vettheadJune 29, 2011
How was the fieldstone installed for the fireplace? Is there mortar or grout in between the stones. It doesn't look like there is any showing so I am just wondering how that was installed.
It is just gorgeous! We are building a new home and using this as inspiration for our family room! Thank you for posting your pics.
Traditional Family Room · More Info
Castro Design Studio
Thanks for your kind words! The stone is dry stacked with mortar (the mortar is used in the back part of the stone, so it does not show. ) The stones are three inches thick, so they can be stacked like bricks in front of the firebox, which is an Isokern unit. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 6:18PM
vetthead
Hello again,
So we are about to start on the fireplace and we selected a bluestone. The stone we selected that looked similar was a bluestone ledgestone. I don't think this is going to give us the same look as your fireplace because the ledgestone has a cut/or smooth edge on 2 of the sides.
So my question is what kind of stone was this that you used? I know you said it was a "fieldstone mix" but was it cut or smooth on any of the sides? Or was each piece completely rough/jagged on all the edges? This might be a question for the company that installed. I would be happy to "bother" them if you could pass along their info.
Thank you again for your help. I am trying to get this right!
    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:46AM
Castro Design Studio
Hello,

As I mentioned before, it was a fieldstone mix. They used what is referred to as a 1 to 1.5 inch stone. It is rough on all sides, but much flatter than a thicker stone. The pieces were field cut, so the edges were not clean on any side.

If you do not like the way the stone you selected looks, you could perhaps ask the stone mason to chip at the face of the stone a bit to rough it up some.

I hope this helps!
    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 1:35PM
7lexi7
I just want to say that I've been looking at fireplaces for years (really...years) trying to figure out how to fix my fireplace. This is just a perfect fireplace for the room you've designed -- it's elegant and warm; hard to pull off both at the same time! Kudos.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:47AM
Castro Design Studio
Thank you so very much for your kind comment! Great way to start the week!
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:15AM
katrinka000
Love this room! I have searching for stone similar to this and have gotten nowhere. Think you company would ship it?
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:02PM
Pergola
Is this a paint or stain on the pergola? What brand/color?...
kimbelk
In Dunwoody, GA, Action Septic Tank Service repaired...
Action Septic Tank Service
high quality comforter for winter
Hi - I would like some advice on warm bed comforters...
lady_slipper
Best paint color with honey oak
We just purchased a new home with all honey oak trim...
kfrugoli
Need help for my bedroom
Since I live in a hot city where the weather is above...
Artika Pati
painting paneling - high gloss, semi gloss???
I am planning to paint the paneling in our new den....
rebeccagrennhenderson
Thermafoil white cabinets now turning yellow, Now what?
My cabinets in my bathroom are 15 yrs old. They are...
lvpugs