Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmidnight

Need help with selecting counter top for kitchen

msmidnight
11 years ago
We are building a new home, so no photo available. My husband wants to install a floating cork floor in the kitchen. It has an orange cast to it with some brown spotting. Our cabinets are painted cream white and we plan to have some of the walls painted a soft green. It is a bungalow style kitchen with some antique kitchen furniture pieces, hoosier cabinet, icebox and oak table. All stainless steel appliances. The rest of our flooring in the house is a dark stained red oak.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are fine with granite, quartz or style stone.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Congrats on the new home! Quartz is a bit more "neutral" than granite as it is more monochromatic with much less movement. Caesarstone has some nice grey colors that might go well with your cream cabinets, also some brown colors as well.

There are also Quartz counters that are doing a decent job of mimicking marble, if you need a more traditional look. Below is a shot from a house we designed last year with a simulated marble island.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    If you wanted something very unique, the Black Mosaic Gold Granite goes very well with soft green and off white. It has orange/ brown elements as well:
    Black Mosaic Gold Granite / Marinace Granite · More Info

For a softer look you could go with a Leathered (textured and matte finish) Antique Brown Granite (which is actually black):
    Leathered Antique Brown Granite · More Info

or a soft, lilting white stone like River Valley Granite:
    River Valley Granite · More Info

Depending on the exact green you use, a Costa Esmerelda Granite might be a elegant and understated look that would go well with your antiques:
    Costa Esmerelda Granite · More Info

Lastly, have you considered soapstone? It's a great way to have a contemporary blended with historic look. It looks great in homes with lots of character.
    Kitchenette · More Info
    What Dishwasher? · More Info
  • Jessica P
    11 years ago
    I vote quartz! I didn't even know there were any other options than granite until we bought our house :) It's a 150 year old farmhouse, gut rehab, and when the seller designed the kitchen he wanted the style to be consistent with the age/look of the house. So it sounds like kind of what you're going for? He used white cabinets and white quartz countertops. I absolutely love the look of the kitchen. The only drawback is that it's difficult to keep light colored quartz clean. If you want something that hides spots and splashes better, maybe granite is the option for you...otherwise, I'd pick quartz. I'm attaching a pic of my kitchen so you can see what the counter looks like...as you can see the color is very uniform.
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree with the comments above. I would say that the type of material you do is really a personal preference, and depends on what your goals are. Manufactured materials (quartz) are less maintenance and fuss, but cannot quite give you the look of the real thing. People typically prefer granite one way or the other i.e. movement or granular.

I agree with Granite Grannies that Costa Esmeralda would be a very nice look especially in a satin (leather) or honed finish. For your application I would definitely look into these finishes regardless of the material you select. If the material does not come that way from the factory, you can always have your fabricator create it for you.

Soap stone would be really nice too, as long as you aren't going to be fussy about it scratching and showing a lot. It is easy to buff, but really that's just part of the look.

Another option could be something like the picture below with a slight greenish hue, but a lot of neutrals to work with.
  • Jessica P
    11 years ago
    Actually maybe you can't see how uniform the color is from the photo I posted...for some reason it looked better on my computer...sorry about that!