3-Season Porch Wall
cashma1
This is a panoramic view (wall is really straight) of a house-side porch wall, in New England. Floor will be a brown colored oak, engineered hardwood, laid perpendicular to the ceiling. We are thinking of painting the wall light beige or green. What else can be done with this wall space to give in more appropriate interest or "personality"? cashma@me.com
OnePlan
What do you intend you use the area for ultimately ?!?
March 31, 2013 at 4:35am   
cashma1
Entertaining family and friends. Wicker furniture - couch, chairs, glass topped table
March 31, 2013 at 4:41am   
CDR Design
Hi, you have lots of potential here and the ceiling is beautiful. I think the choice of dark for the floor is excellent. For the wall color, since the ceiling is already busy, I would recommend that you choose a lighter shade that is already in the ceiling wood. You want the room to feel airy, not choppy.

For the wall, you want to accentuate the architectural detail at of the roof line. Since you are in New England, I would recommend a fireplace. There are numerous "plug-in" fireplaces which require no exhaust.

What will be important is to add detail around the firplace, extending vertically to the ceiling....perhaps slimstone (artificial rock).
March 31, 2013 at 4:45am   
cashma1
Dining room is on other side of slider. Kitchen is on other side of window
March 31, 2013 at 4:46am     
CDR Design
Contemporary Family Room by New York Architect Felhandler/ Steeneken Contemporary Family Room by New York Architect Felhandler/ Steeneken [houzz=
]
March 31, 2013 at 4:48am   
cashma1
Agreed re faux fire place - have purchased one - was also thinking of faux chimney, but not sure about my skill
in erecting it.
March 31, 2013 at 4:52am     
OnePlan
cool ! I like the fireplace idea !! I'm sure it will all come together beautifully ! be a real asset to your home !
March 31, 2013 at 8:39am   
CDR Design
I do see 2 issues, if your fireplace as drawn is to scale. First, the fireplace looks to short for the space. Second, the window looks small and lost.

Solution: raise your fireplace surround as in the above photo. See how they made the fireplace look larger by increasing the height of the fireplace area? You could raise the bottom section up a little. Also you could increase your fireplace horizontally by placing brick to the right of your fireplace, but under the window. Hence, the entire brick area would form a capital L. See what I mean?
March 31, 2013 at 4:12pm   
MOONES Home LLC
Hi there! A large fireplace with reclaimed wood top/mantel and a concrete face would look stunning! You should take advantage of the space below the window to add a storage space for wood and arrange logs in an organized way. The concrete or brick finish for the body of the fireplace would be nice. Dark floors, warm color for the fireplace wall- a thick jute rug for the seating area in front of fireplace. Bold print, soft and plush pillows for seating area.
March 31, 2013 at 4:28pm   
CDR Design
I believe there is no flu....this will be a plug-in? You still could place a inset under the window...it could be a book shelf or a shelf to dispaly decor/folded blankets.

You may want to browze ideas for what you might like for offset fireplaces. The fireplace you chose seems a little formal and traditional for the space. There are so many out there now that would make a bigger statement than what you chose. But, in the end, it is something you have to be comfortable with.
http://www.houzz.com/off-center-fireplaces/p/24
March 31, 2013 at 5:24pm   
cashma1
Yes, it is a plug-in fireplace/TV stand
April 1, 2013 at 9:25am   
Strange shape bathroom decoration with Porcelanosa tiles
I have a dilemma with the following shape bathroom....
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
How to salvage something from this bedroom on a budget?
OK - so first off I know how awful this bedroom looks,...
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...