Slate???
suzieq282
My husband and I are renovating a home. Has anyone used slate in a kitchen? We know that after installation it is then sealed. If you have used slate please comment on the "look" and durability. Thanks so much!!! :)
champps
I have the same question for durability. Thanks
March 28, 2013 at 9:13pm   
HI -- Slate is nice looking but the draw backs are ... unlevel texture and your traffic pattern will need more sealing more often . It is durable ,.. it is stone after all ,... so the maintaining the surface is the biggest problem . Also , you drop any glass ware , it's gone !
March 28, 2013 at 9:21pm   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
@lefty47, not all slate is the un-level texture you are referring to. It can be manufactured in a smooth surface. And as far as dropping any glassware, as I've commented many times before if you drop glass on most surfaces, it will break, it's not the surfaces fault rather the fragility of the glass.
March 28, 2013 at 10:02pm   
Lewis Renovation & Repair LLC
If you purchase quality materials and use a quality installer, slate can be as level as any other tile, just more expensive. I like the look of natural products and unsealed Brazilian or Vermont slates develop a nice patina. Chinese and Indian slates may need to be sealed as they are softer.
March 28, 2013 at 10:17pm   
Ironwood Builders
The kitchen attached is a gauged, honed Vermont slate. Gauged means sawn flat and even, polished smooth. It feels buttery soft to the touch and is somewhat soft for a typical counter. With a sealer it will most likely resist staining, unless totally abused..like pouring oil on the top and allowing it to sit for days. It does scratch, but scratches can be removed with a 3M Scotch-brite pad.
March 28, 2013 at 10:18pm   
Shuttersmart
Having slate floor in the kitchen is good to go as it is very durable and it doesn’t require any muddy scrubbing, just give a vacuum when needed and mop every now and then but mostly stuff just sweeps up easily. You can use a laminate, Touraine Slate, It's a wonderfully textured charcoal colour.
March 28, 2013 at 10:42pm   
bodhidesigns
Slate counters or slate floors? We have slate floors, and they are very rough and uneven, both in texture and color. They do not mop as easily as the linoleum in the basement! but also they are extremely durable and don't show any dirt. I vacuum them weekly, mop them sometimes, and scrub them with a brush and stone soap (Mirasoap) annually. The stone soap says it's a built-in sealer when used regularly. They're still in perfect condition 10 years after installation.
March 28, 2013 at 10:56pm     
suzieq282
So many helpful comments! Thanks Houzz friends! :) It is a relatively small kitchen with very light cabinets. We are hoping to find a mid-range color....not too dark/not too light. I'll let you know how it turns out!
March 29, 2013 at 2:56am   
Eagledzines
Here is another thread in regard to slate that you may find interesting: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/403689/Using-slate-for-cottage-kitchen-countertops
March 29, 2013 at 4:54am   
David J. Design Inc.
I had slate in my kitchen and family room of my last house and loved it!! Make sure you buy a 'honed slate" and not one that is rough or you will have a night mare with cleaning. The honed is nice and smooth so very easy to clean. You do however have to seal it every year. It is actually very easy. You just get a cloth and put some sealer on it and wipe over the tiles. One coat does it per year and this stops the slate from staining.
Enjoy, you will love it!
March 29, 2013 at 5:02am   
Decorating my family room
Ok Houzz family, this is my first post. I have been...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Really want White Springs granite to work....
But here is the cabinet color (from model home) and...
Would you go for a striped wall?
Feature walls are big news, but what if you want to...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...