Ideas for an Asian-inspired living room in London please :)
xina_1981
Looking for ideas to fill my new living room, currently an empty space after recently moving in. It's quite a big room but with a few awkward features eg. Ugly fireplace, patio doors at back left, window on back wall above fireplace, yellow wood flooring. My thoughts were to go for an Asian inspired theme - dark Grey/taupe corner sofa below window and coming out into middle of room facing fire. Large dark wood shelving unit across entire right wall and large low dark wood square table in middle of room in front of fireplace. Was going to match with a few green accessories eg cushions but unsure what to do with rest of room and whether to get more seating, maybe in green pattern? Thoughts?
xina_1981
I quite like these colours, combined with greens:
March 30, 2013 at 12:23am   
xina_1981
I'm also struggling to work out what to do with the tv. Was thinking on the shelving unit on the right-hand wall. But is that a waste of a massive but of wall?
March 30, 2013 at 12:31am   
starting with the basics: you need a rug to warm up and cover the floor. Also have you tried moving your sofa perpendical to the other? It would allow you to add a sofa table behind it and create a zone between the two rooms (is there space enough to get in).
Second your colour scheme:
I would use a dark warm brown on the walls, which will work with your sofa to bring out the brown and not the grey. Add some gold elements on the walls like this image and then add your dots of green or red

Images could be modern chinese art and then chinese icons: calligraphy brushes hanging on a rack behind the sofa table, chinese barrels as side tables etc etc
Window covering could be matchstick bamboo - but in london who wants to block out any light you can get?
Before going further let me know if this is along the lines you are thinking
March 30, 2013 at 1:10am     
Ed
You have a beautiful wood floor -- if you like rugs, OK, go for it. But in Asia, it's not usual to see a rug covering a nice wood floor --
SOHO Condominium
Beet Residence
Manzanita Drive Addition & Remodel
Warm Modern in Noe Valley-Living Room
March 30, 2013 at 1:31am     
xina_1981
None of the furniture in the picture is in the room anymore so we have a blank canvas. ASV are you suggesting a sofa on both the left and right wall as you look at the picture? That could work. The right wall is where we have the tv right now so would need to think about where that might go.
March 30, 2013 at 2:06am   
Hi Ed - I agree with you about a rug covering for Asia - the thing is that London has quite a damp climate so rugs underfoot are usually required/desired!
March 30, 2013 at 2:07am   
Hi xina, I was suggesting two sofas - almost as they are now: one facing the garden, one facing the fireplace. A sectional in that arrangement would block off easy access to that area...
March 30, 2013 at 2:09am     
abi1234
Maybe try a citrus orange or oak wood accessories. Make the room earthy and natural including plants.
March 30, 2013 at 4:16am   
xina_1981
I think the room does need a big rug. It's quite cold in the house and I'm not massively keen on that shade of wood. Again I'm thinking greys/greens for a rug. So we think two big sofas (yes def enough room) and agree that position is a good way of keeping garden access clear. Any opinions on matching or different coloured sofas? Like the idea of lots of plants.
March 30, 2013 at 4:59am     
dianahb
I like the room (and love the floors), but my biggest suggestion would be t do something with the fireplace to make it more of a presence. Check out the recent discussion on the fireplace makeover where the poster added old doors as a surround, and then painted them. So inspiring, and made such a difference. So I would try to do something along those lines (or built-in shelving around the fireplace?). Such a blank wall, I think you could play that up as more of a focal point.
March 30, 2013 at 5:30am     
If you like the greys and greens, why not go for an olive green wall with some grey, this will work beautifully with your floors, and give you the green you like. It will make it somewhat modern as colours go but I worry that it will be too dark for the light in your room. If not just go for olive and find a wallpaper with some metallics to bring in some light

March 30, 2013 at 8:29am     
A Crew of Two
Choose your rug first and build from there. Normally, I do not like TVs over a fireplace, but in this case I would do it. Paint the wall behind the FP in a bold color to compliment the area rug. Sina Green Multi Rug Ming Jade Paint Mandarin Nesting Tables Worlds Away Asian Side Tables Gold Leaf Nickel PlateSilv The Phillips Collection Six Asian Blocks
March 30, 2013 at 9:01am     
abi1234
Make use of the big space you have by adding mirrors lights to reflect the space. You could include pottery and vases. If you wanted you could add in a colourful or embroided wall hanging.

Hope this helped.
April 1, 2013 at 12:18pm     
xina_1981
We've just ordered the sofas. Gone for a long cream sofa for the right hand wall and a smaller one in "pebble" facing the fireplace. Got some paint samples in light taupe colours which we'll contrast with white borders. Would like to put a white surround on the fireplace but without removing the existing marble as the colours should work well with our scheme. No idea how you add a surround to an existing fireplace though. Diana - do you have the link to the fireplace makeovers? Thanks all. Your ideas have made a big difference already! Will send more pics of progress!
April 1, 2013 at 1:39pm   
dianahb
xina: Here's the link: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/372697/Ugly-fireplace-makeover I thought it was really inspired. I love your space and the colors you're choosing. Maybe this "ugly fireplace makeover" will inspire you, too.
April 1, 2013 at 2:03pm     
xina_1981
Thanks Diana. Will have a look.
April 1, 2013 at 3:30pm   
xina_1981
So this is looking towards the back of the room. The sofa I've ordered for opposite the fireplace is slightly bigger than this one (the length of the tape measure on the floor). Worried it might be too big. What do we think?
April 2, 2013 at 12:20am   
AID Community
hi xina,
the sofa you or ordered (according to the lengh of the tape) is good. the size is okay.
i think your space needs a little bit of art, and some colors, you already have a nice combination between the floor parquet, white furniture and glass table but maybe you would consider changing the colors of the walls. and of course adding some paints to the walls. in my point of view you may need to show more the fireplace maybe with a bigger stand or with a little wallpaper design on the wall behind.
we can offer you a sample of all that.
for more info check this video:
April 2, 2013 at 2:15am   
Need Asian-Inspired Reading Chair
I love the orange reading chair in this Houzz posting:...
Paint colour suggestions for my Asian inspired powder room
I am having a problem deciding what colour to paint...
Asian inspired powder room.
Hi, I need help picking tile for my powder room....
Please help us - looking for living room deco inspirations! :)
My fiancé and I are getting married this fall. My...
Looking for light gray paint recommendations
Help! We're building a house and all of my interior...
Need help with artwork!
Slowly trying to finish my living room. Just got pillows,...
how to camouflage a white gutter in front of house.
We're thinking of painting our Florida home in a few...
Black interior doors
Thinking of painting all my doors black. Currently...
Need Help For Exterior Update!
I have an older home, with a stucco exterior. I would...