Need help choosing a moving company
deborah29
March 30, 2013 in Other
Interviewing moving companies. What must I be sure toask
I would want to know how long they've been in business, are they insured (wouldn't hurt to get a copy of their policy), how difficult/easy it is to file a claim.
March 30, 2013 at 5:22am   
Linda
You need to know what extras will apply to your quote - you will get charged extra for stairs, access issues, parking restrictions etc. Also, is their estimate guaranteed or will it go up or down depending on the actual weight of the load.

Are you doing the packing or having them pack? If you're packing your own boxes, you'll spend less money because they pack everything well - even plastic ware, mismatched glasses etc will get individually wrapped and placed in boxes you will pay for. They will even pack your trash if you aren't watching!

If you are working with a locally owned independent company, you will be talking with the same people who will be doing the work. If you call a chain, you may get moved by an affiliate of that firm who is an independent contractor and uses the company to find work and process paperwork. In that case, you don't know who the crew is or where they will be from. Be careful of moving over July4th week or other popular times as you won't have much say in exactly what day your belongings will arrive, sometimes even if you make arrangements in advance.

Be very careful to pack your valuables and place them in your car. I've heard lots of horror stories about workers rifling dressers for jewelry - those stories are from other people in the moving industry who were there when it happened. Many of the people I know who work as mover's helpers do have criminal records and work on as as needed basis so you don't know who will be working at your house until they show. It's not a universal occurrence, but don't tempt fate
March 30, 2013 at 6:29am     
I really need help. I need home office furniture. We are moving in
2 years or less. I need home office furniture that...
Help needed!! Need decor ideas- moved in house
Recently moved in- ripped out old built in- new floors...
Need help with outdated kitchen prior to moving in. Help!
I was thinking about painting the cabinets White Dove...
Moving into highrise condo, need help with layout
Well, the floor plans and such I'm looking at seem...
Need help on multiple tile designs!!
We are ripping out our carpet in the bedrooms and our...
Wallpaper choice
True-to-life images of a living room. Same floor plan...
Privacy screen for toilet in master bath/bedroom
A 100+ yr. old house has master bedroom and bath in...
Ideas for open stairway carpet in 1930 Colonial/ yellow walls
I'm thinking geometric charcoal and cream??? Colors...
Choosing a wall color
We are purchasing this house and it has beautiful pine...