Need advice for my kitchen

codenwellMarch 29, 2013
Brand new white appliances do not look so good next to oak cabinets. Thinking of painting them. Should I go all white or I was thinking about an espresso on bottom 1/2 and white on top. Ideas or suggestions would sure be welcomed. I do not know what to do.
Expresso cabinets look great against white appliances.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:11PM
codenwell
Thank you. I was worried if I went all espresso there would be too much contrast. My husband will kill me. We will have to paint all the trim white if I do the espresso!
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:21PM
tennisanyone
Don't break up the kitchen by painting the top and bottom different colors. Stick with one. I think the color of the walls are more of the problem then the cabinet themselves unless you really hate them. I think I would paint the kitchen green.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:22PM
seattlle
i would paint them a shiney black, replace drawer pulls and cabinet knobs with white ceramic and do a black n white patterned wall paper and black n white patterned area rugs would turn the kinda country kitchen them you got here into a most modern chic look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:35PM
clarejames
Espresso would look lovely, and two tone cabinets is definitely of the moment... Something I'm just about to do myself..
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:45PM
I like Seattle's idea for the black and white kitchen, though I would only use semi-gloss paint on the cabinets. I also very much like the kitchen below that has green walls and white cabinets and appliances. Of course, the butcher block adds greatly to the look.
Crisp Architects · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:56PM
codenwell
Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. Leaning toward the espresso. Really looks sharp in the picture.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:53PM
onthefence
I've attached a link to a favorite recent kitchen of the week ideabook and to one specific photo from the ideabook. The owner started off with all white cabinets and just replaced her doors with wood - the trim remained white. She has many white appliances as well. I think the combo of wood/white looks really sharp and well integrated.

You could possibly paint your cabinet box/frame only and leave the doors as is.

KOW · More Info

Ideabook: Kitchen of the Week: Practical, Budget-Friendly Beauty in Dallas · See Ideabook
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:29PM
anitajoyce
Paint them all in white , will you replace the countertops in the future? If so, you could add some contrast to the countertops in something darker!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:44PM
codenwell
Yes. Counter tops will be replaced at same time & will be determined based on my cabinet color. I did find pictures of a litchen that was all white and reminded me a little of my kitchen layout. Your right. The white is stunning. Eventually the trim will be white as well. Not moving into it til June 1st so I guess I have plenty of time to paint!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:57AM
anitajoyce
Cool! go with the all white cabinets.. They will be light and bright , nicely updated and you and your husband will love it!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 5:08AM
Lkristine
Maybe this will give you a visual that helps make your decision. I do not like the lower half dark and the top light. That is just my opinion.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 6:04AM
anitajoyce
I would change the rugs also. They take up too much of the nice wood floor area. Something smaller would work better.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 6:29AM
codenwell
Wow, thank you for the visual! That is awesome and so appreciated because it is going to be the white kitchen. Thought I would love the espresso but I am not liking it in this picture. Oh my husband is going to have a canary! We just bought this house & moving into it in a couple months. Downsizing from our big house with huge kitchen and island to this plus about 3 acres less to maintain. He will help me paint it cause he wants to keep me happy!! Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:21PM
pcmom1
I don't really "get" a rug in the kitchen. Just seems like something to spill on or trip over. I would add a gel mat in front of the sink.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:37PM
CADMIUM INTERIORS LLC
I think light colored cabs are the way to go with the white appliances. Light colored cabinets are a new trend. Thanks to @Lkristine, I definitely would not do the espresso or even white. Light gray, a buttery yellow or even a light green would look very pretty.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:56PM
onthefence
I like that photo of the white inspiration kitchen. Very pretty! One thing I notice there that helps to break up the expanse of white is some upper glass doors.

Perhaps you might consider either completely replacing a few upper doors with paint grade/glass ready - or have the center panel cut out of a couple doors and replace it with glass.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:06PM
Rosemary Davis
When I look at your kitchen all I see it the white door. Maybe you could gel stain it to coordinate with the trim/floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:38PM
Faith
The white visual looks the best to me. Lkristine, how do you do that? I could really use a tool like that to work out some ideas.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:11PM
Ann
Lots of good ideas, but I'd like to add that I think it looks fine as is. Though my personal preference is stainless appliances, I think your kitchen looks quite nice as is and the white and oak combo is fine. The rugs work well with the current colors too, although you are covering up a lot of your nice floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:27PM
yvonnecmartin
To me what is not working is the wall color, not the cabinet color. I don't have a specific suggestion, but probably others will chime in.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:31PM
Lkristine
Faith, that is just a free app on the Benjamin Moore website. It is created so you can paint your walls, but, you can paint anything within your image too!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:43PM
Elaine M. Rushlow C.K.D.
personally I like the dark the white looks to washed out.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:46PM
zennifer
I agre with trying some wall paint first. Maybe try the paint program on the walls!
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:51PM
HI -- The white appliances should work fine with the cabinets .... That's not the problem -- It's that blairing white door and the bland wall color, fix those first and then I think it will look a lot better . You can have a richer color with the wood and trims etc. Maybe a cinnamon or a orangy gold or a green , Try a few color cards to find the perfect color . I don't think you need the carpets in the kitchen . So when you paint the walls - do the door also .
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:58PM
pcmom1
Painting cabinets I have heard is very labor intensive. So, I would do as suggested by Lefty 47 and others, paint the walls a warmer, richer color. First, find a wonderful rich fabric in warm colors for new valances for your windows, then choose your paint color. And, yes, paint that door!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:47PM
CADMIUM INTERIORS LLC
Yes, I would not paint cabinets if you do not have to. There are some really beautiful cabinets out there in various colors now that I think would be gorgeous! But if budget is an issue and new cabinets are not in the works, there is not a whole lot you can do unless you paint either the cabs or the walls.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:55PM
Need advice for my kitchen
I plan on getting a farmhouse sink for my new kitchen....
jocytatum
please need advice for my kitchen!
Will be moving into a 6 year old house soon. The kitchen...
bvicare
Need advice for my kitchen!!!
I have a very small kitchen. Small as in it only allows...
Amanda Golden
Need advice on my kitchen cabinets!
My home is approximately 11 years old. The kitchen...
artfulcath
Need advice for my kitchen layout
Hello! This is my kitchen project. I have doubts if...
Verena Obry
Need ideas for remodeling small bathroom
We need to reconfigure this 5'x9-1/2' bathroom to be...
machapman1
Whitewashed red brick - Hot or not?
Hi, I have a fire opening with no mantel or details...
cobeand
What colour grout should I use. Thanks
The tiles are gray- the cabinets are off white and...
marysamide
What is the best paint to re-paint our exterior stucco walls?
The last painter used an elastomeric paint. I think...
leenet13
How can we make our entry more private?
Our house is on the street...as you can see, our front...
leenet13