Flooring Dilemma....need advise
azfarq
March 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So we just shelled out $$$ for a 45 yr old hm and love the layout but the very first thing that needs to be changed is the hodgepodge of tiles and vintage hardwood flooring on the 1st floor. Doesn't make sense to rip out all the existing hardwood but finding a match would be difficult. Staining is an option. Checkout the pixs. Appreciate in advance everyone's thoughts.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
soberg
It's definitely good to simplify and streamline flooring. One of those tiles probably should go. However, I disagree that you can't match the flooring. A good floor person can easily match your 45 year old floor, so if you like the existing HW, don't rip it, match it.
March 28, 2013 at 8:52AM     
brody1313
go all hardwood floors....you will love it.
March 28, 2013 at 9:08AM   
felixgrantham
Don't rip out the HW! Refinish! I've seen some really cool black-finished HWs which would be hip & easy to match up with the old floor
March 28, 2013 at 9:11AM   
felixgrantham
PS - I like the entry tile & from a practical perspective, think I'd keep it & replace all the other tile.
March 28, 2013 at 9:11AM   
mastercrafter59
Absolutely go with the old hardwood. It's beautiful! The tiles are nice looking but you're right it's too much! My friend just did this in his home which is much older than yours. I was extremely skeptical but once he got them stripped and stained ....wow! They look amazing! He did leave the kitchen floor tiled but the rest of the house is this beautiful dark, warm, wood flooring.
March 28, 2013 at 9:15AM   
sandkshouse
I prefer the continuity of just having one or two floorings in a house. Check out Lumber Liquidators for good prices on hardwood floors.
March 28, 2013 at 9:17AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Buy unfinished flooring in the same width and tree species as the existing hardwood. Then have a professional refinisher come in to sand down your old hardwood, install the new, and stain and finish everything at the same time to have them match. It's a big job but will look amazing and certainly add value to your house. If you are located in the Hamilton/Toronto area, I can refer you to an excellent person who specializes in jobs like this.
March 28, 2013 at 9:19AM