need ideas for my living room
Hearting Wang
March 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought the dark gray sofa and the white coffee table for my living room. Then I wanna change the decorative pillow, the rug and look for the lighting ,TV stand and sth else to make the area more modern, brighter, and even cozy. BTW, the color around the fireplace is like cappuccino and red around my living room. Any suggestions about color, style, layout or objects would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
latifeh
All the colors will work in this room for pillows red yellow blue you name it
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 1:32PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Two ways to go: pops of teal and aubergine look great. Add mercury glass and silvers and it looks amazing
Guest Bedroom
OR you can go with the rich jewel colours: orange, gold
Private residence
2 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 2:07PM
leelee
Some big pieces of art but I'd stay away from having too much red in whatever paintings you choose. Just a very small hint of red would tie it together. Go for black and white or I always love the look of vintage posters with modern furnishings. They're fun, colorful, inexpensive and large. Google vintage posters, food/travel. Is the wall behind your sofa red or magenta?
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 2:32PM
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
Hearting, please note that not any art would look right against dark red background. For modern look, I suggest trying some Black&White images, possibly with a splash of color and in white or cappuccino frames. If you are trying to add other colors, you can do it through more colorful art and pillows with colors inspired by art. Best of luck!... Raisa
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 3:13PM
Hearting Wang
Hi leelee, it's red which is the original color when I moved in. I am trying to use some furnitures and decorations without painting to make it great. Tks for every suggestion above!
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 3:55PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
OMG it looks so totally aubergine. I apologise. Reds are different kettle of fish. You can either play the monochrome look, but if you want to add colour, go for the full set of analogous colours: yelllow, orange, red, purple will bring out the richness of the room.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 12:53AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Have you thought of boxing out the mantle to a simple more modern one. Also getting a screen that's more modern and that would mount to the wall off the floor would feel more in keeping with the fireplace. The fireplace really sets the tone in the room. I would go with chrome screen & f/p tools. Some sculpture would be nice in this room. This one is from lampsplus.com Enjoy. I will be enjoying the progress...
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 2:18AM
leelee
I usually like mantles but in this case I would consider removing it. There's something shiny forming boxes on the sides of the fireplace??? Can that be removed? I really don't mind the rug that you have but with the white table you do need a color and you have had some great suggestions above with teal or aubergine. Can you place the rug elsewhere? Your home looks fantastic with minimal changes. The addition of live green trees/palms/plants always adds an organic element that every home can use.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 5:27AM