How to brighten the curb appeal?
carolynlynch
What can I do to brighten the front of my home with accessories? Painting or changing house colors is not an option.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Can you at least paint the front door to give it a pop? Big terracotta pots of plants might help if strategically placed. I've seen them in charcoal/black if you want to intensify the background, but make sure the plants are extremely colorful and bloom for long periods. .
March 31, 2013 at 12:44pm     
Denice Shuty
Change the color of that white service door, the eye goes right to it because of the glaring contrast. It draws attention away from the front door, which is what you want to emphasize. I can't tell where your front door is in this image. What does the landscaping look like?
March 31, 2013 at 12:46pm   
rinqreation
Add lots of white deco, like large (read:huge) white planters next to the stairs. Maybe some brick red or lime green. And I would suggest painting the large horizontal beam over the porch white and the front door too.

March 31, 2013 at 12:46pm     
oneofeleven
How about large (read long) flower boxes hung on the porch railings, if they had trailing ivy and bright flowers it would soften the effect of the dark facade.
March 31, 2013 at 12:52pm   
carolynlynch
These are great ideas - thank you. The entire front of the driveway is paved asphalt - black! There is grass to the left of the garage. All you see is dark and black as you look at the house. The stairs and railings are BLACK.

I love the idea of getting flower boxes or huge teracotta pots in the front area. And I really like the idea of painting both front doors - the service door - dark to tone it down; and the main door is now a wooden door - but like you said it is very hard to see- it is above the garbage bin. I may even get some chairs that are bright for the patio - to lighten it up a bit - or decorative lights or something. The house is facing North and is facing a golf course - very relaxed setting.
March 31, 2013 at 1:08pm   
carolynlynch
here is a better picture from the road
March 31, 2013 at 1:11pm   
rinqreation
Is it rented or just new, because you say painting is no option? If not rented, consider a lighter grey next time the siding needs painting.
March 31, 2013 at 1:38pm   
oneofeleven
Post us some pictures when you've made some of your changes please :)
March 31, 2013 at 2:06pm   
Denice Shuty
You have way too much hardscape for a house that size, with no plantings in between to break it up. Moreover you have created a parking lot that covers the entire width of your house. Even if the vehicles aren't there all the time, the most prominent feature of your house is the asphalt because of its enormous footprint. No amount of accessories are going to counteract that.

So, if you can cut back on the width of the asphalt enabling you to have plantings against the part of the house that juts out (on the right in the photo) that will make a big impact. If your stairs stick out past the front facade remove some of the asphalt on both sides of it to create planting beds so that the asphalt doesn't go all they way to the foundation. You need several trees as well as other landscaping in the front yard as a counter-weight to all that hardscape.

I will upload a photo of a landscape I designed years ago where the builder paved with asphalt all the way up to the house, just like yours. I removed it all and relocated the overflow parking to the unused area off to the side of the garage to keep the front of the house unobstructed. I also created a small planting under front window of the living room window to have some greenery between the paving and the house. Then added big trees to camouflage the parking area.
March 31, 2013 at 2:09pm   
Denice Shuty
The images attached is of a landscape I designed with a side-loading garage just like you have. Although the house style is different, perhaps these will help illustrate ways to improve your curb appeal. The overflow parking is to the left so that cars don't obstruct the view of the house. There is a narrow planting pocket under the front window to cover the foundation and add greenery among all the hardscape. I also subdivided the paver driveway into with a border of flagstone to visually break it up
March 31, 2013 at 2:20pm   
Aegean Designing Whims
I like the idea of adding color in landscaping where you can plant, and then plants in pots where it looks like all asphalt. I like the colors, and I also agree with painting out the white door, to black. Chrysteen
March 31, 2013 at 2:25pm   
oneofeleven
I just had another idea. If you decide to go with large containers think about climbing roses
March 31, 2013 at 4:16pm   
Brightening up the curb appeal
We're cleaning up the outdoors to sell our house. ...
how to increase curb appeal on this plain house
This house is selling for a great price- needs a lot...
How to improve curb appeal?
Thinking about purchasing this home because of the...
How can I add curb appeal to this house??
This is a picture of a picture, please ignore my pen...
Are your dogs allowed on the couch/bed?
Do you let your dogs sit with you on the couch or sleep...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Lighting design
I'm building a new house and need to decide on my lighting....
Dream Bathroom
If you could have any bathroom you want, what would...
Coffe table
I am finally getting close to being done with my family...