Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adso25

Chinese drywall renovation

Atalie
11 years ago
My husband and I purchased this home (fully furnished!) in 2010 only to learn that it was built with Chinese drywall. That explained why the owners left even their most personal effects behind! Many tears, frustrations, and one class action lawsuit later, we have our dream home!

Comments (29)

• Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This was the before
  • Architectrunnerguy
    11 years ago
    Wow. Looks great! Did the former owners actually leave with the fireplace burning?
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's hilarious! No, but they did leave everything else!
  • carole
    11 years ago
    it is a beautifull now,hope you forget about the frustrations soon and enjoy your lovely house
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much
  • gotbraces
    11 years ago
    Love it! Side comment, noticed the kitchen table in the pic and would love to see a bit more. Looks like it flows very well with the living room.
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! It is one open space.
  • shelby1175
    11 years ago
    whats the problem with chinese drywall?
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Chinese drywall was "...manufactured in China and imported to the United States starting in 2001. Laboratory tests of samples for volatile chemicals have identified emissions of the sulfurous gases carbon disulfide, carbonyl sulfide, and hydrogen sulfide..." It causes corrosion of copper electrical wiring and any metal in the home. The smell is terrible and there have been some reports of illness related to the toxic gases.
  • shelby1175
    11 years ago
    wow, well i guess it is the elephant in the room. I know when I did my reno I insisted that the drywall be from a local supplier, re made in Canada.
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Smart! The guy who had the house built actually is over the Boeing Dreamliner project- we can see how that's going... My husband and I even had the house inspected for Chinese drywall before we purchased it and they failed to detect it because the seller had the AC coils dipped to hide the corrosion!
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Before and after... The before is the pic with the wagon wheels. We made the "bunk"/hanging beds ourselves.
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Better angle
  • PRO
    Christopher James Interiors
    11 years ago
    Love the bunk beds!
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Atalie, may I ask how much was the dining table ?
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We purchased the table from Restoration Hardware- it is the reclaimed wood trestle (extension) table.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Funny, or not so funny, thing about the drywall is that it was sold by a German company called Knauf but they outsourced the production to China, guess we are not the only ones that outsource, oops.
  • janerochester
    11 years ago
    all your living room furniture is from Restoration Hardware??? we just discovered this store last week while hunting for furniture for our new home.. and fell in love with the dining room furniture instantly... but did not like their living room collections though..ur home is very well put together.. loved the fire place.. my kind of furniture..
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes- it just all fit the look we wanted. All of the colors and pieces match so you can't go wrong.
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    11 years ago
    Your home looks beautiful! All your hard work and patience paid off. LOVE the stone choice for the fireplace!
  • PRO
    Christopher James Interiors
    11 years ago
    Wow! What a beautiful transformation! Love the neutral palette and the stone you selected...great job!
  • danielchen
    11 years ago
    i like the wall color, the name of the paint color?
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Martin Senour paint in Sealskin!
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some updated photos
  • grammielinda
    11 years ago
    Your home is fabulous, I am so happy for you! I plan on putting some before and after pics up soon. We have just completed a major whole house remodel. I too have a RH dining table made from reclaimed wood (not the same one, but similar). Did you treat yours with anything. I called customer service and they were pretty vague about what I should use to protect the table???
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree...
  • Atalie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Grammielinda, thanks for your post! No- we didn't treat our table with anything. Knock on wood, but I haven't noticed any water marks from the glasses or problems wiping up food spills. Let me know if you find out about any sort of treatment for the reclaimed wood.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Very nice home, thanks for posting. OutletsArt . The discussion section is for sharing and asking for information and design. this is not Craigslist, pretend to have a little class.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH