Thoughts about wood floor in kitchen?
aeb2005
Hi folks,

We are considering putting wood flooring in our kitchen, but I'm concerned about the upkeep and the water issues. it looks nice, and would be super convenient, but is it practical? Anyone out there have wood flooring in their kitchen?

We are considering this for three reasons. One, we over-ordered and have plenty. Two, the hallway runs alongside the kitchen and is wood, but the line where the kitchen tile meets the wood would be on a diagonal in the corner and open on two other sides to the wood floor. i'm just worried that it will look strange. Three, our kitchen is on the smaller side for our neighborhood (10x11 roughly), and I think the continuous flooring may help the place flow nicely and look bigger.

Thoughts? I'm not willing to sacrifice function for design here, so if you've had any issues with wood floors in the kitchen, please let me know.
No issues at all. The wood floors in our kitchen are 90 years old and still going strong, last refinished 20 years ago.
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:19AM
orangecamera
You may want to take a look at this thread, which is ongoing. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/412888/Small-Kitchen-Question
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:19AM
aeb2005
Thanks! Our floors are quarter sawn oak, not engineered wood. Don't know if that make s a difference.
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:27AM
Quarter sawn oak is one of the most durable woods for flooring, and one of the best choices for a kitchen because of that. But be sure to have them finished and polyurethaned on site because that way the polyurethane gets into the cracks as well, sealing them against spills (unlike with prefinished wood, where the cracks between the boards are left unsealed and thus vulnerable to water from spills seeping through).
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:34AM
aeb2005
Thanks feeny! do you need to reseal them every so often?
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:47AM
olldcan
Our oak floor was installed and finished (3 coats) on site, 14 years ago. We had the living room, dining room and kitchen done, no transitions. 14 years, 3 boys, 3 dogs later, I anticipate we will refinish in the next 3-5 years.
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 6:57AM
no water issues with wood flooring at all, it's softer on your feet and looks great especially with open concept designs where the kitchen is opened to the main seating area.
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 7:00AM
susiequsie10860
We just redid out kitchen about 18 months ago. When with wood (engineered I think) and so far haven't looked back at all. I love everything about my kitchen but love out floor choice just about the most. I looks spectacular (we went with dark, distressed appearance.) So easy to keep clean. Can you tell I love it?
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 7:01AM
brandeearyn
I have oak floors in my kitchen that were finished on site and love them. The only thing to consider is putting tile under your refrigerator. I was out of town for a few days when my neighborhood lost power. My freezer defrosted and drained, and the standing water made the wood warp in that area.
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 7:12AM
What are your thoughts about wood floors with cabinets stained the same color?
We are renovating the kitchen in our traditional 2-story...
daytonkitchen
Need thoughts about the tile that looks like wood.
Do you think it looks close but not enough to pass...
ericabruno
What are your thoughts about satillo tile? Kitchen ideas?
We live in Iowa and would have to ship the satillo...
osborneco
Thoughts on wood furniture with wood flooring?
Trying to decide on flooring for our bedroom, leaning...
Leanne James
What kind of rug is this?
I'm obsessed with this rug. Can anyone identify the...
gigi4321
Needing help picking out wall color
Hi everyone! What color walls would you use that can...
spring920
Help on loft play/game room
Hello, i wonder if anyone can help give me some ideas...
mbakris
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
Dining Bay Area
Hello! So I am trying to add some life into this part...
palintah01