Flooring Dilemma....need advise
azfarq
So we just shelled out $$$ for a 45 yr old hm and love the layout but the very first thing that needs to be changed is the hodgepodge of tiles and vintage hardwood flooring on the 1st floor. Doesn't make sense to rip out all the existing hardwood but finding a match would be difficult. Staining is an option. Checkout the pixs. Appreciate in advance everyone's thoughts.
soberg
It's definitely good to simplify and streamline flooring. One of those tiles probably should go. However, I disagree that you can't match the flooring. A good floor person can easily match your 45 year old floor, so if you like the existing HW, don't rip it, match it.
March 28, 2013 at 8:52AM     
brody1313
go all hardwood floors....you will love it.
March 28, 2013 at 9:08AM   
felixgrantham
Don't rip out the HW! Refinish! I've seen some really cool black-finished HWs which would be hip & easy to match up with the old floor
March 28, 2013 at 9:11AM   
felixgrantham
PS - I like the entry tile & from a practical perspective, think I'd keep it & replace all the other tile.
March 28, 2013 at 9:11AM   
mastercrafter59
Absolutely go with the old hardwood. It's beautiful! The tiles are nice looking but you're right it's too much! My friend just did this in his home which is much older than yours. I was extremely skeptical but once he got them stripped and stained ....wow! They look amazing! He did leave the kitchen floor tiled but the rest of the house is this beautiful dark, warm, wood flooring.
March 28, 2013 at 9:15AM   
sandkshouse
I prefer the continuity of just having one or two floorings in a house. Check out Lumber Liquidators for good prices on hardwood floors.
March 28, 2013 at 9:17AM   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Buy unfinished flooring in the same width and tree species as the existing hardwood. Then have a professional refinisher come in to sand down your old hardwood, install the new, and stain and finish everything at the same time to have them match. It's a big job but will look amazing and certainly add value to your house. If you are located in the Hamilton/Toronto area, I can refer you to an excellent person who specializes in jobs like this.
March 28, 2013 at 9:19AM   
Water in my office, first floor, Need advise please!
I have trouble fixing a leak thru my office wall. ...
Need advise on backsplash and flooring with yellow river granite
I'll have medium cherry floor to ceiling cabinets with...
Need advise about a limestone floor
We have a large amount of limestone floor that is now...
Need advise for shower flooring
I am remodeling bathroom in my apartment, plan to make...
What kind of couch would look good in this room?
I have tried to put 2 different couches in this room...
Which Cabinets do you prefer?
If you could have any cabinets in your home what would...
Decorating with southwest design
What are the most popular interior colors to use to...
Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might...