Help with kitchen update
tmaggiore
How would you update this kitchen? we like the layout, can't afford new cabinets
0825sam
I would change the knobs to either black or stainless/brushed nickel. Mix in some pulls or cups.
If new counters are in the budget I like black or charcoal quartz with light maple.
Change out window treatment to roman shade or woven blind.
No wall paper.

March 29, 2013 at 7:30am     
0825sam
New backsplash
March 29, 2013 at 7:30am   
tlsq
I would lightly sand the cabinets and use a polyurethane/stain combo (I think minwax makes it) - several coats applied with a high quality brush - to achieve the tone you want. The darker cabinets are in fashion and it will still retain the wood look. I've used this on light wood doors and baseboard and it looked like it was originally stained that color. I also used it on a piece of plywood that I fashioned into a countertop and it has held up for 7 years. (not a counter used for food prep and it doesn't get wet but it gets a lot of use and looks great to this day)

Then I would update the tile backsplash and do some sort of design behind the stove to set that area apart. If you are handy, replace the counter tops with the curved edge granite look alike tops. Real granite would be awesome if it's in your budget. i'd take down the wallpaper and curtain topper and paint. Maybe tile the windowsill to match the backsplash.
March 29, 2013 at 7:47am     
Ann
It's not a bad kitchen as is. You could change the look dramatically by changing the rug to something bright and bold and adding pops of a strong color like lime green or bright red or a combo of a couple of contrasting colors (like orange or yellow and turquoise). The room is so calm and neutral, you could really have fun with it. The valance would need to go too. I've attached a picture from my ideabook just for possible color inspiration.
]
March 29, 2013 at 7:59am     
Granite Grannies
Those are lovely cabinets. You might add some contrast by changing out the counter to a dark stone (or a stone with dark elements) like a granite or a soapstone (for a more subdued feel). I would remove the wallpaper above the cabinets and change out the wall tile. I think a tile with texture would be a welcome addition to this space, like this wall tile: Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 1 Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 2

You might add a dash of color and excitement by changing out that rug for an oriental rug with bold colors:Castleberry Hill Loft

I agree with A Direct Distributor: updating the hardware to something more contemporary will make a huge difference to those cabinets.

I always feel biased saying this, since we are a countertop company, but no matter what you do, if you don't replace that white formica, your kitchen will still look dated and inexpensive. Change those out to a natural material (soapstone, granite, marble, etc), and you will have a much more high end look.
March 29, 2013 at 10:56am     
agreed with new door handles and countertop / backsplash.
March 29, 2013 at 11:09am     
Jayme H.
Remove wallpaper, new door handles..new countertop. A new backsplash if u choose. Cabinets look decent/in good condition. New window treatments.
March 29, 2013 at 11:20am     
Olivia
I agree with tlsq. The rich tones will transform your kitchen. If your wooden cabinets are structurally sound and if you stain them yourself, you can save $$$'s. Do that first, and live with it a few days before you make paint backsplash or tile selections. I went from light oak to Sherwin Williams Coffee Bean gloss paint instead of the stain. With proper cleaning with TSP first, your new finish will hold up for years.
March 29, 2013 at 11:28am   
quixie
I've never followed two threads, but my advice is on the other one.
March 29, 2013 at 4:42pm   
kara9
Small budget: bronze knobs or pulls, add black kitchen aid mixer and black/stainless coffee maker, iron cookbook stand w open large cookbook to beautiful page (like Martha Stewart or ina garten). New window treatment.
Medium budget: new bronze pulls, granite counter-top in either peacock green or dark brown/chestnut. Your preference but must have depth, movement and rich color. New granite sink in white with bronze faucet.
Moderate budget: refinish cabinets to preference color or espresso w Minsk green granite, bronze faucet, white granite composite sink or white cabinets with Minsk green granite or peacock green accent w stainless or bronze pulls Faucet (personally I'm a little tired of stainless faucet) .
High budget. Tear it out and dream big!

Personally I like the cabinet color and it looks like the kitchen is in good condition and is a blank slate to mirror your taste in a small budget.
March 29, 2013 at 5:18pm   
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Help! 1962 Kitchen needs an update...not an overhaul.
Considering a minor update for '62 kitchen. We bought...
Need help updating kitchen
Should I redo kitchen to get rid of peninsula? Kitchen...
Need help deciding how to "update" this kitchen. Please!
I just bought this condo and want to do a bit of remodeling....
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
Desperate need for a makeover
I need ideas on how to enclose this porch. The roof...
Want to combine living room with home office
It's a one bedroom apartment with a total of 650 sq....
New house. Can't decide on wall color
We are moving into a new house that I want to repaint....
What colour to paint the outside of our new house
We have purchased the house pictured, the render needs...