Kitchen backsplash and lighting.
bonita572
March 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Bought existing home. Backslash has water damage. I think tile or glass same color would be good because directly across from sink is stove set in blue tile, but not sure. Do not want anymore blue. Was thinking about replacing lighting over sink and breakfast table. Would appreciate suggestions
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
OnePlan
for a quick and simple backsplash behind sink and hob have you considered stainless steel ?!
it would only need up be up to the window cill and length of sink in that area - and full width of hob alcove but only about 6 or 7 bricks high ?!
March 29, 2013 at 1:49am   
PRO
Eagledzines
If you have tired of the blue, I'd suggest not coordinating to it. Replace the blue tiles under the stove top and repaint the backsplash or coordinate the backsplash to the new counter for the stove.

Coordinate the light over the sink to the light in dining room if they are open to one another.
March 29, 2013 at 5:02am   
bonita572
The backspash is water damaged. I like the idea of changing light fixture. Originally I thought of a recessed lighting, but I thought it would be a challenge to install because of its location near the sloping edge of the house. Then I was't sure if I should get a fixture that hangs just below the curtain. I think it is really dated. Really like the suggestion of replacing it.
March 29, 2013 at 6:57am   
bonita572
This is for OnePlan suggestion. Honestly, I had not considered a stainless steel backsplash. I like that it may be a simple solution. The damage on backspash is about one and a half feet wider than sink. How do you think that wouldt look?
March 29, 2013 at 7:18am   
Olivia
I have the exact same kitchen--cabinets and all! When we remodeled on a tight budget, we purchased 18" Italian porcelain floor tile and had it installed on the diagonal. For the backsplash, we had leftover floor tiles cut to 1/4 scale also installed on the diagonal. To finish the exposed edges, we used a stainless steel tile transition piece on the right. The backsplash is in perfect harmony with the flooring and also the stainless appliances.

Please post your "after" pictures so I can get ideas for window treatments!
March 29, 2013 at 8:18am     
PRO
OnePlan
hi Bonita - I think the smallest you could get away with is the same length as the sink really ... or it just won't look right ?!?!
March 29, 2013 at 8:28am   
PRO
OnePlan
going wider might start to look industrial ! it's a tough one !!
March 29, 2013 at 8:29am   
bonita572
Thanks for the facts!!
March 29, 2013 at 8:33am   
bonita572
OmGosh! That looks like my kitchen, cabinets and all. Like what you have done.
March 29, 2013 at 8:39am