Need help deciding if I should place a mirror or picture on the wall...
sylv_lucas
Woods wallpaper has made our living space shrink.....this is the reason for the bookshelf covering wall. Not sure if I should place a mirror above the lounge to open space? Suggestions greatly appreciated.
lastplace
If you hang a mirror, what will it be reflecting? If it is something worth seeing yes, if not put up a nice picture.
March 29, 2013 at 8:54PM     
Barnhart Gallery
Here are a couple of options -- Lone Ranger by Graham Forsythe and Plum Forest by Jill Schultz McGannon.
March 29, 2013 at 10:47PM     
sylv_lucas
Thanks so much for your feedback.......the mirror would reflect my hallway with a photo gallery....i was worried it may look a little drab......the pics you have suggested look amazing picking up the linear pattern...I will further investigate......:-)
March 29, 2013 at 11:48PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would avoid a tree or landscape pic as above it competes with the wall covering badly. I think I would go with a large wall grouping with a more decorative mirror ,a couple of abstract pictures and a large over scaled letter from your 1st letter of your last name or 1st & last. See itsy.com for the initials letters. Typography is really big now. And they do all sorts of custom ones up to 2' tall. the grouping would be easy on the budget. For a wall that size a large gilclee print can run $300-$500. on average. What's your budget ?
March 30, 2013 at 1:12AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
A mirror like this won't show much of a reflection but is very decorative. This mirror is from homedecorators.com
March 30, 2013 at 1:16AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Here's a 2' tall letter that can be finished your self from build a cross on itsy.com under $25. including shipping add a couple of 16"x16" or bigger abstracts that coordinate check Wayfair.com for art at fair prices. I'm not trying to sell any company. I just have worked a lot with the companies mentioned for clients and they are all great sources for your wall decor. I have bought from them all myself. I hope I gave you some helpful ideas. You have a really great looking room. I just Love your ottoman/table ! It just adds a nice textural touch to your nature inspired looking room.
March 30, 2013 at 1:19AM     
Barnhart Gallery
I have to say that I usually agree with Kevin RD, but the birch looks a little random to me without a touch or two more across the room -- maybe the TOO rug from Target or birch log candles, and stop at that -- not trying to make it the birch room, just carry a reference over to the other side. And I liked Lone Ranger with your bright accessories.
March 30, 2013 at 2:20PM     
Manon Floreat
The book shelf in front of the wall paper seems to be asserting itself as a feature of the room. I agree with the others who have suggested a canvas above the sofa. I would reconsider the book shelf and let the wall paper do its thing. Below is a mock-up that may be an option for you.

ETA: Artwork by Tracey Kafka via Etsy
March 30, 2013 at 6:55PM     
Barnhart Gallery
I'm taking little houzz breaks while getting the house ready for a crowd tomorrow, and see that in my distraction I forgot to attach this to my last post:
March 30, 2013 at 7:50PM     
mo_mak
Neither!! Just repeat the pattern and inverse colour so as to balance. This makes ur eclectic wallpaper choice really the focus. Matching the theme of "woods" with artwork clashes and competes. Rather, treat your wallpaper as a pattern.........repetitive. Throw cushions pick up the "pattern", however use different textures, silk, ribbed corduroy, shag to add variety. Accentuate with colour of cushions with homeware accessories. Dark furniture and rug even the imbalance of colour weight on wall and create a relaxing ambience with some soft lighting. Stain ur wicker chest and side table. Place chest lengthways this will give your room the perception of being deeper and carries your eye to the print on the back wall. Here is my mock-up. Hope this has been helpful.
April 3, 2013 at 12:11AM     
mo_mak
Thanks for like TDG...... Hello sylv_lucas, On revisiting your dilemena, I notice ur room is very light, perhaps a good day room for relaxing and reading the weekender newspaper........ and have taken into consideration the furnishings you have, and although for perhaps tweeking the sideboard with a white wash, I've endeavoured to create more of a conservatory, feel, somewhere bright to sit on a sunny winter's day. The light colour pallette with soft lighting will give the feeling of a dreamy calm environment. To achieve this use suttle lamp lighting and avoid any stark overhead light. Spotlight dimmers are great as well. Hope my mockups inspire you.......
April 4, 2013 at 6:30AM     
mo_mak
Hello sylv_lucas, how's your investigation going? I have again included a mock up of your room. This thumbnail treats your room more as a living room. Hence probably more practical items such as more storage, a time piece and shelving in the form natural birch. The cylinder hyacinth chest matches your storage chest and wicker in lampbase has suttle references to a the "wood" theme and cushions carry repetative pattern. This may be too overdone for your taste, creating that "birch room" look stated by Barnhart Gallery. Looking forward to hearing of your progress. Lotsa options:)
April 6, 2013 at 11:13PM     
Brianna Johnson
I love your wallpaper! I'm thinking a mixture of large and small framed artwork might be a good way make the room look complete.
Here is an example of something you could do for this wall. You wouldn't have to space the artwork so close together necessarily, and you could even do art that is the same size, like 8x10 or 8x12 pieces and just hang them in a horizontal line.

And here is some photography that might work for your room:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyLittlePlunder
April 6, 2013 at 11:29PM     
I'd like to see all of your room because I think a different furniture arrangement may be the answer.
April 7, 2013 at 5:26AM     
sylv_lucas
WOW......amazing feedback everybody....forgive my late reply but life has thrown a few curve balls my way :)
Mr Barnhart Gallery- I have placed an order for Lone Ranger by John Forsythe. The colours are amazing and truly compliment my colour theme throughout my home. I will be replacing my wall gallery in my hallway with this amazing piece. Thank you so much. I have also researched the birch candles on ebay to replace my ottoman/coffee table centrepiece.
Lastplace- Your statement about what the mirror would reflect created food for thought .When I place a mirror above my lounge, Lone Ranger artwork would be reflected in the hallway.
Kevin Retired Decorator- Your tip regarding homedecorators.com for mirrors has proved more than helpful with many a printed page in hand traversing Australian retailers with a specific look in my mind. Your feedback regarding my natural textural touches made me feel confident I was heading in the right direction, amazing what a small amount of positive feedback can do for the amateur decorator. Grazia :)
Manon Floreat - Your statement in regards to my bookshelf asserting itself as the feature piece made me walk into my lounge and cringe with realisation. 'Let the wallpaper do it's thing' you said.......instead I had placed this monstrosity in front of it. You will be pleased to know the bookshelf has disappeared.
Mo Mak- Thank you for your time, effort and thought placed into my lounge :) You will be pleased to know I poured over your pics and gave serious consideration to flooring, painting furniture and the overall set up of décor pieces.
your statement about artwork clashing and competing with wallpaper resolved my question. I purchased some beautiful throw cushions; celery green ribbed silk,burne orange looped shag and two cushions pertaining to the weft and weave of the lounge. Placing the wicker chest lengthways has created depth to the room as you suggested, also solving my dilemma with the wallpaper closing the space :) I laughed reading your 2nd post when you suggested a relaxing room for reading the weekend newspaper, you certainly picked up on my Sunday ritual. Your third post is my favourite. I certainly lean more toward a lighter colour palette. We have chosen spotlight dimmers and have a beautiful wicker oversized lamp situated on the sideboard (not seen in photograph). I also have a beautiful white lamp table with two light wicker baskets placed in front of wallpaper with a glorious vase of Lillies. Your pic helped me do some great interior design x Lotsa options with lotsa help, thank you once again.
Briana Johnson- Thanks for your pic, I was originally leaning towards this idea.....but for the moment I have a gallery tone in my hallway that I will be changing to some artwork, time to do something a little different but I really appreciated your feedback, may come in handy for the next make over.
Decoenthusiaste- So many ideas and changes taking place. Promise to deliver an updated pic in the next few weeks for some feedback.
Now to take a breath.........thanks each and everyone of you for your amazing feedback. This is the first time I have used Houzz and I am simply blown away by your amazing generosity to help me consider different ideas to create a beautiful room. I will post some pics in the coming weeks to show the progress you have all inspired.....Smiles, Sylvia
April 20, 2013 at 10:18PM     
jhperree
Like mo_mak idea.
Always remember what mirror will reflect, ie: door, person, other art.....

Contrasting colors will add depth as well.
April 20, 2013 at 10:26PM     
Thanks so much for this update. I love the cole and son woods wallpaper. It is so versatile

April 20, 2013 at 10:45PM     
Barnhart Gallery
sylv -- it occurs to me that "sylv" is some form of word root meaning tree -- word "root," ha!

So glad we could offer suggestions that are useful to you, and keep dodging those curveballs. They make the game interesting if nothing else. - (Mrs.) Barnhart :)
April 21, 2013 at 9:44AM     
Need help deciding if I should skim coat NYC apartment walls
I live in a New York City apartment and subway runs...
Help! How should I arrange mirrors and pictures on my walls?
Hi - I am coming to the end of furnishing and shifting...
I need help deciding where I should hang decorations.
Where should I hang them? I've had them for a while...
I need help deciding what color of accent chair I should choose.
Hi: I need to purchase an accent chair, I'm thinking...
How to get more white trim around our windows.
I'm looking to get more white trim around our windows....
Keep or tear down and start over?
BEAUTIFUL 5 Acre LOT w funky house.. In a quandary...
Butcher block VS quartz counter tops in kitchens
My daughter is trying to figure out if she should buy...
Hi houzzers...Classic white kitchen?
Most of our clients love this kitchen but they say...
Office Space
I'm trying to decide what do do with this space. I'd...