Timber Frame dilemma: We need to know the best size for our new Timber Frame Great Room.
disummers
March 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are adding a new Great Room on to our existing house. We had originally thought that it should be 20x28', but it doesn't seem big enough when we mark it out in the yard. We also want that vaulted, timbered ceiling. Any suggestions on what size is good? What sizes are the ones I see in magazines? Thank you!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
I see that you asked at least one pro on Houzz about the size of a great room they have in their portfolio. I think that is your best shot for getting ideas as to how large the room could/should be. Just keep hitting that "Ask a question" button, and try to give the pros about a week to answer. Ask more than one about their room design to improve your chances on getting responses. Remember, too, that many of the pros on Houzz have direct contact information on their profile page. If all else fails, maybe email them and send a link to the photo in question.

With a tall, beautiful ceiling the 20x28 might feel much bigger.
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 1:42PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
20 x 28 is plenty big. Do you understand the cost of a lot of upholstered goods and casegoods in a room that size with a rug, window treatments, lighting?
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 1:44PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
disummers, this room is 20X28, timber framed with vaulted ceilings from a 10' plate height. So 20' from tree trunk to tree trunk, 28" from front door to sliders on the right. Fish eye lens to get it all in one photo.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 2:31PM
disummers
Thanks so much everyone. You're right, with the high ceiling it will seem bigger. And yes, we are prepared to undergo the expense of timber frame and the furnishings. We have an architect working on it now. We will soon be Empty Nesters and want a beautiful room for all our kids and grand kids to come home to. We don't want to regret having enough room. Thanks for the picture...that room looks huge! Love the tree trunks in it! Thank you everyone so much for your help and advice! It's greatly appreciated.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 4:20PM