Knocking down wall in kitchen
natalierus15
I want to knock down the wall between my kitchen and dining room. I'm going to keep the flooring for now (carpet in dining room and laminate wood in kitchen) and connect them with a thick piece of stained wood. I may not be able to completely open it due to a vent in my kitchen wall. It is about 1 1/2 feet from the left of the wall. If it able to be moved I will move it and take the wall completely out. If not, the wall will have to stick out about a foot and a half from the wall. Any suggestions and will this look ok? I plan to make the rooms "flow" by carrying in the brown paint and painting the wainscoting the cream color of the kitchen cabinets. I also plan to add an island between the kitchen and dining room for extra kitchen seating when we have guests over . Thanks!!
Riddle Construction and Design
Before you knock down any wall you need to make sure it is not structural especially if it is an older home, say pre 1980's. Looking at the cabinets on the right side it appears it is so this needs to be checked out first. Does not mean the wall cannot be removed, but it would mean a structural beam may have to go in to carry the load. I strongly suggest you get a licensed contractor to make this evaluation. That same contractor can also evaluate whether the duct work to the second floor can be relocated so the wall can be completely torn out. If that is not an option, you can do a decorative post to hide the duct work, but it needs to make sense in the design layout. In the picture below that post has duct work to the second floor as well as a bearing post inside. To make the room flow, it really needs to have the same flooring all the way through. Different flooring screams that you just removed a wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:48AM
Riddle Construction and Design
Here is the photo
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:49AM
Love your mission furniture! We took out a structural wall between our kitchen and an addition we were building on the back of our house. The wall had to be reinforced with a steel beam, and our GC brought in a structural engineer for consultation. But it has made a HUGE difference in the open flow and light in our house. We did, however, connect the floors with the same wood for continuity.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:52AM
Jayme H.
We also took down 2 load bearing walls..involved tying new support into the foundation and installing 2 laminated beams. But we also loved it and it really made the difference in the home....we sold it shortly after and made a nice profit.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:55AM
natalierus15
Thank you so much for the comments! :) I absolutely agree about the flooring. We do plan on installing hardwood in the kitchen and dining room but we have to do this project in increments (money). A contractor is doing our work so he will reinforce the walls if needed. I am just "iffy" about the wall sticking out if the vent can't be moved. What kind of decorative post are u talking about? Id like to hear more about that!
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:00AM
natalierus15
I really like the photo I'm just not sure what to be looking for so if you could explain that would be great!
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:02AM
natalierus15
I looked up decorative beams and I really like that idea! Could I do it down the left side (that's where the vent is) and connecting one beam across the ceiling? I would really appreciate thoughts!!! As for my pics...I like this. I wouldn't be able to do all of those beams (again only down left and ceiling) but I that's what I'd like.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:25PM
natalierus15
Finished product!!!! Thanks for all the help! I decided to take the flooring into both rooms as suggested!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 1:47PM
sondramartina
Great! Was removed wall structural, did you have to put beams?
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 1:52PM
Jeannie Nguyen
Awesome After photo!
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:53PM
natalierus15
We don't need a beam I just like the look of the fake ones. That is why we might still get one. I think they look rustic. Thanks for the positive feedback!!
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:12PM
Help!! Knock down wall or leave it?!!!
I don't know if I should knock down the wall the separates...
kaylawahl74
Should we knock all the walls down???
I am purchasing a narrow but long victorian house....
claperry
Unsure about knocking down a wall.
We have a formal dining room adjacent to 10 x 10 kitchen....
Diana Cassidy
Cookie Cutter Florida Condo, knocking down the infamous wall.
I just bough a 900 sq. ft. condo in South Florida....
patcar
Stumped with Odd Windows
Helping my sis-in-law with her odd windows in her new...
happynons
Need help with flooring
Currently my entry has travertine that meets up with...
beeb1052
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Thermador Versus Kitchen Aid appliances
Any opinions out there about Thermador appliances versus...
Georgie Walker
does anyone think this backsplash will work?
thinking of installing Avenue Mosaic Weave Jacquard...
kathleen