Need ideas for this painted furniture
brownal59
I inherited this bedroom suite and the paint colors were cute back in 1986 when my daughter was born. Now they look garish and inappropriate for anyone over 5 years old. I'd like to paint them, but have no idea how to make the pieces look more neutral, but I don't like white furniture. A friend suggested a wheat color, I read about chalk paint on here, and I kind of wonder how glazing would look having some of the original colors peeking through. There is a vanity, dresser and double bed in the suite, which was a wedding present to my great aunt in 1920. I am creatively challenged and don't know where to start or how to decide what to do! Any help or ideas are appreciated!
sixteen fourteen
I posted in another post about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...seriously, it changed my life (I am such a painting novice, but this stuff is amazing!) If you're wondering whether it's worth the hype, check out my little experiment. http://sixteenfourteen.weebly.com/2/post/2012/07/annie-sloan-chalk-paint-worth-the-hype.html

Good luck! And seriously, if I can use this stuff, anyone can. No...they are not paying me..I just love it! ;-)
March 29, 2013 at 3:50pm     
claudiann
Do you like the spindles? I would think about removing them. I think the color would depend on the color of the room and bedding. Do you know what color those will be?
March 29, 2013 at 6:05pm   
kind of a Scandinavian feel. All white, matte, with soft blue/grey bedding.

March 29, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Keep the whole design intact, spindles and all. Since your daughter is likely out of the house, the way to bring this forward is with all one color, but a fresh classic tone. I say robins egg blue - something classic for furniture but fun enough for the design of this antique. See http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/jamestownblue but use a satin rather than a gloss or a flat.

I have used the chalk paint and am a big fan but colors are somewhat limited unless you are an artist at mixing and the layers are thick - I would not recommend it for this set due to its provenance and the fact that it has been painted (charmingly i might add) before. In all one historic color like this, the design won't read juvenile, but in fact, classic american coastal antique.
March 29, 2013 at 6:21pm     
becwat
Black. Solid black.
March 29, 2013 at 6:33pm     
brownal59
Thank you all so much for your ideas and advice! I love this site!
March 29, 2013 at 7:43pm   
Christina Lambard
I like the spindles, actually, and the grey is nice. How about adding some cool knobs? You could really pair some emerald green glass knobs with the grey paint for a nice pop of color.
Anthropologie has a bunch of knobs (with various styles) and there's a site called coolknobsandpulls.com (I think) with a bunch of options as well.
I don't know anything about chalk paint, but if you can take it down to the original wood and stain it with unique hardware I think it would be amazing.
Hope this helps--good luck!
March 29, 2013 at 7:48pm     
Need paint color ideas to match the furniture
Not sure what color to paint the walls or what I should...
Buying this house and need paint and furniture ideas
Decor/Furniture in photo belong to seller of house...they...
Need help for set up living room (super weird layout)
We just got a townhouse, we need to do the flooring...
Daughter's Studio Apartment
My daughter is going through a divorce and will be...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
Recommendations for garden planning software/programs?
I like using Homestyler for inside the house, but am...
What stays what goes to change this kitchen?
Our kitchen is nice.... but nice and dark... sadly...