Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretoconnor

What are your thoughts on mixing tiles and wood in an open plan ext?

GRETTA
7 years ago
I am building an extension with open plan kitchen dinning and living areas. I would like light wood flooring but would prefer to have tiles in the kitchen area for spills etc. What is the best way to achieve this without taking away from the flow of the new open plan space?
Courtyard House, Pages Lane · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Kirkwood McCarthy
    7 years ago

Hi Gretta, we used tiles to the kitchen area to provide a more wear-resistant finish to this area. The footprint was aligned to the face of the external wall to give a rule or logic to the setout. For you space, perhaps consider doing the same - finding a feature in the layout to align the boundary of tile/floorboards to.

That failing, you could consider just tiling the working zone which is 1-1.2m back from the kitchen cabinets.

GRETTA thanked Kirkwood McCarthy
  • Skye Syx
    7 years ago

Hi, I love the tiles (they look even better when I visited on Openhouse day!), could I ask where they come from please?

• PRO
    MOTTE Bespoke Kitchens and Bedroom Furniture
    7 years ago

have you considered wood effect tiles?

you can get some very good quality ones that work beautifully and if you get underfloor heating done you can probably use it for the whole space or find a tile that compliments a real wood.