Need ideas for this painted furniture
brownal59
March 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I inherited this bedroom suite and the paint colors were cute back in 1986 when my daughter was born. Now they look garish and inappropriate for anyone over 5 years old. I'd like to paint them, but have no idea how to make the pieces look more neutral, but I don't like white furniture. A friend suggested a wheat color, I read about chalk paint on here, and I kind of wonder how glazing would look having some of the original colors peeking through. There is a vanity, dresser and double bed in the suite, which was a wedding present to my great aunt in 1920. I am creatively challenged and don't know where to start or how to decide what to do! Any help or ideas are appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
sixteen fourteen
I posted in another post about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...seriously, it changed my life (I am such a painting novice, but this stuff is amazing!) If you're wondering whether it's worth the hype, check out my little experiment. http://sixteenfourteen.weebly.com/2/post/2012/07/annie-sloan-chalk-paint-worth-the-hype.html

Good luck! And seriously, if I can use this stuff, anyone can. No...they are not paying me..I just love it! ;-)
March 29, 2013 at 3:50pm     
claudiann
Do you like the spindles? I would think about removing them. I think the color would depend on the color of the room and bedding. Do you know what color those will be?
March 29, 2013 at 6:05pm   
judianna20
kind of a Scandinavian feel. All white, matte, with soft blue/grey bedding.

March 29, 2013 at 6:11pm   
libradesigneye
Keep the whole design intact, spindles and all. Since your daughter is likely out of the house, the way to bring this forward is with all one color, but a fresh classic tone. I say robins egg blue - something classic for furniture but fun enough for the design of this antique. See http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/jamestownblue but use a satin rather than a gloss or a flat.

I have used the chalk paint and am a big fan but colors are somewhat limited unless you are an artist at mixing and the layers are thick - I would not recommend it for this set due to its provenance and the fact that it has been painted (charmingly i might add) before. In all one historic color like this, the design won't read juvenile, but in fact, classic american coastal antique.
March 29, 2013 at 6:21pm     
becwat
Black. Solid black.
March 29, 2013 at 6:33pm     
brownal59
Thank you all so much for your ideas and advice! I love this site!
March 29, 2013 at 7:43pm   
Christina Lambard
I like the spindles, actually, and the grey is nice. How about adding some cool knobs? You could really pair some emerald green glass knobs with the grey paint for a nice pop of color.
Anthropologie has a bunch of knobs (with various styles) and there's a site called coolknobsandpulls.com (I think) with a bunch of options as well.
I don't know anything about chalk paint, but if you can take it down to the original wood and stain it with unique hardware I think it would be amazing.
Hope this helps--good luck!
March 29, 2013 at 7:48pm