Sustainable Hardwood Floors
Cindy Bowers
We pan on building a dream home and are searching for the best sustainable floor. We have a large dog and will always have a large dog, maybe two someday. Our research has swayed us to Hickory, or Maple due to hardness. Rosewood and Kempas are also being considered. We have decided on hardwood floor but open to your ideas. No engineered or laminate The goal is to find a floor that is compatible with Macy, our puppy and beautiful for our use. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
missb
If I could our house again...I would do hickory. Our oak floors already needs attention from puppy. Good luck.
March 30, 2013 at 6:28AM     
dianahb
Hickory is hard, as is Brazilian cherry. If money is no object, heart pine flooring is a good hard flooring (not like regular soft pine). I would probably go with something like old heart pine-- if it fits in your budget and environment. We have red oak, and it's survived 3 dogs (not all at the same time) and hasn't been refinished in 20 years-- still looks gorgeous, despite dogs and various renovations. LOVE your dog!!
March 30, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Kivi
Neighbours have hickory floors and a dog... seems to hold up well. We have maple at the cottage which has held up well with a dog. Stick to natural finishes rather than dark stains, so that inevitable scratches wont show up so obviously.
March 30, 2013 at 6:33AM     
zennifer
Thing about a renewable finish like Waterlox, too, so you can repair the inevitable scratches in the finish without refinishing the whole floor.
March 30, 2013 at 6:35AM     
Cindy Bowers
Thank you all! Lots of choices to consider. Truly appreciate your feedback.
March 30, 2013 at 7:35AM   
Jennifer Mullins
When I did my hardwood flooring, I came across fossilized hardwood floors with a Janka rating of over 5000... excellent for hevy use. We ended up going with handwoven bamboo floors and I couldn't have been happier
March 30, 2013 at 7:44AM     
Cindy Bowers
Wow - I did see fossilized bamboo in the stores but didn't find much information on it. Please post your floor once you complete and share your experience. My husband is now wanting to look at Rosewood flooring too. So many choices! My priority is to have a floor that can stand up to my dog (with the plan add another dog in about a year).
March 30, 2013 at 9:08AM   
ruthmand
Please do take a look at stranded bamboo flooring as per Jennifer Mullins' suggestion. We have had ours for about a year now and it has stood up to our very busy Border collie without a scratch.
March 30, 2013 at 9:16AM     
Oak & Broad
Oak or Hickory floors with a good finish should work just fine. Please remember bamboo floors can never be refinished due to being a grass and having a heavy glue/chemical composite. I would really suggest you stick with a solid 3/4" inch floor and make sure your finisher uses 3 coats of poly.
March 30, 2013 at 9:17AM     
Our house was designed by a man, for a man.
Our bathroom is dark, boring and has cheap mirrors...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
Any ideas on renovating to improve this entrance-way??
Low roof line and so close to the ground....what could...