Knocking down wall in kitchen
natalierus15
I want to knock down the wall between my kitchen and dining room. I'm going to keep the flooring for now (carpet in dining room and laminate wood in kitchen) and connect them with a thick piece of stained wood. I may not be able to completely open it due to a vent in my kitchen wall. It is about 1 1/2 feet from the left of the wall. If it able to be moved I will move it and take the wall completely out. If not, the wall will have to stick out about a foot and a half from the wall. Any suggestions and will this look ok? I plan to make the rooms "flow" by carrying in the brown paint and painting the wainscoting the cream color of the kitchen cabinets. I also plan to add an island between the kitchen and dining room for extra kitchen seating when we have guests over . Thanks!!
Riddle Construction and Design
Before you knock down any wall you need to make sure it is not structural especially if it is an older home, say pre 1980's. Looking at the cabinets on the right side it appears it is so this needs to be checked out first. Does not mean the wall cannot be removed, but it would mean a structural beam may have to go in to carry the load. I strongly suggest you get a licensed contractor to make this evaluation. That same contractor can also evaluate whether the duct work to the second floor can be relocated so the wall can be completely torn out. If that is not an option, you can do a decorative post to hide the duct work, but it needs to make sense in the design layout. In the picture below that post has duct work to the second floor as well as a bearing post inside. To make the room flow, it really needs to have the same flooring all the way through. Different flooring screams that you just removed a wall.
March 29, 2013 at 8:48am     
Riddle Construction and Design
Here is the photo
March 29, 2013 at 8:49am     
Love your mission furniture! We took out a structural wall between our kitchen and an addition we were building on the back of our house. The wall had to be reinforced with a steel beam, and our GC brought in a structural engineer for consultation. But it has made a HUGE difference in the open flow and light in our house. We did, however, connect the floors with the same wood for continuity.
March 29, 2013 at 8:52am     
Jayme H.
We also took down 2 load bearing walls..involved tying new support into the foundation and installing 2 laminated beams. But we also loved it and it really made the difference in the home....we sold it shortly after and made a nice profit.
March 29, 2013 at 8:55am     
natalierus15
Thank you so much for the comments! :) I absolutely agree about the flooring. We do plan on installing hardwood in the kitchen and dining room but we have to do this project in increments (money). A contractor is doing our work so he will reinforce the walls if needed. I am just "iffy" about the wall sticking out if the vent can't be moved. What kind of decorative post are u talking about? Id like to hear more about that!
March 29, 2013 at 9:00am   
natalierus15
I really like the photo I'm just not sure what to be looking for so if you could explain that would be great!
March 29, 2013 at 9:02am   
natalierus15
I looked up decorative beams and I really like that idea! Could I do it down the left side (that's where the vent is) and connecting one beam across the ceiling? I would really appreciate thoughts!!! As for my pics...I like this. I wouldn't be able to do all of those beams (again only down left and ceiling) but I that's what I'd like.
March 29, 2013 at 3:25pm   
natalierus15
Finished product!!!! Thanks for all the help! I decided to take the flooring into both rooms as suggested!
June 5, 2013 at 1:47pm     
sondramartina
Great! Was removed wall structural, did you have to put beams?
June 5, 2013 at 1:52pm   
Jeannie Nguyen
Awesome After photo!
June 5, 2013 at 4:53pm   
natalierus15
We don't need a beam I just like the look of the fake ones. That is why we might still get one. I think they look rustic. Thanks for the positive feedback!!
June 5, 2013 at 5:12pm   
Knock wall down to expand kitchen or not?
We live in a 1950s house built on piers, about 1,300...
knocking down a wall in the kitchen?
Hi, my husband and I keep going back and forth on whether...
To knock down wall or not? Kitchen/Dining Dillemma!
Our '79 4-level split is in dire need of TLC. Especially...
Need help with kitchen design, knock down wall or NOT
Do you think it's O.K. to lose storage space but gain...
How to salvage something from this bedroom on a budget?
OK - so first off I know how awful this bedroom looks,...
Need Help! Cabinet help!
Hello. We are currently customizing a house we bought....
Boxing in waste pipe
Here is my new en suite, all ready for sanitary ware...
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
Backsplash tile w granite
Having to pick granite and backsplash from afar. Granite...