwimms
I'm sorry I took the pics without the lights on I will take better pics with the lights on. I have decent size windows in the bedroom as well as the living room however that doesn't bring in enough light. I keep buying decorating merchandise but I seem to go off
March 28, 2013 at 1:17AM   
Here to help ;-)
March 28, 2013 at 1:20AM     
dwimms
I have a hard time getting up in the morning bc there not enough color & brightness to my place:(
l
March 28, 2013 at 1:23AM   
dwimms
I will lighten the purple paint in the hall anysuggestions on what paints r best? my living room
I paint a light spring green but its not bringing in itchy
March 28, 2013 at 1:28AM   
colour is one thing, and brightness is another. Start by painting all your walls a light colour - what do you like? pale blue, pale green, pale pink. lavender, cream, beige. This will automatically bring light into your room. Use bright colours as accents. Too much of lots of colour can actually take away light. (You need colours with more white in them for your walls)
March 28, 2013 at 1:59AM     
Want to expand basement window wells to bring more light to office
My office is below ground. There are two large windows...
How to bring natural light in a basement?
Looking into building a new house for our expanding...
Remodeling the back of the house to bring more light
We are thinking of converting the basement into a kitchen...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...
Neep help to redesign a small living room opens to a golf course
Me and my boy friend just brought a small condo right...
Master Bedroom redesign
I'm looking for suggestions on how to design this master...
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...