Help with kitchen update
tmaggiore
How would you update this kitchen? we like the layout, can't afford new cabinets
0825sam
I would change the knobs to either black or stainless/brushed nickel. Mix in some pulls or cups.
If new counters are in the budget I like black or charcoal quartz with light maple.
Change out window treatment to roman shade or woven blind.
No wall paper.

1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 7:30AM
0825sam
New backsplash
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 7:30AM
tlsq
I would lightly sand the cabinets and use a polyurethane/stain combo (I think minwax makes it) - several coats applied with a high quality brush - to achieve the tone you want. The darker cabinets are in fashion and it will still retain the wood look. I've used this on light wood doors and baseboard and it looked like it was originally stained that color. I also used it on a piece of plywood that I fashioned into a countertop and it has held up for 7 years. (not a counter used for food prep and it doesn't get wet but it gets a lot of use and looks great to this day)

Then I would update the tile backsplash and do some sort of design behind the stove to set that area apart. If you are handy, replace the counter tops with the curved edge granite look alike tops. Real granite would be awesome if it's in your budget. i'd take down the wallpaper and curtain topper and paint. Maybe tile the windowsill to match the backsplash.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 7:47AM
Ann
It's not a bad kitchen as is. You could change the look dramatically by changing the rug to something bright and bold and adding pops of a strong color like lime green or bright red or a combo of a couple of contrasting colors (like orange or yellow and turquoise). The room is so calm and neutral, you could really have fun with it. The valance would need to go too. I've attached a picture from my ideabook just for possible color inspiration.
]
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 7:59AM
Granite Grannies
Those are lovely cabinets. You might add some contrast by changing out the counter to a dark stone (or a stone with dark elements) like a granite or a soapstone (for a more subdued feel). I would remove the wallpaper above the cabinets and change out the wall tile. I think a tile with texture would be a welcome addition to this space, like this wall tile: Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 1 Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 2

You might add a dash of color and excitement by changing out that rug for an oriental rug with bold colors:Castleberry Hill Loft

I agree with A Direct Distributor: updating the hardware to something more contemporary will make a huge difference to those cabinets.

I always feel biased saying this, since we are a countertop company, but no matter what you do, if you don't replace that white formica, your kitchen will still look dated and inexpensive. Change those out to a natural material (soapstone, granite, marble, etc), and you will have a much more high end look.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 10:56AM
agreed with new door handles and countertop / backsplash.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 11:09AM
Jayme H.
Remove wallpaper, new door handles..new countertop. A new backsplash if u choose. Cabinets look decent/in good condition. New window treatments.
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 11:20AM
Olivia
I agree with tlsq. The rich tones will transform your kitchen. If your wooden cabinets are structurally sound and if you stain them yourself, you can save $$$'s. Do that first, and live with it a few days before you make paint backsplash or tile selections. I went from light oak to Sherwin Williams Coffee Bean gloss paint instead of the stain. With proper cleaning with TSP first, your new finish will hold up for years.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 11:28AM
quixie
I've never followed two threads, but my advice is on the other one.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 4:42PM
kara9
Small budget: bronze knobs or pulls, add black kitchen aid mixer and black/stainless coffee maker, iron cookbook stand w open large cookbook to beautiful page (like Martha Stewart or ina garten). New window treatment.
Medium budget: new bronze pulls, granite counter-top in either peacock green or dark brown/chestnut. Your preference but must have depth, movement and rich color. New granite sink in white with bronze faucet.
Moderate budget: refinish cabinets to preference color or espresso w Minsk green granite, bronze faucet, white granite composite sink or white cabinets with Minsk green granite or peacock green accent w stainless or bronze pulls Faucet (personally I'm a little tired of stainless faucet) .
High budget. Tear it out and dream big!

Personally I like the cabinet color and it looks like the kitchen is in good condition and is a blank slate to mirror your taste in a small budget.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 5:18PM
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Help me Update my Kitchen!
Just moved in and this is how it was decorated by the...
Need help updating small condo kitchen
Can anyone suggest who can help me with picking out...
Need help with galley kitchen update!
Hey everyone! We bought a house about a year and...
What kind of art could we put on our painted dining room wall?
We don't want to change the wall as my husband took...
Ventless fireplace?
We just bought a house in Southlake TX that has this...
Foyer orb light height - 4.75" chain ok?
Here is my foyer in progress. I am leaning towards...
Spotty ceiling?
Our new to us home has a walk in master closet that...
Small LR
Need to brighten up LR See Pics