Please help me make a decision
bubkus
I am renovating my 13 x 24 den in contemporary styling and have a fireplace that is off center in the room. I am placing a 70" tv above the fireplace and am planning on placing the tv center to the room which would cause the fireplace to be left flanking underneath the tv. I have chosen a light travertine stone to place from floor to ceiling (with no mantle),on 8 feet of the wall width. I was also thinking of placing a textural wallpaper on the extra 2 1/2 feet on each side of the stone. I need a small design element to build into the wall to the right of the fireplace to box out the area and create symmetry. I cant dig deeper into the wall due to structural issues. Should I go forward with this plan? Please help!
Jayme H.
Are u in fear that it won't look right with the slightly off center fireplace? I don't think it's so far off center that u cannot easily work with it/and sound like u already are...Do u want a built in/or do u want other ideas?...
March 29, 2013 at 11:07AM     
bubkus
Thank you Jayme...I don't want a built in due to my budget but my fp is a good 13" off. I need other ideas please.
March 29, 2013 at 12:24PM   
Jayme H.
@bubkus...What do u think of something like the pic? It could be on a smaller scale, but give similar effect..
March 29, 2013 at 12:25PM   
Jayme H.
Or have u thought about floating shelving?
March 29, 2013 at 12:26PM     
bubkus
Would you put the floating shelving on the stone or on the sides without the stone?
March 29, 2013 at 12:33PM   
Jayme H.
PICS
March 29, 2013 at 12:34PM   
K B
Is there not enough room to put the tv next to the fireplace like in pic 1 below? Is the fireplace wood burning? If so, how about a space for firewood as your design element? You could make the space whatever size necessary to create balance to the wall.
Palmer Pointe Road Residence Living Room
River House
Modern Family Room
March 29, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Jayme H.
Any thoughts of jogging the stone like in the first pic I posted?
March 29, 2013 at 12:37PM   
Ed
bubkus, do you actually use the fireplace? Is it the main (or only) source of heat for the den, or, do you have other heating source? If you don't use the fireplace often (or, very rarely), how about putting the TV directly in the center of the room, _slightly_below_ eye-level when you're seated ? (That's my ideal TV height.)
March 29, 2013 at 12:40PM   
bubkus
kb. it is wood burning and the wood space would be the perfect design element but my contractor cant go into the wall due to structural issues
March 29, 2013 at 12:40PM   
bubkus
Ed. we use the fp and plan on putting the tv in the center but need to know what to put to the right of the fireplace to balance out the off balance
March 29, 2013 at 12:42PM   
Jayme H.
Hmmm..Wonder how hanging anything else on it would work either?....Ie: what to hang the shelves on?
March 29, 2013 at 12:46PM   
Jayme H.
Are u sheetrocking the rest of the walls to the sides of your 8 foot area u are tiling? I just re-read your post..are u planning to not have the firebox centered on the new travertine? You mentioned 2 and a half feet of space to each side, which wouldn't happen if u centered the Firebox on the new tile.
March 29, 2013 at 1:00PM     
cmcole1121
Why don't u put tv to the right instead of over fireplace?
March 29, 2013 at 1:05PM   
bubkus
Jayme...Yes I am sheetrocking the sides of the walls (2 and a half ft on each side of stone). Was thinking of putting a contrast textural wallpaper there or paint.
March 29, 2013 at 1:09PM   
Jayme H.
Where will your firebox be in relation to the new tiles? Centered on the new tiles. or not?
March 29, 2013 at 1:23PM   
bubkus
Jayme...The fp will be left flanking on the stone... See attached image of the tv marked in tape.
March 29, 2013 at 1:32PM   
bubkus
I removed the hearth and step
March 29, 2013 at 1:32PM   
Jayme H.
I didn't imagine such a large t.v., so that changes things. So your symmetry problem would be below the t.v. to the right of the firebox?

Wallpapering both sides would be fine...

As for the space below the t.v. and to the right of the firebox...You could place a decorative piece there.
March 29, 2013 at 1:50PM     
bubkus
Thank you Jayme... yes that's my main issue. My GC thinks I should stone the entire wall. I definitely need an object to the right of the fp
March 29, 2013 at 1:57PM   
Jayme H.
But...I am not sure that putting stone on the whole wall would be a bad idea either-that may look better than small areas of wallpaper on the sides.....Maybe others will add opinions..I will "like" this dilemma, sometimes people see that and join in...
March 29, 2013 at 2:11PM     
bubkus
I am so grateful for the advice!
March 29, 2013 at 2:14PM     
Leslie Kreger
Have you tried taping out the tv to the right of the fireplace? I think that would work and agree with Jayme re:putting stone across the whole wall. Looks like a fun project!

Good Luck~
March 29, 2013 at 2:17PM   
Victor
What about cutting in a wood box to the right of the firebox? That would fix the symmetry problem and you could stack wood in there more for decoration. Especially if you plan on using traverine to redo the wall.
March 29, 2013 at 2:22PM   
Jayme H.
@Leslie Kreger..Yes...I am wondering if it would work better than 2 smaller areas of wallpaper to each side...C Mon...Houzzers..join us.
March 29, 2013 at 2:43PM   
Jayme H.
Help...Can some Houzzers please come in with ideas/opinions?
March 29, 2013 at 3:42PM   
Olivia
I like the idea of adding a firewood box to the right for symmetry.

When we added gas logs to our existing wood-burning fireplace, our contractor recommended painting the interior firebox with high temperature black paint. We removed the dated fire screen, so now the fire bricks are "invisible" in a black background.

If you paint the fir bricks black and also paint the background of your firewood box, shelving, or entertainment unit built-in under the right side of the flat screen, it may give the illusion of one cohesive balanced entity the same size as the TV.
March 29, 2013 at 4:14PM   
Jayme H.
pic
March 29, 2013 at 4:18PM   
marymillar
How about just a freestanding log crate? I think that's all you need to do to create an impression of balance.
March 29, 2013 at 4:43PM     
bowdavis
Are you sure your tv can handle the heat from the fireplace?
March 29, 2013 at 5:33PM     
bowdavis
If it can handle the heat, why not tile the entire wall and center the tv over the fireplace. You could then add a tall plant on the right side of the wall. The fireplace and tv would then appear to be centered.
March 29, 2013 at 5:38PM   
North Star Stone
Since you aren't able to dig out the wall, you might consider a box or shelf (shelves) to hold wood. We've worked with several "off-center" fireplaces and it often works well to put a nook, bookshelf or box for holding wood, kindling, and even electronics which balances the space and can also be useful storage.

Here's a few examples-
Mountain Stack Stone Veneer

Stone Fireplaces Before & After

Ledge Stone Fireplace Album 3 1

Ledge Stone Fireplace Album 3 2

Hope this helps!
March 29, 2013 at 5:56PM     
Kivi
I would be inclined to cover the entire wall in stone, and then maybe incorporate some shelves like some of the ones in the pictures that Jayme Hobbs put up.
On another note... I think you are going to have some serious heat damage issues with the TV being so low to the opening of the fireplace. That is really close.
March 29, 2013 at 6:02PM     
Jayme H.
I would wonder to about there not being enough space between the FP and the t.v....??Anyone know how far apart these should be?
March 29, 2013 at 8:02PM     
Dullea and Associates Inc.
I will begin by recommending that you check the specification on the TV to make sure you have the proper clearance. Many manufacturers have recommended clearances from fireplace openings. After researching this you may very well decide to go with a smaller TV. I feel the scale of a smaller TV would be beneficial.

Since you are going contemporary I feel a stone and drywall design would look nice. I would move the TV over to the right about 8" so the left side of the firebox and left side of the TV are not in line with one another. The photo Jayme Hobbs posted in the first post is a nice example.

As for the stone I feel you could have a 'L' shape design with the short leg of the 'L' running vertically from the ceiling downward. This would be approx. 4' wide and run past the right side of the vent. The long leg of the 'L' would run horizontally across the wall. The top of the stone would be 8" above the top of the firebox. I would fur the stone out 3 to 4 inches as well. Doing so will allow you to recess the drywall while providing a ledge or the TV. This could also provide some protection for the TV as it appears the wall above the firebox is soiled with smoke residue.

I also like the idea of adding a floating hearth. The hearth serve as a great place to display a piece of art or something.
March 29, 2013 at 8:11PM     
Jayme H.
@Dullea and Associates...Great info! I thought a design like that would look better than a full wall of tile/stone and/or strips of sheetrock on the sides of the tile..You helped put it into clearer perspective. Glad u weighed in!
March 29, 2013 at 8:33PM   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Happy to help!
March 29, 2013 at 8:43PM     
Jayme H.
@Dullea and Associates...Thank you..I didn't say that before!
March 30, 2013 at 6:53AM   
Lori-Girl Creations, Inc. Interior Designer
hi Bubkus-I tried to call you at work but did not have an extension. Please call me back
March 30, 2013 at 7:32AM   
jnjnthomas
Is there no other wall space big enough for the TV?
April 1, 2013 at 10:04PM   
Please help me make some final kitchen decisions
My new kitchen has white gloss cabinets, cambria charston...
Help me make a decision please!
I can't make-up my mind on new bedroom furniture. :(...
i need really sophisticated software to help me make decisions
3 months ago i bought a great house with a spectacular...
Help me Making decision between PVC or MDF cupboards
What would be the best material for kitchen cupboards...
Bathroom fitter is here NOW. Help me make a decision!!!
Guest Bathroom is being done today. The room is quite...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Need major advice for a church sanctuary
This is a picture of the left side wall of our sanctuary...
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Which do you prefer gas or electric stoves?
We were just having a discussion the other day with...
front door color...
wondering how to handle the paint color on the front...