Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyonion

Small home office in dining room?

Stacey Onion
7 years ago
I'm in the need of a small home office and the only space that is open is the unused part of my dining,which only gets used on holidays. Any ideas for furniture placement? Please dis regard the random items, we also sell antiques and have a bit of overflow

Comments (52)

• Maureen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think my first step would be to go with a less formal feeling - replacing valances, remove table runner, feminine accessories, etc. and try for more of a casual, rustic feel to the dining room, so your options for the office area can be more relaxed. You could replace your chandelier and duplicate in the front portion. Don't add a desk per se - since you collect antiques, look for a great table and add bookcases on either side of window (bottom section could have doors, to hide your office stuff). The look below is sort of the idea and if you place your chair facing the window, you could take advantage of the view.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love the idea of going more rustic and this room has been waiting to be done so color, window treatments, etc are all out. I do have another office off of my kitchen with doors that close off the room. My husband uses that office but I need another computer/ workspace.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think I'll use the space that's empty right now because the room facing the table right now is a sitting room so I don't want to sitting type areas back to back.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I would love to see more pictures. When I use the dining space I do need to sit 10-12 people, sometimes more.
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

What a wonderful oversize space for dual use! I love Maureen's images with built in bookcases to either side of the windows (and underneath too!). A library feel also works well for those twice a year family meals; who knows, you might be drawn into the room for more than two a year! Dining rooms lend themselves very well to library office functions; the dining table makes a great work table

One thing you'll probably want to tackle is more and better lighting in the room, particularly over the table and desk. If there's an attic over this room, its very very simple. If there's a second floor it's not as simple, but certainly do-able by cutting some holes in the drywall to fish wire, then patching.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Doug, my husband is an electrician so that shouldn't be a problem. Do you think bookcases on both windows on each side of the room or just the office side?
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Any thoughts on a round dining table?
  • baileysr
    7 years ago
    If you have access to antiques and like that kind of style, how about keeping your eye out for a beautiful side-by-side or secretary desk? I keep one in my living room just because it's beautiful, but they're also very functional. It would look just fine in your dining room.
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

Stacey: I'd tend to favor one end to provide function and identity for the office. Bookcases make a room! This is a living room/library I did in Denver.

Townhome in Cherry Creek · More Info

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is this the idea? I tacked up some drapes I had stored away just to get an idea. I had the table and pulled up a dining room chair. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

A desk by a window is always a good idea. It could also be perpendicular to the window so you are looking out the French doors to the left. Or you could have bookcases cover the entire wall including under the window, and use those as a credenza, floating the desk further into the room with your back to the window. Your choice!

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Doug, if I build bookcases what should I do with the curtains? It's a bay window.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    I'm sad, why don't you make your doing room a room you enjoy more than twice a year? What a complete waste of space! If it's a room you hate and only use twice a year, think how your guests must feel? You need to rethink how you use the space in your house and if you have more rooms like this you need to replan the space.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, that's what I'm doing now :)
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Other furniture placement
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Do you have a formal living room no one goes into also? If so, that might also be a good place to put a office.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    One of the reasons it only gets used a few times a year is because I have a table in my kitchen that expands to seat 12 and we do weekend family dinners there. I guess it begs the questions, do I need this seating area at all?
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    OK, I see now, the sateen swags are going bye bye, yeah! By the way, you have a nice dining room. Why not eat in there more? It's a great way to get kids talking even if it's carry out pizza. You just get wash and dry tablecloths to cover the table from Williams Sonoma.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

getting closer t how i saw the room in my head. you will need some storage though

• Maureen
    7 years ago

Not sure of your plans for the rest of the room, as it still needs to be cozier and more practical/comfortable. If you are going with the set up facing the French doors - maybe if you moved the desk more into the middle (adding a fixture if you could) and then added a comfy chair in corner and with the floor lamp, it could be a great spot to take a break. If desk is facing the dining area, you could add a really nice bench seat with storage underneath the window. An area rug will ground the space. I think you have the right idea, just have to fine tune your needs as well. It will be a great use of space when you are finished.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Staceyonion, that is exactly why I am asking. How do you LIVE? I had a tiny dining room, it was claustrophobic to have dinners in it (nothing like yours) and I had a huge family room next to a huge formal living room. I don't need TWO living spaces next to each other and I certainly don't need a formal living room. My solution was to turn my dining room into the study and my family room into the dining room. I ditched the formal living room concept and have a livable living room. But I use my dining room for evening meals and I always have used my dining room for that purpose - I grew up having dinner in the dining room. It's a wonderful place to get to know your children. If you have rooms in the house that are being used only 2 times a year, then it is a complete waste of space. All rooms should be in use.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do have an informal sitting area right next to the dining room through the French doors. I also have a large family room but this little room gets used all the time because it's right off the kitchen.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    It's your home, use the space how you want. Just because some Realtor said it was a dining room means nothing because the Realtor doesn't LIVE in your home.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Can you post a picture of where you have family dinners? And do you have a house layout?
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I only have 1 child home now so we eat together at the kitchen table.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    And in my opinion, I would ditch the formal dining stuff because you clearly don't live that way. Does your informal dining area have a fireplace?? There is nothing better than family dinners with a roaring fire going in comfy chairs in a large room. People love to eat in a dining room (1) if it's not formal (2) if they don't have to sit in uncomfortable chairs (3) if there is good food.
  • Maureen
    7 years ago

On your way...I'm sure you had next steps in mind. To help...consider seating and storage for a practical/comfortable space. If you are going with desk facing the doorway - maybe if you moved the desk more into the middle (adding a fixture if you could - see below) and then added a comfy chair in corner and with the floor lamp, it could be a great reading spot. If desk is facing the dining area, again move into room and you could add a bench seat under the window for reading. An area rug will ground the space and I think you have the right idea, just have to fine tune - bookscase, comfy seating, etc. It will be a great use of space when you are finished.

Stacey Onion thanked Maureen
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The eating area of the kitchen
  • Maureen
    7 years ago

After reading some of the comments...what do you think about moving your sitting room's furniture into the other room near the fireplace, which will better compliment the office end. Compliment the casual blue rug for the office area to tie the rooms together. Big question though..is the sitting room large enough for your dining set (could remove the leaves and make this into an intimate dining space/breakfast room) and reupholster the chairs for a more casual/fun look. Would your couch/seating work in other room - I wonder if you placed your couch facing the window with a console table behind and the two chairs by the window with your tv (I assume you have) over the fireplace. Or you could try the couch facing the fireplace and two chairs on either side of fireplace. Another idea is to remove the French doors, so you have more space to add the chair in the far right corner. I removed some French doors and the space felt so much more open.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Consider your built in area we worked on before for your computer space. Can you find another spot for the dog dishes?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok. Here is my hand drawing of the layout. I'm sure the scale is off but you'll get an idea.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was thinking of that decoenthusiast but I would like to use this dead space in the dining room. Also that other space feels like it's in the door entry way. That's the door we use all the time.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Maureen, I don't think my table would fit in that small space and then it would also be in the line of sight of my kitchen table ( kind of redundant) I've thought of moving the sitting area to the dining space but everybody LOVES to sit there because it's off the kitchen but I really wish it was a bigger space.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maureen, I like the idea of removing the french doors but I'm not sure of what you mean with the chair. I don't think I can open the whole wall because it's supporting and I will need some kind of support on each side so they'll be a bump out.

• Maureen
    7 years ago

Removing the French doors would allow more space in that corner but there is no need if keeping as is and your sitting area is just fine and being off the kitchen, it's probably very convenient. I was more thinking around getting the most out of your fireplace in my idea. Have another thought if you don't mind...my brother switched his dining room to the front of the house and it looks lovely as your enter. If you don't use the dining room very much, going those extra few feet won't be much of a problem...but then you have an office with a fireplace and will also have a view/connection into the sitting room and others. Below are for set up ideas only.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok, thoughts?
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago

laurkade, I was considering that too but we have another office almost adjacent to that space and everyone really likes sitting there so I hate to remove seating.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago

With my funky floor plan I'm starting to feel like I need HGTV to come in and rework all my first floor space. I have a lot of floor space but I just can't seem to make it work! Grrrrr

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Consider flipping the little sitting room and the office, since it is apparent that the big dining table in the other room is more family friendly and well-used. Center the area rug on the window and FP. Flank the FP with your two wicker chairs and float the sofa facing it. Bring the desk and bench into this little room for your office. To fill the far end of the long dining room, would hubby enjoy a pool table?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is it just too weird to have two sitting rooms next to each other until we can open up that wall?
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

I like your original plan. The desk looks better at the far end and the dining table by the fireplace. I would build bookshelves all the way across the wall under the bay, maybe put doors on some to hide the ugly office accoutrement. Then face the desk into the room.

Skip the curtains. You don't need them and IMO they look silly in a bay that doesn't go to the floor. If you need window coverings of some kind, go with inside mount roman shades.

• Maureen
    7 years ago

How does the dining room flipped work for you? With the office space at the far end, you can now enjoy the fireplace while you work and it can also be viewed from the sitting room. I have a fireplace in my working area and love it, especially in the morning to take the chill out of the room. I think you just have to fine tune the space to make it work. You could add a nice wing back chair, bookcases on either side of the fireplace, a great light fixture, move the rug into the dining room and add a smaller one in front of the desk and maybe place your drapery on this window. It's all in the details. If you can imagine the room below...bookcases would be on either side of fireplace and window behind. Note size of rug and lantern.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So a smaller rug with the table half on half off? Also I don't have high ceilings so I can't go that big on the fixture but I like the looks of it. Desk in front of the window, right?
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Never a table half on, half off a rug. Why do you need a smaller rug? There's plenty of space for your office with the rug you've got.

• Maureen
    7 years ago

You might have to play around with the rug's location and size, if moving the other one to the dining room. The rug in my sample picture is a nice size/location, so your chair won't be getting stuck and I don't think you need two large rugs in this combined space. You could bring home a few and see what works (over dyed rugs are really nice) and compliments other two rugs that are in close proximity. I like the desk in front of window and instead of a hanging chandelier, use a semi-flush mount (not sure what you like, but some ideas below). You could add a pretty slip cover (in mocha if adding your mocha drapes in this room) on the dining room chair's seat and even add some padding for extra comfort. You can have a room that feels a bit formal, like your dining room, but still modern and pretty.

Winterberry 3-Light Semi-Flush in Antique Darkwood · More Info
    Nourison Karma Rug, Blue, 5'3"x7'4" · More Info

Stacey Onion thanked Maureen
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maureen, I love that rug! Currently Houzz is out of stock but they are going to notify me when it comes in. I've been living in the space with my office at the far end where we originally put it. I put the dining table back where it was but my hopes are to make this more of a sitting area. I really like seeing the fireplace when the table is gone. I could see a TV over the fireplace and some seating eventually incorporating the little room with the new space. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Closet Factory
    7 years ago

I think adding a desk and custom built-in wall unit in a wood-stained melamine would be a stylish, yet affordable option, and would really look natural in the space - as if it were part of the home's original design. Something like this:

Traditional Home Office · More Info

Here's another example of a wall unit with organizational components intended to maximize the size of the space, not necessarily make it larger:

Home Office · More Info

Or, if you find yourself a little tight on space, why not incorporate flexible elements like a retractable desk? This way you can have a regular home office space, and an extended dining room during the holidays:

Stacey Onion thanked Closet Factory
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

please dont put a tv over that fireplace!

Stacey Onion thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Maureen
    7 years ago

So happy about the rug! All the best.