ncgraciemay
This is the kitchen of a great time capsule atomic ranch that i am buying. The kitchen is amazing; counters in great condition and all the appliances still work! I'm keeping everything except the horrific carpet. But what to replace it with? There is too much wood to go with wood flooring. It is a very large area, so it can't be anything too busy. I'm leaning toward vinyl or linoleum tile squares and a retro pattern if i can figure one out, but don't know what colors to use. Anyone have ideas, or an alternative? Budget IS an issue, by the way. And while we're at it, what kind of chairs should i put at that breakfast bar?
bepsf
Congrats on your great find and desire to keep it within the period!

I was going to suggest terrazzo tiles - but if budget is an issue, then cork or asphalt tiles would be perfectly appropriate.

For more ideas, I highly recommend you check out RetroRenovation.com
June 29, 2011 at 4:59PM     
mousemaker
i agree that the carpet is horrific :) do you know what is underneath it? maybe the floor could be refinished? otherwise, i'm sure you can find something that will look nice with the "bradybunchmeetsthejetsons" look :)
have fun!!
June 30, 2011 at 6:49AM     
ncgraciemay
Thanks...unfortunately that carpet is glued down to old tiles, which will certainly not be recoverable.
June 30, 2011 at 7:20AM   
Dirt Digger
There are several companies that make a faux terrazzo floor that is inexpensive....I think the look of terrazzo is the way to go...maybe an off white with dark specks...by the way, I love this area...amazing home!
June 30, 2011 at 7:57AM     
mamayberry
Marmoleum makes linoleum floor tiles in a variety of cool colors - and they're really easy to install (and cheap). I used several colors to make a patchwork "rug" for my dining room...
June 30, 2011 at 8:40AM     
Annie Thornton
I love cement tiles too. I'm not sure if they are as affordable as linoleum, but the patterns and texture is awesome. Although this carpet is pretty ragged, I love the idea of a bold geometric floor pattern. You can definitely get that through these tiles.

June 30, 2011 at 8:47AM     
mousemaker
glued down to old tiles? yuck :) my linoleum was covering tar paper that was bonded to the original wood floor. it's all beautiful now though..
June 30, 2011 at 10:01AM   
mousemaker
i meant to post about the chairs. it depends on what you like and what you need--comfy would be my choice :) maybe wicker? spinning? on wheels or no?
how easy will they be to clean and maintain. maybe you could find some that sort of match the aqua countertop.
June 30, 2011 at 10:03AM   
Andrew Anderson
Linoleum of course....
June 30, 2011 at 10:52AM     
Sheila Schmitz
Great house! Please keep us posted on your progress!
June 30, 2011 at 10:54AM     
Kristin Ubben Kotera
Marmoleum Tiles! FLOR would have some great ideas, carpet or not, the layouts can be retro-inspired.
June 30, 2011 at 11:07AM     
rannoon207
White/grayish granite floors will look awesome. I would also paint the wood panels on the wall light color (light sandy gray).
June 30, 2011 at 11:10AM   
susanwestby
Marmoleum (sheets, tiles, or clickit) or cork if budget allows. Both are very comfortable - a consideration if you cook and stand a lot. Cork is very durable too.
June 30, 2011 at 11:10AM     
Jeff King
I would absolutely go with something from FLOR.com. We've used their product quite a bit in our sixties ranch, and it looks great. Very durable as well. I'm thinking that something from their "housepet" collection would work well. Good luck!
June 30, 2011 at 11:15AM   
Suni_Cook Boucher
i'd go with the retro tile pattern using a creamy white & chocolate, then splash in some of that blue like in the countertops and a little tiny bit of orange. for chairs, i'd look for old school fiberglass chairs in orange or chocolate. just my 2 cents....
June 30, 2011 at 11:18AM     
prymal
How about this? I think the color will tie in the counters and freshen the room with a retro feel. http://tarkettna.com/Default.aspx?tabid=71&sku=14124
June 30, 2011 at 11:19AM     
juco
Marmoleum is great because it's a natural product. Another alternative would be Armstrong VCT tiles, which might be a bit less expensive. They have a large selection of colors, so you could make a really awesome retro design. If I had that awesome aqua countertop, I would definitely incorporate some yellow or orange into the floor. Good luck!
June 30, 2011 at 11:26AM   
Lynn
I'd put in a nice cream colored tile 12x12 size.
June 30, 2011 at 11:36AM   
panamag8or
How about Azrock Cortina Midnight (black) and Spearmint (aqua-ish)? Those are what I have decided to go with in my kitchen, and they would work in yours. I agree with the poster upstream that mentioned retrorenovation.com. There are some great 50's floor patterns there.
June 30, 2011 at 12:23PM   
Sheryl Delorme
Congragulations on your new space. I agree that the carpet should go. I also agree that because the space is so large that you should be careful with too much pattern. I recommend that maybe you use Marmoleum Tiles. They come in a multitude of colours.
Consider using a white tile to create a clean crisp space and incorporate a few tiles in the colour of your countertop. Arrange in a diamond formation. You may also find other accent pcs that you could incorporate into your design. Good luck, and be sure to post some pics once you have completed your project.
June 30, 2011 at 12:45PM     
bizhiki57
The design of these chairs is great, but I'd watch estate sales, garage sales, craigslist and freecycle.
http://www.furniturefashion.com/2008/04/15/norman_cherner_bar_stools.html
June 30, 2011 at 12:53PM     
bizhiki57
Is the house on a slab and therefore the floor is concrete? Here's a how to article and fabulous pictures of painted concrete floor.
http://hubpages.com/hub/paint-concrete-floor
June 30, 2011 at 12:58PM   
crestviewdoors
Personally, I'd vote for Marmoleum tiles. We originally spec'd Marmoleum for our 1950's kitchen renovation but ended up going with bamboo instead, and we really regret it. It scratches and dents easily, stains, and warps when mopped or steamed!

We asked Crestview Doors fans what they thought, and here were their opinions: https://www.facebook.com/crestviewdoors/posts/222656747768184

Best of luck!
June 30, 2011 at 1:02PM     
Tom Borsellino
I was going to suggest Terrazzo as well, but don't think it will go with the style of the cabinets. I have Armstrong VCT tiles in my Eichler, but they need to be waxed. I'd go with a vinyl or marmoleum tile that is no-wax. I second the suggestion to check out RetroRenovation: http://retrorenovation.com/2010/01/22/30patterns-for-vinyl-floor-tiles-from-1955/

Don't go with a black and white checkerboard pattern--you don't want to look like a diner.
June 30, 2011 at 1:19PM     
monireyn
What if... You put tiles . . . Play with the same color . . .as the counter.. Darker turquoise maybe?
June 30, 2011 at 2:44PM   
pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
I actually think that carpet is pretty groovy-looking. However, I could understand a desire to pull it out if (1) it's grody or even suggests grody and (2) if it's really not your style. Best to live with a house a while before you start gutting things... your mind may change over time.
June 30, 2011 at 2:57PM     
ncgraciemay
Thanks for all these great ideas! I am currently looking at samples of Congoleum commercial tile flooring and Armstrong Excelon squares; neutral/speckled as the main color with tiles of aqua and pale yellow. Will have to see how it looks with the cabinets and fireplace before i can decide. Does anyone have experience with either of those brands? I think they're commercial and my worry is whether they would need to be waxed.
June 30, 2011 at 4:02PM     
pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
they need to be polished regularly.
June 30, 2011 at 4:05PM   
pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
key issue re quality (i think) is: thickness of the tile.
June 30, 2011 at 4:06PM   
Tom Borsellino
I have Armstrong Excelon. Love them, but they do need to be stripped and waxed every year or two. However, you can't beat the upfront cost and save enough to pay someone to come in and wax every so often.
June 30, 2011 at 5:53PM   
Ellen Reed
I was going to suggest cork flooring until I saw Pyrmal's answer....that's even better!...smiles.
June 30, 2011 at 7:21PM   
pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
Here's another idea from my blog that may work great for you: http://retrorenovation.com/2009/12/14/mid-century-modern-flooring-from-amtico/
June 30, 2011 at 7:24PM   
mousemaker
note to Idirk...i read your post as "ice cream" :)
July 1, 2011 at 8:42AM   
Shannon Stanbro
Please don't paint the woodwork! That kitchen counter is fantastic.

It's a nasty job, but you can remove the carpet and restore the original floor. There is a citrus based solvent that will remove the carpet glue.

Be sure to determine if asbestos is present in the old flooring/adhesive before you start doing any demo. If it is, you may want to find something you can install directly over the carpet (after a deep clean.)
July 1, 2011 at 12:01PM     
ncgraciemay
I'm not going to paint the woodwork. I know it could have a more cohesive feel if it had more of a uniform color palette, put i'm pretty set on leaving as much original as possible. I'm glad that the former owner whitewashed the ceiling and beams though; i think it would have been just too much wood otherwise.
July 2, 2011 at 3:56AM     
Tom Borsellino
for bar stools I'd go with orange Eames fiberglass chairs from Modernica. I think the wood legs would look great, but with all the wood in the space already, you might want to stick with the metal base.
July 2, 2011 at 1:07PM     
kang_a_ji
I would definitely go with chrome barstools. There are many styles to choose from, but I'd stick to something simple. I would have them upholstered in a fabric to go with your counter top. Something like this mid-century pattern (very affordable): http://www.winterbeachmodern.com/fabricsale/momentum-pomona-salt.html

Good luck! The kitchen looks beautiful and I'd love to see the after shots.
July 3, 2011 at 2:49PM   
Chris
Cherner bar stools would look great maybe in white?
July 14, 2011 at 9:01PM     
rowenmartinez
i'm drooling over the nelson bubble lamp.
July 15, 2011 at 5:41AM   
tykekitty
Keep everything BUT that flooring! Use washed-out aqua and burnt orange for for contrast - here & there. I used wahed-out aqua, light tan and some burnt orange accents to create my Tuscan kitchen - in a mobile home!
July 15, 2011 at 6:43AM   
claireyrose
Have great sympathy for you as I live in a 1954 ranch, very well built. Unfortunately I had a tiny kitchen whose original stainless appliances were finally dying so were replaced when we expanded into the breezeway. Flexitec has a line of vinyl 13.2 foot wide flooring that can float or be adhered and has a few styles that you may like - one slate look and another in an overall speckle that remind me of the 50's in shades of creams/oranges that would look great with you turquoise, running about $3.50 a ft. Read up on marmoleum, I think it takes too much care and babying plus recommended special cleaning products, neighbors have the rolled sheet type with lots of chair impression marks ( they are very easy on their things and it is only 2 years old) Also watch out for cork if you have larger dogs. Good luck.
July 15, 2011 at 11:11AM   
kitchenmaven
VCT would be terrific - I have a 60s ranch and used it in my lower leverl. Dopes need to be waxed every year or two depending on use and wear. There are some solid colors - so don't feel like you need to stick with the pattern tils.
July 15, 2011 at 12:02PM   
kitchenmaven
It would be great to remove the hanging peninsula cabinets over the cooktop. Then use a downdraft cooktop. This would open up the area very well.
July 15, 2011 at 12:04PM   
moskowec
large black and white tile
July 15, 2011 at 12:58PM   
tara design
Marmoleum installed in sheet form rather than tiles is nice - I have a similar space and I have a burnt orange color which looks great against my wood cabinets and similar white painted open beam ceiling. I think you need to contrast with the aqua. More aqua might be too much and could dilute the focus. Or if you wanted a cooler modern feel, get marmoleum in a slate or lighter grey. That would almost look like concrete, but feel softer underfoot. Cork is very nice to feel underfoot also, but most of it comes in a "woodlike" color that would be too much with the existing cabinets. Nice house, great project!
July 16, 2011 at 8:23AM     
judie
Seems that period used the white with flecks of silver/gold which would neutralize for accessories' color preference. I also like the irregular beige tile look also. We have a lake house very similar--good luck with the pink bath room. I have struggled and finally decided to treat it as something I really liked and planned (?).
July 16, 2011 at 1:18PM     
ncgraciemay
Right now i'm leaning toward judi and taradesign's suggestions. Either a neutral fleck or a gray; solid-ish or flecks. It's such a large area (and large investment), i'm really afraid to make the wrong choice! Thank you everyone for all these ideas!
July 16, 2011 at 3:44PM     
Julia Wooters
I grew up in a perfect mid century home built in 1957. Our kitchen was the same turquoise. I would go with a retro vinyl tile in grey, beige and turquoise. Cork is a nice choice too but the tile more interesting in this space.
July 17, 2011 at 4:48AM     
Christine Hilton
I am soooo envious.Please keep posting your progress,this is such a fun one.Just a heads up I had cork lift on one clients floor and another dent from high heels.I don't advise using it.Marmoleom.
July 17, 2011 at 6:34AM   
Dressing the Home
I would go with a black and cream checkerboard floor and chrome bar stools with vinyl seats (color on vinyl should coordinate with the upholstery fabric you select for the family room adjacent - You might want to pull in red). Depending on your budget, you can go with anything from peel and stick vinyl to porcelain tile.
July 17, 2011 at 7:13AM     
lesliemunson
The carpet is ghastly but your kitchen is to die for. Wonderful find.
July 17, 2011 at 8:16AM   
katmeowrine
I grew up in a house similar to the one you bought, but mine was in California. The roof line was the same, except the left of my house was the garage with a breezeway in between. The back of the house was all glass with the top of it looking similar to the ones above the brick wall.

We had a low breakfast bar and had short stools under neath. Our kitchen had yellow counters and avocado green appliances. My parents bought the house in 1968 and we were the 2nd or 3rd owner.
July 17, 2011 at 8:17AM   
marisaj
We've installed white terrazzo tiles in a classic 1955 house, with similar paneling as yours. It looks rich and beautiful, is also very durable. More cost up front, for sure.

On the paneling, I would refinish it with a less glossy final coat of sealant. Matte finish would look much nicer, and not so fake plastic-y.
July 17, 2011 at 8:29AM   
swillsdc
There's something shaggadelically-fantastic about the turquoise countertop--I might suggest trying to keep it as a focal point and switch out the rest, or create a monochromatic backdrop that laser-locks onto the turquoise (that is, if you actually like that color). That's a real Nelson hanging lamp, isn't it? A gem. You landed on a treasure. Enjoy!
July 17, 2011 at 9:13AM     
lauren90211
Wonderful home! Just remember not to be so literal when it comes to respecting the past. If you do, you run the risk of your home looking and feeling too kitschy and not your own. Good luck.
July 17, 2011 at 10:33AM     
Amanda Alligood
I am in LOVE with this property, congrats!! I think a gray cork would look really great and it would add a little 'modern' touch. These bar stools would look awesome....
July 17, 2011 at 12:08PM     
cdcbren
I agree with sunflower creations on the barstool. They are my all time favorites and transition nicely from one era to another. I also like the idea of adding some orange or lime green with that turquoise. Maybe stool cushions?
July 17, 2011 at 5:00PM   
cal52
My in-laws 1958 custom home has cork floors, pickled cypress panelling and an aqua and pink kitchen.
July 17, 2011 at 7:12PM   
Jennifer Fisher
Get rid of the counter, especially the table at the end. Update it with a Corian in white because it won't stain and it's timeless. The floor should be a neutral tile not in a normal 12 x 12 size... subway tiles perhaps, but larger like 16 x 8.
July 20, 2011 at 4:34PM   
ncgraciemay
I must say that it has been very interesting to read so many diverse opinions here. I appreciate everyone who took the time to comment.
July 20, 2011 at 5:45PM     
midcenturyreno
We're in the same mid-century dilemma with some stuff just being worn out and needing replacing (like the kitchen and main bath!). We're trying to respect the original architecture but there are some things that just need to be this century (like bringing in more light) and it is hard to conserve the original pieces. Note that some of your tiles may contain asbestos as was common then. We used oak strip flooring in our kitchen since it matches the rest of the house. see before and after. BTW the lighting in your kitchen is cool
July 23, 2011 at 6:35PM     
Ken Wheeler
I actually like the carpet. I'd keep everything original. It truly is an image caught in time. Any additional furniture, fixtures, etc would have to be vintage originals.
July 24, 2011 at 9:05PM   
mousemaker
midcenturyreno--that's absolutely true about the asbestos. i should have posted that because our old linoleum contained asbestos, as well as a bunch of other things :)
July 25, 2011 at 6:50AM   
Deanna
I wouldn't change a thing!!! This house rocks! Just add eclectic details. What a blast!
July 26, 2011 at 7:57PM   
Tom Borsellino
The asbestos is often found in the glue holding down the tiles even more than the tiles themselves. The last thing you want to do is sand the glue down before getting it tested.
July 26, 2011 at 10:46PM     
hazardglrl
Gorgeous house, have you done anything yet? I love the countertops, and the modern jetson curve....and I love your idea for the floor with different colored square tiles...I wouldnt get stone tiles...would look like a lowes misadventure...like your idea of not painting the wood and keeping things as orginal as possible..and I love midcenturyreno's kitchen and those barstools are an idea for your kitchen as well maybe.
January 7, 2012 at 8:08AM   
Ann Allen
We just installed sheet Marmoleum in "Eiger" (gray) and I love it. It's timeless--modern and retro. There are a bunch of great colors, but I think with that fabulous turquoise countertop, you wouldn't want to compete too much. Maybe a tone similar to the wood cabinets?
January 24, 2012 at 9:55AM     
deeniekov
Check into the new (this year) vinyl that goes in like laminate. Lengths for wood look; rectangle size for ceramic look. Soft on the feet, won't leak water in between cracks; basically guaranteed for life. I just put it in my foyer and laundry room and love it. Seems to have the name: [ Invincible. ] Luxury Vinyl Tile Collection. Good luck
January 28, 2012 at 7:55AM   
creekgirl
What a great kitchen counter! I agree the flooring must go. Also the kitchen cabinet hardware, the ceiling fan and that other pendant light (not the oval one.) Going through flooring ideas for a mid-century house myself, I'm leaning towards a seamless epoxy or vinyl sheet flooring. You might think about it too. Though vinyl tile might be period accurate, you have a lot going on there design-wise already in the brick pattern fireplace, the show-stopper kitchen counter. To make sure your decorating doesn't get too busy and to maintain a simple modern effect, I'd make the flooring as visually discreet as possible.........like seamless epoxy or vinyl.

Best of luck and congratulations on your fabulous new house!

creekgirl
March 11, 2012 at 5:35PM   
creekgirl
.......one more thing.......my mid-century has a couple of cork walls that have severely faded, even away from direct sun. Unless a protective finish has been devised for cork flooring, I would never consider it.
March 11, 2012 at 6:01PM   
itgirl
I love your kitchen and I do like the carpet too, although its hard to keep carpet in a kitchen. My advice would be to live in it for a while before you tear anything out. I have a time capsule ranch too, and I shudder to think of all of the beautiful things we were going to tear out before we moved in. Your house is beautiful. Whatever you do, take good care of those counter tops. It would be difficult to replace those
March 15, 2012 at 11:15AM   
jmle
i used the individual inexpensive VCT vinyl tiles from Armstrong. The bulk of them are a party muticolored tile with some aqua tile and orange tile interspersed..Looks very retro in my small kitchen.
April 4, 2012 at 5:57AM   
ncgraciemay
jmie (and anyone else who used VCT vinyl tiles) - how burdensome is the maintenance? My understanding is that it has to be waxed/stripped/buffed periodically. Since i have a large area to deal with, that seems a little worrisome.
April 4, 2012 at 7:35AM   
jmle
I have had mine about 6 months and so far I just wipe it up every other week. After it is down for about a year I am looking forward to having it waxed and buffed professionally as I want that shiny hospital look. My is a small galley kitchen and I
am told it will cost about $100.
April 4, 2012 at 11:08AM     
lilyroses
Wonderful room. I can sympathize. Have recently been pondering the flooring for the kitchen in a 1950s ranch and have found a choice you might like. Our old floor was a happy mulit-color speckle with a warm background. Finally lucked on to Mannington VCT Colorpoint - we chose "peanut 627" which is very similar to our old floor. The background is a warm neutral which blends with the older cabinets and is flected with serveral colors - so we can still keep the countertops in a 1950s medium green linen-look laminate. Mannington's Colorpoint has several nice background colors with interesting terrazzo-look speckles, grays, a yellow, whites... BTW we have found VCT is pretty easy care and may go several years before it needs polishing besides if a tile gets damaged you can swap it out. Lots of luck. Here's the link to Colorpoint. http://www.mannington.com/commercial/Colorway.aspx?id=2041
May 12, 2012 at 1:47PM     
jmle
I just redid my 1952 kitchen. I used the VCT -vinyl composition tiles- in 3 colors.....a multii speck, an aqua and an orange. I love them, I wipe them up every other week. Check out the website, retrorenovation.com, it has lots of vintage ideas.
May 12, 2012 at 5:31PM     
jarmmy
Here's a great site to purchase black and white continuous vinyl checkered floor.

Looks cool in retro kitchens!

www.checkeredfloor.com

They have it in small width size and large width size for small or large projects. Like kitchens & garages for the large size width and bathroom, laundry or car trailers for the small width. Only takes about a week to get.
June 28, 2012 at 1:32PM   
Marci Stone
Where are these time capsule houses??? I'm a Realtor in Va, DC and Md and I have never seen one of these! I see them on retro renovation all the time. I mean, I see original finishings in houses built in the 40's and 50's but nothing from Atomic era.
November 6, 2012 at 6:53PM     
ncgraciemay
This one is the only one in my small town in Western NC, in a neighborhood of traditional early-century homes. It was lived in by the couple that built it for 30+ years, changed hands once before we bought it, and miraculously, neither of the previous owners ever changed anything of substance! According to the realtor, everyone he showed the house to prior to us was discouraged by "all the renovation" they'd have to do. So I can see why time capsules are rare. Naturally, I walked into the house and said "OMG, it's PERFECT!"
November 7, 2012 at 5:39AM     
Sharon Lewis
If you want to keep the integrity of the house...linoleum in white or cream. Keep us updated. Love it.
December 28, 2012 at 7:48PM     
Ginny Bryan
Hi, can you post some pictures on your update of this great house? I was wondering what you did for flooring? It seems something muted and soothing would be a good addition with all of the vertical lines in the paneling and the rectangles on the fireplace. You would need a place for your eyes to rest. I found this out the hard way. I have been living with my husband's 1980 paneling in the den (UGH) and in trying to update the only thing that worked was a neutral solid carpet. It did turn out great.
February 3, 2013 at 7:34AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
OMG! I love that kitchen. Linoleum would be the period correct choice.
February 3, 2013 at 7:41AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
Linoleum is also a green product and does not off gas anything.
February 3, 2013 at 7:42AM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
I have a cork floor that is called "Ivory White". It is an off-white with hints of lilac and baby blue. It's being sold for $2.49/sf. It can be sealed with water based polyurethane against leaks in a kitchen. It only needs to be "refreshed" with a single coat of same every 5-7 years.

A floating cork floor can go down over the tiles that are under that carpet. Goes together like a laminate (Uniclic flooring). Super easy to work with. Can keep the cost of flooring reasonable AND keep with the age/theme of this home.
February 3, 2013 at 1:37PM     
JP Warren Interiors
With everyone on the cork suggestion!
February 3, 2013 at 1:57PM   
Interiors International, Inc.
Cork is another product that is both of the period and green. So I too would agree that it would be a good choice.
February 3, 2013 at 4:42PM     
drememon
Love this house! Can't wait to see your final selections.
My first choice would be marmoleum click planks, second, a floating cork floor. Both easy on the eye and feet, lots of colors, true to the era, reasonably priced.
February 3, 2013 at 5:17PM     
Hrivnak Associates, Ltd.
Funky can be wonderful
February 3, 2013 at 7:06PM   
jarmmy
Yep! www.checkeredfloor.com
February 7, 2013 at 9:12AM   
davidfigliuzzi
Cork!
February 7, 2013 at 7:01PM   
patinthehat
oh WOW. i have Kitchen Envy....baaad. would LOVE to see photos of the finished product. Your house is so fun!
February 7, 2013 at 7:19PM     
sfsurfdude
Im so Sure.... If you are not jokeing and Im sure your not... That is one cool looking place, I live in Los Angeles and although I bought my place as a foreclosure and it was a fifties house it doesnt come close to how awesome your place looks... I would keep it the way it looks myself if possible except that "lovely" carpet... If you should accidently end up on an LSD trip I can assure you not looking down would be advisable. Berber? Light colored? Just dont do a black and white checkered 50's Diner floor, you will go insane trying to keep it clean and it would resemble the carpet you have already.
The ext thing is WHERE in the heck is this house? Then I ask why did I not get so lucky...
Be advised... With a home of that age and depending one the quality of the prior plumbing and elec projects done (roofing, sewer) expect some surprises and frustrations. personally I have a pocket full but at least no house payment or mortgage.
February 7, 2013 at 7:36PM   
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-molded-plastic-dowel-leg-armchair-daw.do?sortby=ourPicks#.URR0SqV2zeM would be AWESOME in this space for chairs, reflecting the smooth retro lines...

There are so many retro marmoleum flooring possible in the robins egg blue family. A talented floor layer could echo some of the curves using sheet goods and two tone. Don't do B & W diner look. Will be too strong for this installation. Needs more organic feel. Cork would also be attractive.

If you go with commercial Armstrong floor, will wear forever. Not sure about waxing.. google process. I have had clients use a commercial cleaner service once a year to really tackle the floor & not been such a big deal for stripping etc. It doesn't have to be done often so that can be a solution

work on lighting especially under the upper if not there already.

A retro mosaic tile with the aqua, tan, whites, yellows.. would look fab & transform the feeling.

Also, paint out the vertical supports holding the upper peninsula cabs to ceiling.. if they are white, will blend more with the ceiling & disappear.

Fabulous kitchen... have fun with this!

Senior Designer~Urbana
February 7, 2013 at 7:54PM   
janowins
What a fabulous room!! And the light fitting, yum!! Please no cork on the floor. Get a gorgeous Lino or Marmoleum and chrome stools.
February 8, 2013 at 4:59AM     
rinqreation
How are things getting along now? I'm also curious to see it finished! I'd choose a safe sheet linoleum in light terazzo or checkerboard in beige/sage/grey if I wouldn't bump into anything marvelous (which I guess I would). For the reason you've mentioned: large investment. Can always add color later, right? What have you decided/done? Note: have you seen Armstrong's 88730 Ocean Green?
February 8, 2013 at 5:22AM     
panzyzz
Have you been to http://retrorenovation.com/ ? LOTs of ideas on flooring & colors for all budgets. Thank you for appreciating the time period this house was built in and not trying to make it into something its not! Let us know how it works out.
March 2, 2013 at 9:16PM     
1956ranch
I put whitewashed bamboo on the floors of my kitchen. A similar look for cabinets would lighten up this kitchen. I'm sanding mine down and painting, doing very fine sanding between each coat and using a satin floor finish for the final coat - gives it great durability and a wonderful - but not too shiny - sheen.
June 27, 2013 at 2:49PM   
juniperjo
Hi, did you ever decide on flooring for your kitchen? If it's not too late, PLEASE don't do vinyl; yes, there are still lots of important uses for petroleum, but in my opinion vinyl flooring tiles are NOT ONE OF THEM. Cork would look great, but Marmoleum would really sing. Wish I could remember where I just saw an *awesome* Marmoleum floor; I think it was in Atomic Ranch -- do you know that magazine? (If not, you should get acquainted with it -- very valuable resource for us mid-century modern homeowners!)
June 27, 2013 at 3:19PM   
juniperjo
Just checked out their website, and yes, I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it. Unfortunately it's not available on line -- you'd have to go to a bookstore to look at the article, or buy the issue online. This is a page from the article (but it doesn't show the kitchen): http://www.atomic-ranch.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=63
June 27, 2013 at 3:25PM   
solraven
ncgraciemay, what did you decide on? I absolutely LOVE your kitchen and I agree, you really lucked out with the previous owners keeping everything original. Please update all of your new followers! :)
June 27, 2013 at 3:48PM   
Amy Stanley
This house is awesome! I would change the frig out to stainless the black stands out in that gorgeous kitchen! If you can't afford to remove it and it's in good shape you could always work with the carpet by using retro furniture!
June 27, 2013 at 4:15PM   
fancythat
Polished concrete or vinyl
June 27, 2013 at 4:40PM   
ncgraciemay
Update: I know this is going to be disappointing, but.... we have not changed a whole lot! We spent most of our budget on the big-ticket items, like replacing the crumbling deck and painting inside and out. I've grown used to and even fond of the carpet.. I have vintage folding chairs instead of cool new bar stools. My old kitchen table is totally out of place here. But this house is amazing to live in! The openness, the classic lines, the light, the fact that i see something i love everywhere i look - I feel lucky as hell just to be here. Also, we've tamed the walled, wild jungle in the back, and now have a riotous (if amateurish) edible landscape to play with. It's a balance to the modern design everywhere else, But I am saving this thread forever, so I can take advantage of all these great suggestions someday! Thanks to everyone. Oh look, I just noticed the "thank you" buttons! :P
June 27, 2013 at 5:28PM     
juniperjo
Thanks for the update, and I think you made the right decision -- spend your budget on big-ticket items, live with the house and figure out what you can live with and what you just CAN'T, and then knock off those items one at a time over the years!

Edible landscape, yum! :)
June 27, 2013 at 5:59PM     
solraven
Thanks for the update! I love how much you are in love with your home. That home deserves to have you as its owner. I just love it and wish I could see more! It looks very much like an Eichler or Cliff May. Do you know who the architect was?
June 27, 2013 at 9:08PM     
hparks74
Orange Eames chair or a wire mesh chair in silver.
June 27, 2013 at 9:16PM   
lara_jane
I love this update! I hope you continue to love and cherish your amazing home!
June 28, 2013 at 6:36AM     
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
Check out this amazing linoleum flooring artist (and other types of floors) - after seeing her work, I'll never think the same way about linoleum! You can stay true to your atomic ranch and give it a twist! http://www.houzz.com/pro/lauriecrogan/crogan-inlay-floors http://inlayfloors.com/WORKS/GRAPHIC/1/
:) Rhoda
July 8, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Groovywares.com
What a wonderful find! Play off all that warm wood and add dimension with a cold hard groovy metal sculpture from the 1960's. Lots of vintage handmade metal sculptures can be found at groovywares.com
July 11, 2013 at 2:27PM   
Brenda
ncgraciemay -- you've been in your atomic ranch for 2 years now -- any photos you care to share?
July 11, 2013 at 2:43PM   
sharesheepbeast
Honestly, Yes. I have fallen in love with your house too! We want to see! You had me at your exterior color picks! What a home! And what wonderful Houzz posters!
August 5, 2013 at 6:20AM   
Your house is mid century modern. Bar stools should be retro. Go on line. Google homes 1950 s see what comes up.
August 5, 2013 at 6:26AM   
cathieg
What a fantastic find! These chairs are a bit pricey but would look fantastic.

August 5, 2013 at 7:52AM     
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Great house! For more ideas, I highly recommend you check out www.OTM1Designs.com
August 5, 2013 at 11:54AM   
Sherman & Gosweiler Inc.,
WOW!! I love this kitchen!! I lost count of how many people said "cork" for the floor but I think that would really work, esp. if the price of good quality tile is not in your budget. I like the blue on blue circle pattern in linoleum suggested above too, (and let's face it, linoleum would be so "right" for the room!).

The chairs should definitely be "modern". The examples of woven stainless steel and the Jacobsen chairs above are bothgreat, The steel would be a perfect counterpoint to the blue counters. It will be well worth it to push your budget for something special.

You can see by the huge response that this kichen touches a nerve with a lot of people, I'm guessing that most of them grew up in or are children of children of the 50's and 60's. Have fun with this delightful room!
August 5, 2013 at 3:01PM   
Cork is cheap and holds up.
August 5, 2013 at 3:27PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Inlaid floors are possible for a DIY project, if you are pretty handy with a utility or linoleum knife and you go simple, and big curves or straight lines (how about ripple effect overlapping circles?) There are some pretty cool paint treatments too if the old floor underneath is in decent shape--or cover with 1/4 plywood underlay and paint and stencil or freehand, or go Jackson Pollack abstract expressionist (practice first and mask well).

Often the rugs were just a border of black with perhaps a thin accent line and an interior pattern or all-over marbleized pattern.

Here are some images of retro linoleum "rugs" I've seen some pretty great looks with multiple colors of the lino tiles and planks--I think the key to keep it from becoming too diner is to keep the contrast low--like speckled dark grey with marble black, or white, grey and butter yellow or light aqua.

Here are some links with budget floor ideas:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-floors-painted-stenciled-a-144119

Modello stencils have some of the most amazing concrete and floor stencils ever, including a Mod circle design with patterns inside and stenciled cork flooring https://www.modellodesigns.com/editor/files2/7795/Operation%20Decoration%20Spring%2008.pdf http://www.modellodesigns.com/general.asp?idno=140581
http://www.oldhouseonline.com/how-to-inlay-linoleum-floors/

And some period renderings of linoleum rugs and an IKEA cart that might work for you.
August 19, 2013 at 9:00PM   
ljwoodburn
I can totally see these vintage barstools at the counter but the color is probably too aqua...looks like the counter is actually light mint green? Anyway, these are totally Jetson looking barstools and your kitchen needs them! I found them on onekingslane.com today in their vintage section. If you haven't looked at onekingslane it can be great inspiration for ideas with lots of vintage items to browse even if you don't purchase. I also like the metal wire barstools posted by someone else, especially if want to mix more current modern looks with your time capsule. That could be a nice mix.
August 26, 2013 at 6:49PM     
Diane Paparo Associates
Start with getting rid of the black refrigerator. Flooring options should be clean and neutral.... Try a white glassos tile or a linen strie porcelain tile.
August 26, 2013 at 7:21PM     
ljwoodburn
Yes, the black refrigerator needs to go. It's like something brought back from the future in your time capsule! I know not easy, refrigerators are expensive.
August 27, 2013 at 8:27AM     
Paint, what colour do we choose!?
We need some serious help! Neither of us have any design...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Privacy from neighbor deck
This is a pic of the backdoor steps. The first thing...
Patio Privacy: I need help finding a solution
Last year I added a stone patio. The only problem I...