Hardware help
meusername
What advice can I get for replacing hardware throughout the entire house? Everything is brass, doorknobs, lighting fixtures, etc. I have a couple of bronze wall art pieces that I will keep, so would having bronze hardware in addition be too much? Do the lighting fixture finishes need to match throughout the house? Can there be a brushed nickel light fixture and oil rubbed bronze doorknobs? Any info is much appreciated!
Creative Garden Spaces
I believe the door knobs throughout the house should be the same whether bronze, brushed nickel or whatever you choose. Have fun with the lighting fixtures...room by room, they can be different. Whatever each room calls out to you.
March 29, 2013 at 9:23PM     
Ironwood Builders
Changing hardware finish in individual rooms is common. Generally we pick a theme for the home and select a "global" hardware finish. The exception proves the rule. In a recent bath room we installed polished nickel fixtures and polished nickel hardware..on the inside of the door...Oil rubbed bronze on the outside of the door to match the "global" theme. In the kitchen, where faucets, knobs and pulls are satin nickel...but lighting is Oil Rubbed Bronze to relate to the dining room fixture in the open floor plan.
March 29, 2013 at 9:32PM     
kimdee24
Don't forget about the hinges. In my last house I decided to change out all the door knobs from brass to brushed nickel. Then I realized the hinges were still brass and it looked weird. Darned near burned out my girlie drill on all those screws...
March 29, 2013 at 9:41PM     
Ed
Similar to Ironwood's recent experience. I picked brushed stainless steel for all the interior door hardware. For the exterior front door, I picked oil rubbed bronze door hardware. The front door obviously has 2 sides, and I could have gone for a brushed stainless steel for the interior lever to match all the other interior door hardware, but I did not like that look -- the same look that Ironwood did for that bathroom door with different interior and exterior hardware. I chose to stick with ORB for both sides of the front door. :)
kimdee has an excellent point about the hinges. I also picked matching ORB hinges for the front door.
MeUserName, I think you can pretty much mix-and-match anything (re: Ironwood's exception that proves the rule), as long as you do it in a nice way. :) Photos, please, of your new hardware ?
March 30, 2013 at 2:23AM     
meusername
Thank you all for your help! It may be awhile before I actually get to this part of updating my house. We are at the ten-year replace everything phase of home ownership. This year, HVAC and plumbing have taken large chunks of our budget. I will show my wall art pieces that I mentioned though!
April 10, 2013 at 6:36AM   
need help with hardware in my kitchen
I have granite that has orange/ brown and bronze tones....
Need help selecting finishes (door hardware/lights) in new house!
We are building a new house, and I am having a hard...
Help with hardware!!!!
This is. Y cabinet. I am having difficulty selecting...
Need help picking cabinet hardware
Built bar in basement with cherry cabinets with briarwood...
Need help decorating my outside patio
Need accent pieces or throw pillows to accentuate this...
Help with organising this space needed!
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here, a relative...
Home needs some life
My wife and i are in the process of purchasing a home...
Old house lovers. . . What would you do with this living room wall?
This is our formal living room. I can't figure out...
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...