Need advice for my kitchen

codenwellMarch 29, 2013
Brand new white appliances do not look so good next to oak cabinets. Thinking of painting them. Should I go all white or I was thinking about an espresso on bottom 1/2 and white on top. Ideas or suggestions would sure be welcomed. I do not know what to do.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Expresso cabinets look great against white appliances.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:11PM
codenwell
Thank you. I was worried if I went all espresso there would be too much contrast. My husband will kill me. We will have to paint all the trim white if I do the espresso!
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:21PM
tennisanyone
Don't break up the kitchen by painting the top and bottom different colors. Stick with one. I think the color of the walls are more of the problem then the cabinet themselves unless you really hate them. I think I would paint the kitchen green.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:22PM
seattlle
i would paint them a shiney black, replace drawer pulls and cabinet knobs with white ceramic and do a black n white patterned wall paper and black n white patterned area rugs would turn the kinda country kitchen them you got here into a most modern chic look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:35PM
clarejames
Espresso would look lovely, and two tone cabinets is definitely of the moment... Something I'm just about to do myself..
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:45PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I like Seattle's idea for the black and white kitchen, though I would only use semi-gloss paint on the cabinets. I also very much like the kitchen below that has green walls and white cabinets and appliances. Of course, the butcher block adds greatly to the look.
Crisp Architects · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:56PM
codenwell
Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. Leaning toward the espresso. Really looks sharp in the picture.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:53PM
onthefence
I've attached a link to a favorite recent kitchen of the week ideabook and to one specific photo from the ideabook. The owner started off with all white cabinets and just replaced her doors with wood - the trim remained white. She has many white appliances as well. I think the combo of wood/white looks really sharp and well integrated.

You could possibly paint your cabinet box/frame only and leave the doors as is.

KOW · More Info

Ideabook: Kitchen of the Week: Practical, Budget-Friendly Beauty in Dallas · See Ideabook
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:29PM
anitajoyce
Paint them all in white , will you replace the countertops in the future? If so, you could add some contrast to the countertops in something darker!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:44PM
codenwell
Yes. Counter tops will be replaced at same time & will be determined based on my cabinet color. I did find pictures of a litchen that was all white and reminded me a little of my kitchen layout. Your right. The white is stunning. Eventually the trim will be white as well. Not moving into it til June 1st so I guess I have plenty of time to paint!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:57AM
anitajoyce
Cool! go with the all white cabinets.. They will be light and bright , nicely updated and you and your husband will love it!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 5:08AM
Lkristine
Maybe this will give you a visual that helps make your decision. I do not like the lower half dark and the top light. That is just my opinion.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 6:04AM
anitajoyce
I would change the rugs also. They take up too much of the nice wood floor area. Something smaller would work better.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 6:29AM
codenwell
Wow, thank you for the visual! That is awesome and so appreciated because it is going to be the white kitchen. Thought I would love the espresso but I am not liking it in this picture. Oh my husband is going to have a canary! We just bought this house & moving into it in a couple months. Downsizing from our big house with huge kitchen and island to this plus about 3 acres less to maintain. He will help me paint it cause he wants to keep me happy!! Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:21PM
pcmom1
I don't really "get" a rug in the kitchen. Just seems like something to spill on or trip over. I would add a gel mat in front of the sink.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:37PM
PRO
CADMIUM INTERIORS LLC
I think light colored cabs are the way to go with the white appliances. Light colored cabinets are a new trend. Thanks to @Lkristine, I definitely would not do the espresso or even white. Light gray, a buttery yellow or even a light green would look very pretty.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:56PM
onthefence
I like that photo of the white inspiration kitchen. Very pretty! One thing I notice there that helps to break up the expanse of white is some upper glass doors.

Perhaps you might consider either completely replacing a few upper doors with paint grade/glass ready - or have the center panel cut out of a couple doors and replace it with glass.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:06PM
Rosemary Davis
When I look at your kitchen all I see it the white door. Maybe you could gel stain it to coordinate with the trim/floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:38PM
Faith
The white visual looks the best to me. Lkristine, how do you do that? I could really use a tool like that to work out some ideas.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:11PM
Ann
Lots of good ideas, but I'd like to add that I think it looks fine as is. Though my personal preference is stainless appliances, I think your kitchen looks quite nice as is and the white and oak combo is fine. The rugs work well with the current colors too, although you are covering up a lot of your nice floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:27PM
yvonnecmartin
To me what is not working is the wall color, not the cabinet color. I don't have a specific suggestion, but probably others will chime in.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:31PM
Lkristine
Faith, that is just a free app on the Benjamin Moore website. It is created so you can paint your walls, but, you can paint anything within your image too!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:43PM
PRO
Elaine M. Rushlow C.K.D.
personally I like the dark the white looks to washed out.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:46PM
zennifer
I agre with trying some wall paint first. Maybe try the paint program on the walls!
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:51PM
lefty47
HI -- The white appliances should work fine with the cabinets .... That's not the problem -- It's that blairing white door and the bland wall color, fix those first and then I think it will look a lot better . You can have a richer color with the wood and trims etc. Maybe a cinnamon or a orangy gold or a green , Try a few color cards to find the perfect color . I don't think you need the carpets in the kitchen . So when you paint the walls - do the door also .
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:58PM
pcmom1
Painting cabinets I have heard is very labor intensive. So, I would do as suggested by Lefty 47 and others, paint the walls a warmer, richer color. First, find a wonderful rich fabric in warm colors for new valances for your windows, then choose your paint color. And, yes, paint that door!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:47PM
PRO
CADMIUM INTERIORS LLC
Yes, I would not paint cabinets if you do not have to. There are some really beautiful cabinets out there in various colors now that I think would be gorgeous! But if budget is an issue and new cabinets are not in the works, there is not a whole lot you can do unless you paint either the cabs or the walls.
    Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:55PM