Lighting Advice?
Kimberly Torrey
I'm trying to get a head start on lighting. I have picked out a few lights already. Any ideas would be helpful. I love pottery barn but I need to save money which means pottery barn is out of the budget unless it goes on sale. I love antiques too.
Kimberly Torrey
Drywall goes in next week! so I'm trying to get some things done ahead of time. Our bathrooms are going to have brushed nickel fixtures and they are picked out. The rest of the house still needs light fixtures. Our kitchen cabinets are going to go to the ceilings. I was thinking pendants and a chandelier. There is going to be a 6 foot island. A small farm house table. The ceilings are 9 feet. There is an open staircase that I need a light for. Also the living room and bedrooms need fans because in the summer there won't be enough airflow. The formal dining room needs a chandelier. There are recessed lights along the windows and fire places and in the kitchens. I need lights for a hallway and two for a muck room. I need some flushmount lights for a few rooms too.
March 28, 2013 at 8:38pm   
mmers
Have you thought of looking on craigslist or kijiji? You can sometimes find great deals.
March 28, 2013 at 8:40pm   
Kimberly Torrey
I got three lights from ebay, and they have been more trouble than helpful. We are leaning toward something that we know is safe and that is reliable. Thank you though. Its a good idea. I look on there a bit.
March 28, 2013 at 8:47pm   
Megan Vetter
in the same boat as you...sooo many lights to buy, and so many choices out there! I did find a few restoration type sites that have a good selection of antique styled lights both are based in Oregon and offer some budget friendly choices, schoolhouseelectric.com and houseofantiquehardware.com . I've considered getting the fixtures thru an electrician and then get the unique shades online or at the antique stores. Good luck with the remodel, glad to see you saved that fireplace mantel!
March 28, 2013 at 9:18pm   
mmers
I bought a light for the guest room off kijiji - I feel more comfortable buying locally, I think, because I can actually see what I'm buying instead of buying off eBay for my house. But of course, a person has to be careful in any of those situations.
March 28, 2013 at 9:19pm   
Need advice about covering the light bulbs in a foyer light fixture
Seen from above, the light bulbs in the foyer chandelier...
Needs lots of advice - lights, window covers
Hi, we have a new house that we really like. We moved...
Looking for a great light and a rug? Advice?
Recommendations for light fixture and rug- the walls...
Need advice on light fixture in kitchen
I've posted before about how we're trying to improve...
Describe your kitchen in one word.
If you only had one word to do it, how would you describe...
Carpeting
How do you find good quality carpeting? What to look...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
Solar screens vs Tinted windows
We just got new house and wondering should we get the...